Lee Buchanan - Gone to Werder Bremen

Sean

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

I must have my sources muddled up then, sorry!

You’re right in that it’s a Tabloid newspaper like the S*n or Mirror over here instead of a Broadsheet like the Times or something. Think it has a better reputation than our typical red tops though, which isn’t hard given the various scandals and gutter trash journalism of the past. 

1 hour ago, Quagga said:

Did I read that Lee's agent Marco Gabbiadini?
If so, that'll be a double punch to the gut, no fee for someone that's come through the ranks on a technicality and 30 years of thinking Marco was one of the few in that expensively assembled Pickering team that actually cared about the club.

Thought he owned a hotel in York

I think that £400,000 is about right for a championship full back who wasn't even a certain starter, despite the fact that he played for a team that had so many restrictions placed on them due to administration.

Let's be honest, if he stayed and Forsyth re-signed, do you think that he would play more than half of the games this coming season?

He's going, nobody really cares!

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

This is a thread that just keeps giving.

Derby fans getting in a stew about, and giving pelters, to a young player who (allegedly) has ‘robbed’ the Club of banking about £1m because of administrative disadvantage, just a day or two after the Club ‘robbed’ unsecured creditors of about £35m because of administration disadvantage.

Hello. This is the football industry we are discussing, not real life.

Now This News Fire GIF

Fair point to a degree, but Werder Bremen have done nothing to deserve a bargain. If they were paying €1m compensation to the unsecured creditors, instead of giving a huge wodge to Buchanan and his agent, we'd have nothing to complain about. 

2 hours ago, Quagga said:

Did I read that Lee's agent Marco Gabbiadini?
If so, that'll be a double punch to the gut, no fee for someone that's come through the ranks on a technicality and 30 years of thinking Marco was one of the few in that expensively assembled Pickering team that actually cared about the club.

https://quantumsport.co.uk/football/

His firm is, not sure if its Marco specifically - looks like Buchanan is pretty much their star client.

At the end of the day 400k is better then nothing buchanan can do 1 if that's the loyalty he's showing to us hope his career goes down the pan I really liked Buchanan and he's a real good baller but no player is bigger then our club! George Thorne was a million times better and I'd I bet you now he wouldn't of done this if he stayed fit 

It’s a pity but I can’t blame him. Opportunity knocked and he opened the door. I suspect he will develop in to a fine player and have a good career. It was going the right way with us. I liked him because he wasn’t the sort of wing back that didn’t automatically want to be a winger. He defended well, better than his attacking side in my view. (He lacked a bit of courage to drive forward especially given his useful pace) but unlike Cyrus Christie he could tackle and covered his man well. 

Good luck Lee - you’re going to miss us young man 

8 hours ago, Crewton said:

Fair point to a degree, but Werder Bremen have done nothing to deserve a bargain. If they were paying €1m compensation to the unsecured creditors, instead of giving a huge wodge to Buchanan and his agent, we'd have nothing to complain about. 

Weirder Bremen are a football club though, and football clubs are renowned for exploiting contract and liquidation situations. A couple of years back I remember some club securing David Marshall and Nathan Byrne from a financial stricken Wigan for a few pounds. No thoughts then I guess by the club or fan base as to Wigan and it’s creditors. That will be the same Nathan Byrne who will also be getting pelters soon about his loyalty. You really couldn’t make it up. 

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

Weirder Bremen are a football club though, and football clubs are renowned for exploiting contract and liquidation situations. A couple of years back I remember some club securing David Marshall and Nathan Byrne from a financial stricken Wigan for a few pounds. No thoughts then I guess by the club or fan base as to Wigan and it’s creditors. That will be the same Nathan Byrne who will also be getting pelters soon about his loyalty. You really couldn’t make it up. 

We didn't get them for zilch though, and they didn't pull the TUPE dodge. The fees were agreed with the Administrators. I know some fans have complained about Palace signing Plange and Ebiowei, but to me their cases are completely different to what Buchanan and his reps have been up to, and I have no issue with their departures other than Morris putting us in a weak position in the first place and the iniquitous EFL rules that prevented us from extending their contracts. 

11 minutes ago, Crewton said:

We didn't get them for zilch though, and they didn't pull the TUPE dodge. The fees were agreed with the Administrators. I know some fans have complained about Palace signing Plange and Ebiowei, but to me their cases are completely different to what Buchanan and his reps have been up to, and I have no issue with their departures other than Morris putting us in a weak position in the first place and the iniquitous EFL rules that prevented us from extending their contracts. 

To be fair to Buchanan, I doubt a 20 year old footballer is well versed in contract law. As ever it is the agents that are the stain on football. Buchanan has had a chance to join a Bundesliga club and probably pocket himself plenty of cash in the process. Frankly he would be an idiot to turn it down. 

As a footballer I have not seen much progress from him over the couple of years he’s been in the first team but it’s been a tough environment to do so. I think a fresh start will do him good. At the moment I am not sure what he is. I don’t think he is quite dynamic enough to be a full back at the top level and he is too small to play centre back unless on the left of a 3, which may limit him.

11 hours ago, i-Ram said:

This is a thread that just keeps giving.

Derby fans getting in a stew about, and giving pelters, to a young player who (allegedly) has ‘robbed’ the Club of banking about £1m because of administrative disadvantage, just a day or two after the Club ‘robbed’ unsecured creditors of about £35m because of administration disadvantage.

Hello. This is the football industry we are discussing, not real life.

Now This News Fire GIF

You are absolutely correct but to function from Friday onwards as a football club we have to function between the rules of football and so should everyone else 

Okay, I like Lee Buchanan and think he's a useful footballer. I have no problem with him wanting to better himself at a bigger club.

However, he has been with Derby County since 2010. That's 12 years of us training him, feeding him, educating him and helping him generally to develop to where he is in now in the game. We protected him from the limelight after Joinersgate, when he was injured for several months. 

He has cost us a lot of money, not just in wages.

He is still a young man and might have a very bright future ahead of him, not least due to the investment received from Derby County.

For his agents not to recognise this and to use a legal technicality to try and wriggle out of the industry wide compensation clause for academy investment is very disappointing,  in my opinion. 

12 hours ago, GrimsbyRam said:

No, it is because of administration. 

So then Keogh was sacked in line with his contract for misconduct, unfairly as procedure wasn’t followed correctly within the law of the land which probably meant he was due around £80,000 Yet the EFL said we have an extra clause that gives the player an extra chance and the EFL system awarded him £2 million. If the club has extended his contact then then the EFL and the FA should be withholding the transfer of registration so he can’t play until the Germans pay a transfer fee or am I missing something?

31 minutes ago, Crewton said:

We weren’t liquidated either just a new owner which happens all the time in football