Relegation watch

Spanish

9 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Just like Bolton or Bury or etc etc 

How are they doing?

According to Wikipedia, Bolton's average attendance is 11,200, Bury's is 3,800, and Derby's is 26,600.

If we get 15,000 more than Bolton, for 23 home games, that's 300,000 more ticket sales per year. At only £20 per ticket, that's £6 million a year more income. Compared with Bury, it's going on for 500,000 extra ticket sales per year. And all of the other income that comes from fans.

I think that's why we're still in the top 20 when it comes to points scored in the top division.

We'rea football town / city with a size that places us towards the bottom of the top division, or the top of the second division. And if we go bankrupt, we'll continue to find our place in the natural order of things.

To be honest, we have stagnated in the second tier - and, perversely, getting relegated might be the quickest way to the premier League.

I don't understand the consequences of bankruptcy, but because the reason would not be a lack of future income stream from fans, I cannot believe that it would be a terminal step. It would be the previous financial decisions that caused the debt, and not a reduction in 'customers'. It must be different from a shop or factory going bankrupt, because there is no future customer base for their products, or no future potential to make profit.

30 minutes ago, Ramley Apple said:

Good result. Rotherham are beyond poo; there's no way they're getting three points from Cardiff.

So survival is in our hands. Earn at least a draw against an almost-as-poo Wednesday side and it's job done.

Trouble is we are the most poo of all according to the form book. My worry is we couldn’t beat an egg...

So we know that a point *might* not be enough for us on Saturday now. I posted before that in a way, it might help our preparations in some way than knowing a draw will definitely do.

I hope we go out to win. Playing for a draw when a loss definitely sends you down is far, far too risky. It will backfire. At least if we go out to win, and Rotherham get turned over by Cardiff, then we'd have at least a two-goal buffer between us and League 1.

Sheffield Wednesday and Rotherham now both know they have to win, anything less and they're down. Both also know that they could win and still go down. I'm not sure who will be feeling the pressure more to be honest.

The fact is that all three teams have the capability of winning, despite having poor form, and sitting at the bottom of the table.

On average, we still have the best chance of survival - but it's subject to the moments of luck that happen in a football match.

Replay the last day of the season multiple times, and in average, we'll survive. But there's only going to be one go.

At least Derby has had a week bonding in Swansea. So, we'll have the best team spirit, won't we? Maybe they should invite a few fans to these bonding sessions, if they want to help embed passion for the club within the team!

5 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

How are they doing?

According to Wikipedia, Bolton's average attendance is 11,200, Bury's is 3,800, and Derby's is 26,600.

If we get 15,000 more than Bolton, for 23 home games, that's 300,000 more ticket sales per year. At only £20 per ticket, that's £6 million a year more income. Compared with Bury, it's going on for 500,000 extra ticket sales per year. And all of the other income that comes from fans.

I think that's why we're still in the top 20 when it comes to points scored in the top division.

We'rea football town / city with a size that places us towards the bottom of the top division, or the top of the second division. And if we go bankrupt, we'll continue to find our place in the natural order of things.

To be honest, we have stagnated in the second tier - and, perversely, getting relegated might be the quickest way to the premier League.

I don't understand the consequences of bankruptcy, but because the reason would not be a lack of future income stream from fans, I cannot believe that it would be a terminal step. It would be the previous financial decisions that caused the debt, and not a reduction in 'customers'. It must be different from a shop or factory going bankrupt, because there is no future customer base for their products, or no future potential to make profit.

Mate Derby have to give refunds to all this seasons season ticket holders or give them a ticket for next season at I would imagine a reduction in Div 1 .

I don’t know the ins and outs of TV money but if we go down I suspect we lose about 8 Million on that next season. 

MM wants to sell the club and is at the moment funding us out of his own pocket and thats admirable in my eyes  

That’s just for starters and it’s very difficult to get promoted back to the Championship.

You make good points but I would rather we stay up .

The financial situation at Derby would be enhanced with a takeover particularly if we stay up .

Its not just the players and Management that would suffer if we go down it would be the cleaners the catering staff the ticket office staff the event staff the ground staff etc etc .

It all sounds so wonderful to visit clubs like Accringtom Stanley and Burto etc etc .

Whatever happens I will still support the Rams 

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Rotherham will not beat Cardiff. They will get no favours and Harry Wilson is bang in form. 

The team that survives will be playing at Pride Park on Saturday. Which one...I couldn’t tell you, but I also don’t think we’re going to lose 7 in a row. 

Think we will start next season in league 1 badly? How many in a row do you think we will lose? 10? Hoping to get Cheltenham at home first game to at least get a point on the board and stop the rot! 

Just now, Kernow said:

So we know that a point *might* not be enough for us on Saturday now. I posted before that in a way, it might help our preparations in some way than knowing a draw will definitely do.

I hope we go out to win. Playing for a draw when a loss definitely sends you down is far, far too risky. It will backfire. At least if we go out to win, and Rotherham get turned over by Cardiff, then we'd have at least a two-goal buffer between us and League 1.

Sheffield Wednesday and Rotherham now both know they have to win, anything less and they're down. Both also know that they could win and still go down. I'm not sure who will be feeling the pressure more to be honest.

I don't think championship players tend to be able to understand complicated tactics (or the fancy multicoloured boxes of Tic Tacs either)!

I think that it's the same thing that leads to teams losing after playing a weakened team for a cup match. I think they struggle to get their head around the concept of the expectation to do their best to win changing from match to match.

And I don't think that our team understood what Cocu tried to tell them either. I suspect that he expected the players to take on more of their own responsibility, rather than being told what to do.

Having a plan B is important, I think; but the best Championship teams always seem to have an effective Plan A, which they get better and better and better at.

Dare I digress, but I think Rooney started well, because he began with a simple plan. Like anyone who's world class, they can make complicated things look easy. And I think the players understood it. And, prrhaps things deteriorated, when he tried to adapt to the opponent's too much. Perhaps, like Cocu, he expected too much from the players.

So, like you, I hope that we do not play for a draw on Saturday because they need a plan that includes playing to score goals.

Personally, I think that the biggest problem in a crunch match like this, is that it tends to require defensive tactics.

Over a season, it's fine to take risks, because, in the main, goals come from unexpected moments of flair. And over a season, more games will be won than lost.

But in a one-off match, I fear that both sides may play defensively. And I fear that we will hate them for it, because they may be more likely to appear to be playing without passion.

PS. And here you have had my full and frank admission that I clearly do not understand very much about football!

13 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Mate Derby have to give refunds to all this seasons season ticket holders or give them a ticket for next season at I would imagine a reduction in Div 1 .

I don’t know the ins and outs of TV money but if we go down I suspect we lose about 8 Million on that next season. 

MM wants to sell the club and is at the moment funding us out of his own pocket and thats admirable in my eyes  

That’s just for starters and it’s very difficult to get promoted back to the Championship.

The financial situation at Derby would be enhanced with a takeover particularly if we stay up .

Its not just the players and Management that would suffer if we go down it would be the cleaners the catering staff the ticket office staff the event staff the ground staff etc etc .

It all sounds so wonderful to visit clubs like Accringtom Stanley and Burto etc etc .

Yep. You are right. Surviving. Stabilising. Winning. By far the best option!

Given the form of us and those around us, I'm a weird state of being both resigned to being in league 1 and struggling in the Championship next year. Both could happen and I'd feel exactly the same way: extremely disappointed with how the last two seasons have turned out and disheartened at watching the worst football I've seen in a Derby shirt, with little light at the end of the tunnel.

I'll forever be a Rams fan but whatever happens, this is an extremely trying time to be Rams fan. 

22 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Sheffield Wednesday and Rotherham now both know they have to win, anything less and they're down. Both also know that they could win and still go down.

This is a really good way of looking at it. I'm by no means confident but we really should put it to bed this time. People will say the pressure is on us and it's a 'free hit' for them. Nonsense. They will be feeling the pressure for sure, they HAVE to win.

18 minutes ago, Curtains said:

PS. I wasn't saying that it would be wonderful. And if we went bankrupt, I'm not sure we'd have to pay season ticket holders, or the expensive players, or the ex managers...

I wonder if our Spanish benefactor would still buy the club at a snip, if we were relegated; or if it is Championship dependent? 

New blood should give things a boost, and if he still comes in after relegation, then I think that that should give us hope.

We’ll need a new manager next season either way. We have a very inexperienced squad and have plenty more players out of contract. It’s a massive task who ever is in charge next season and whichever league were in. I personally think we’ll be battling relegation whether it be in league one or the championship so an old head is definitely needed 

44 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

So, like you, I hope that we do not play for a draw on Saturday because they need a plan that includes playing to score goals.

Personally, I think that the biggest problem in a crunch match like this, is that it tends to require defensive tactics.

The reason why I don't want us to play for a draw, is because we're playing an opponent who absolutely have to win. If we were playing a mid-table side with nothing to play for, and knew a draw would still keep us safe, then maybe that would be the right plan.

However, I have not seen anything from this current set of players or coaching staff which suggests we would be able to set-up and have the mentality and organisation to stay firm for an entire 90 minutes. Us trying to hold back an onslaught of pressure is going to result in a goal conceded at some point, and then what? We suddenly have to do something that we also aren't very good at, clawing our way back in to a game.

When we're drawing, there's too many ways the table can swing rapidly out of our favour in the blink of an eye. If we can win this game then we don't need to worry about anybody else. I don't want to be level with Sheffield Wednesday and constantly checking to see if Rotherham have taken the lead in Cardiff for the whole game. That might happen in the 89th minute, and then we give ourselves no time to win our own game.

Worry about ourselves first rather than trying to do the bare minimum please.

18 minutes ago, Kernow said:

The reason why I don't want us to play for a draw, is because we're playing an opponent who absolutely have to win. If we were playing a mid-table side with nothing to play for, and knew a draw would still keep us safe, then maybe that would be the right plan.

However, I have not seen anything from this current set of players or coaching staff which suggests we would be able to set-up and have the mentality and organisation to stay firm for an entire 90 minutes. Us trying to hold back an onslaught of pressure is going to result in a goal conceded at some point, and then what? We suddenly have to do something that we also aren't very good at, clawing our way back in to a game.

When we're drawing, there's too many ways the table can swing rapidly out of our favour in the blink of an eye. If we can win this game then we don't need to worry about anybody else. I don't want to be level with Sheffield Wednesday and constantly checking to see if Rotherham have taken the lead in Cardiff for the whole game. That might happen in the 89th minute, and then we give ourselves no time to win our own game.

Worry about ourselves first rather than trying to do the bare minimum please.

It's a shame as the ability to keep them contained for 70 minutes would make them desperate and one goal on the break as they lose shape would be enough.  Unfortunately, we are not solid enough to try it.