The ‘I was right’ thread

Jourdan

Those who were saying we were wrong to give Rooney the manager's job might want to remind themselves we didn't really have a choice. We bought him in as a player coach, Mel was happy how that circumvented FFP regs, and once Cocu went it was hard to see - financially or politically - how we could have given it to anyone else. Cocu was the gamble - were we going to get the one that gave PSV titles and a healthy profit or the one from Turkey that couldn't buy a win? I always thought Rooney was a case of blinded by celebrity and I do not understand what the point of Rosenior was once he was here (before that I get the point he was here to help Cocu learn the English game). 

But, I have had my doubts about Morris since the alleged dressing room incident and certainly since the 'Derby way' comments. Photos drinking outside the ground at Brentford were also a bit too 'Mike Ashley' for me. I think he's always just been the wrong side of where a Chairman should sit.

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It's funny, when we sacked Clough I believed it was the best move and I also firmly believed Mac was a great appointment and believed he would get us promoted.

But what I would give to have Nigel Clough come in now and do a slow rebuild on a budget all over again.

He made some naff signings, but when you think of Brayford, Fielding, Shackell, Keogh, Ward, Russell, Martin, Forsyth, Bryson, Eustace. Honorable mentions for players like Theo Robinson and James Bailey.

There will be bargains galore in a post Covid transfer world, someone like Clough would make the most of them.

Absolutely, irregardless of what league we’re in next season a full rebuild is now urgently overdue. Drive, team-spirit, grit and passion should be priorities in any player we can afford to sign. 

A manager who prioritises these attributes is desperately needed more than anything. Rooney clearly doesn’t inspire confidence in a single one of our players. 

5 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It's funny, when we sacked Clough I believed it was the best move and I also firmly believed Mac was a great appointment and believed he would get us promoted.

But what I would give to have Nigel Clough come in now and do a slow rebuild on a budget all over again.

He made some naff signings, but when you think of Brayford, Fielding, Shackell, Keogh, Ward, Russell, Martin, Forsyth, Bryson, Eustace. Honorable mentions for players like Theo Robinson and James Bailey.

There will be bargains galore in a post Covid transfer world, someone like Clough would make the most of them.

You missed off Jake Buxton on that list

On 04/04/2021 at 12:01, Jourdan said:

Reading L

Norwich L

Blackburn L

Preston L

Birmingham D

Swansea L

Sheff Wed W

4 points

5/6 correct so far @Jourdan. I'll be massively surprised if you end up with 6/7. 

I'll find a really nice trophy gif for you if you're right though. Cheryl based probably.

30 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I think you have missed the irony of it.

Clearly a failed attempt at being ironic on an ironic thread? or were you rebuking me ironically 

Edited by Orphanram

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

“I bet they’ll be some who won’t take the ‘I Was Right’ thread in the jest that was intended.

Yeah, usual suspect...

MR GRUMPY BEAR

image.png.eef6db35615216dc0a98cad0b122d651.png

On 02/05/2021 at 13:45, Jourdan said:

You’re not the only one who is tired. Why do you constantly follow me around trying to get the upper hand?

You keep suggesting I am negative, but people tend to be positive when there is something to be positive about.

That’s what you don’t get - no-one is rejoicing. No-one is glad to be right. No-one is even being negative.

The club is in a mess, so how can you expect sunshine and rainbows? People are just calling it for what it is - a mess!

I’ve seen some terrible sides under Gregory, Brown, Jewell and Clough. Can you honestly be surprised that people like myself anticipate the worst when it comes to Derby County?

Look at that prediction thread the other week about the last 7 games of the season.

You waded in saying that I was negative by predicting we’d only get 4 points from 21.

We are on course to do even worse than that! And yet I am negative?

Give it a rest. This is a tough time for everyone.

I don't follow you around for sure but my point is even when we were winning games you constantly gripe about something its constant you're never happy and you really don't need to remind me of the mess we are in and how it affects moods etc i get it....when we were last in the 3rd tier I went to every game except 3 in the two seasons and if we are relegated this time around I'll still be going to watch.... i remember our first game in the Division 3 ( its hard to say!!!) away at Bournemouth packed like sardines in the away end full of optimism and firm favourites to go up but lost 1-0 and we finished 8th that season but no matter what I always always get right behind the team 

The difference for me this time around is that league 1 has teams like Sunderland Ipswich Portsmouth Charlton and if you say add us and the Wendies becomes a very difficult league and will not be easy , i don't remember many so called big sides in the 3rd division when we were last there.....people moaned about Cocu including you but he didn't have a fit Kazim or Beilik and I'm not so sure he couldn't have done better job than what Rooney has done, at least he had managerial experience.

What I am sure about though is whatever happens on saturday I personally don't want Rooney as manager next season and would be doing my utmost to persuade Wilder or Howe to be our manager IF we are in the championship next season 

31 minutes ago, S8TY said:

What I am sure about though is whatever happens on saturday I personally don't want Rooney as manager next season and would be doing my utmost to persuade Wilder or Howe to be our manager IF we are in the championship next season 

I can't see Wilder coming here. Or Howe for that matter. We aren't prem quality, and these managers obviously feel they've earned a shot at a top team.

I think we need to aim for a lower league manager on the way up. I don't know who would be available, but I'd rather a L2 manager with a success on his record than a rookie ex-Prem star player with no experience.

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

I can't see Wilder coming here. Or Howe for that matter. We aren't prem quality, and these managers obviously feel they've earned a shot at a top team.

I think we need to aim for a lower league manager on the way up. I don't know who would be available, but I'd rather a L2 manager with a success on his record than a rookie ex-Prem star player with no experience.

You're probably right regarding Wilder and Howe its just that I don't see any prem teams going for Wilder so if we stay up why not come to us....

On 01/05/2021 at 23:23, Jourdan said:

Post something Derby County related you were right about and a trophy lifting / medal receiving GIF.

It might be the only success we have for a while.

I’ll start...

Rooney was a terrible signing and a terrible appointment.

Womens Football GIF by FIFA

I think you're wrong. Rooney long term will be decent, just have to get past Saturday and still be in this league.