Rooney In!

Inverurie Ram

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It wasn't all his fault at all - that is your interpretation. He had a hard job, I just didn't like how he did it and couldn't see it working in the Championship.

? but you can with Wazza. You said in an earlier post that Cocu had to go because of results ?. Just answer a simple question for me, based on results, who has the better record as Manager of Derby, Cocu or Wazza? If it is the former how come you are not whining on that Wazza should be sacked, just like you did with Cocu? That would be logical and consistent surely ? Answer this simple question and we can at last move on ?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Get a grip.

I bet they didn't all hate O'Leary, just your perception of them.

You just can't shut the duck up can you. 

I'm not bothered about the position you choose to take and I'm not trying to talk you down from it. 

I dont agree with you and indulged your sniping to demonstrate why the position I've chosen is not unprecedented. 

Dunno why I bothered. Should just have descended to your level and called you all sorts for wanting to support Rooney. 

image.png

3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I'm not bothered about the position you choose to take and I'm not trying to talk you down from it. 

I dont agree with you and indulged your sniping to demonstrate why the position I've chosen is not unprecedented. 

Dunno why I bothered. Should just have descended to your level and called you all sorts for wanting to support Rooney. 

Where have I called YOU anything?

I don't know why you bother either. I don't need talking down from anything you've some sort of point to prove?

Edited by RoyMac5

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who is re-writing history?

Seriously why bother asking my opinion if you know the answer. Cocu had a difficult job. So what.

You didn't say so at the time. That's the point.

Why is everyone attacking you now? Because of the contrast between your support for Rooney and condemnation of Cocu, the inconsistency is staggering.

But you'll never accept that. So, it's unfair and pointless to keep trying to make you see.

Anyhow, let's all hope that Rooney takes his chance, learns and does much better.

Edited by IslandExile

Sometimes you have to fight and work hard through the hard times to get your rewards, the good times sometimes follow.

I have faith and respect for people that work hard and believe having that faith will see us all enjoying the rewards.

Success will not be handed on a plate to us, we all have to work hard together to earn it.

ROONEY.............ROONEY..........ROONEY................ROONEY.............

I understand the argument that we don't have enough money to sack Rooney. That is the only one that makes sense to me.

Valerien Ismael had Barnsley in the playoffs tonight, they lost the game but they gave as good as they got and you could say they deserved at least a draw. He currently has a 58% win rate at Barnsley. Yes he brought some players in, but he barely spent anything and transformed their team. I don't know that many of their players that would get into our team. 

**That** is the power of a manager with vision, and an idea of what he wants to achieve. And that is why I can't see Rooney ever being a success here. He has no vision, regardless of what he proclaims in the press. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I understand the argument that we don't have enough money to sack Rooney. That is the only one that makes sense to me.

Valerien Ismael had Barnsley in the playoffs tonight, they lost the game but they gave as good as they got and you could say they deserved at least a draw. He currently has a 58% win rate at Barnsley. Yes he brought some players in, but he barely spent anything and transformed their team. I don't know that many of their players that would get into our team. 

**That** is the power of a manager with vision, and an idea of what he wants to achieve. And that is why I can't see Rooney ever being a success here. He has no vision, regardless of what he proclaims in the press. 

Agree with a lot of that but think, the way they are playing, half of the Barnsley players would get in our team. To say after 35 games that he will now start working on a style of play sums it all up really.....Mel has made some errors in his time....appointing a rookie Manager at the time he did for me is right up there with the best of them...

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Agree with a lot of that but think, the way they are playing, half of the Barnsley players would get in our team. To say after 35 games that he will now start working on a style of play sums it all up really.....Mel has made some errors in his time....appointing a rookie Manager at the time he did for me is right up there with the best of them...

They are playing that way because they have a clear plan, they're well coached and they understand their role in the team. Our players can be all of that too, but not under Rooney. I don't think most of their players would get into our team, and if they did they'd immediately look worse. 

Edited by Andicis

4 hours ago, David said:

Here goes.

I think it's time to draw a line under last season, and get behind Rooney giving him a break for next season. Put your pitchforks down, give me a chance before you smash the keyboard.

I'm not suggesting giving him a free pass for what was a poor end to the season, but we can't dwell on the past and must understand the position we are in financially, even if you cannot get on board with the hand Rooney was dealt with was not the greatest, look at it from the financial point of view.

Rooney walks? Entirely different situation, if he receives the assurances that he can bring players in and compete, I just don't see him walking, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not fired up even more to prove himself. 

Sack him? Now this is the question, how much will that cost, can we afford it?

The reply to that will be, but we can't afford to drop into League 1, no we can't, but with a summer of recruitments using his contacts is a risk worth willing to take in my opinion, even if you give him until October to not have us in any kind of relegation battle.

Things don't work out, we may at least have some decent players at the club to work with. Lampard with Tomori, Mount and Wilson for example to then bring in an experienced disaster fighter to keep us up.

Would you give Rooney a couple of months in exchange for extra funds to purchase a player or two than showing him the door now?

What even are the expectations for next season? Please don't tell me we have any fans sat here thinking top 6 minimum, in my mind a 10th to 16th unspectacular season would be acceptable as a building block. 

Is Rooney capable of that? I don't see why not, let's not forget the weeks we were up there with the best in the form table before Bielik got injured, now if he has the players, the squad, I don't see that as being a totally unrealistic target. 

What Cocu would have done with Bielik and CKR for that matter is irrelevant now, we'll never know.

Fans will hopefully be back next season, let's not walk into the opening game with a toxic atmosphere booing and calling for the blokes head, look at the scenes outside Pride Park pre Sheffield Wednesday game, the players didn't deserve any of that really, but right now we need to play our part however hard that maybe for some of you. 

There is a huge negative cloud above this club right now, I just feel that by adding to that with weekly demands for Rooney's head will offer nothing positive to the current situation we find ourselves in.

Give him a chance, couple of months that's all. Regardless of who the owner is, I don't see him being afford much longer than that if we look to be heading into trouble once again.

So we're going to give him 2 months to prove that he still is the same Rooney Mk 1 that we saw last season so we can then spend the rest of the season playing catch-up again as we were under Cocu before he left.

If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's almost certainly a duck. Don't know why we'd want to wait another 2 months to find out what we already know, seems bizarre. 

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

So we're going to give him 2 months to prove that he still is the same Rooney Mk 1 that we saw last season so we can then spend the rest of the season playing catch-up again as we were under Cocu before he left.

If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's almost certainly a duck. Don't know why we'd want to wait another 2 months to find out what we already know, seems bizarre. 

Perhaps in 2 months we will have the funds to get rid. For me it is not just the failure on the pitch that I want him gone, it is his part in the circus we have now become...

8 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

image.png

No laughing emoji? You ok hun ? ?

8 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Point of information..... Despite feeling Rooney's arrival undermined Cocu (instigated by Mel, press articles about next manager etc).... After Cocu had left and I heard a few interviews from Rooney, I was actually one of the first to support the idea of appointing him.

I preferred the idea of a hungry, young dynamic manager to one of the journeymen (Big Sam, Pullis, Warnock etc). And I don't like Terry, the other candidate mooted at the time.

Why I've changed my mind is simply because of the approach that Rooney adopted.

Sure, he's inherited a poor squad, injuries and not just to Bielik have hit us hard. But sheesh. Changing tactics, lineups every game. Matching the opposition. Bizarre substitutions.

All supposedly justified because we were playing for the points. Well that wasn't terribly successful.

So I am sorry. I have totally lost confidence.

But yes, I hope I am wrong. Rooney will be our manager going into next season. So I want him to succeed as much as I would want any manager to succeed.

I just hope and pray he adopts a different approach.

I think this best sums up my feelings towards Rooney, too, except that I have not quite totally lost confidence yet! 

I understand fans who fear a repeat of tactics and results next season but when I factor in all the issues swirling around the club currently I am not sure further change would be helpful.

He also set up a demoralised team to try and get out of the situation they found themselves in, so he wasn't starting from a level playing field in that respect. I do believe him when he says that he will approach thing differently when he starts on an equal footing (?) with the other clubs in the division.

I do think Rooney understands football and he will know what type of player this team is missing. If he has enough scope to sign a few players that fit this (as people have pointed out, these do not necessarily need to cost a lot) then I would still like to see what he can do with them. 

I’ve not gone through all the pages on this but can everyone chill the f out?

FWIW I thought at the time that Cocu was underachieving, in hindsight I was probably wrong and rated the squad too highly, didn’t appreciate the reality of our financial problems and how much his hands were tied in terms of players. Cocu with a budget (or even with key players fit) may well have been a different story. I’ll admit my opinion has changed in that respect. It’s partly due to that that I think Rooney should have time managing here with (fingers crossed) none of the issues that have plagued us for over a season. There’s been good and bad with Rooney, he’s made some good tactical decisions before and during games and also some stinkers but then a lot of managers do. It’s a fine line between success and failure, Lampard got us into the play-off final but would he have done without the transfers and loans he secured? 

We’re asking Rooney to make us dinner with whatever we have left in the fridge and hoping he comes up with a delicious meal we can all enjoy. It’s unlikely to happen, some items are past their best, others don’t go with each other having been purchased for difference recipes. Let him go shopping with a meal in mind and we’re likely to have a better meal and if not then we can call him a rubbish cook. 
(Sorry, I love an analogy)

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think this best sums up my feelings towards Rooney, too, except that I have not quite totally lost confidence yet! 

I understand fans who fear a repeat of tactics and results next season but when I factor in all the issues swirling around the club currently I am not sure further change would be helpful.

He also set up a demoralised team to try and get out of the situation they found themselves in, so he wasn't starting from a level playing field in that respect. I do believe him when he says that he will approach thing differently when he starts on an equal footing (?) with the other clubs in the division.

I do think Rooney understands football and he will know what type of player this team is missing. If he has enough scope to sign a few players that fit this (as people have pointed out, these do not necessarily need to cost a lot) then I would still like to see what he can do with them. 

1 minute ago, WilkoRam said:

I’ve not gone through all the pages on this but can everyone chill the f out?

FWIW I thought at the time that Cocu was underachieving, in hindsight I was probably wrong and rated the squad too highly, didn’t appreciate the reality of our financial problems and how much his hands were tied in terms of players. Cocu with a budget (or even with key players fit) may well have been a different story. I’ll admit my opinion has changed in that respect. It’s partly due to that that I think Rooney should have time managing here with (fingers crossed) none of the issues that have plagued us for over a season. There’s been good and bad with Rooney, he’s made some good tactical decisions before and during games and also some stinkers but then a lot of managers do. It’s a fine line between success and failure, Lampard got us into the play-off final but would he have done without the transfers and loans he secured? 

We’re asking Rooney to make us dinner with whatever we have left in the fridge and hoping he comes up with a delicious meal we can all enjoy. It’s unlikely to happen, some items are past their best, others don’t go with each other having been purchased for difference recipes. Let him go shopping with a meal in mind and we’re likely to have a better meal and if not then we can call him a rubbish cook. 
(Sorry, I love an analogy)

I hope you're both right. Of course I do.

I would also like to see how Rooney approaches the second season - especially if the off field issues are resolved (if only).

I just hope that, by trusting him, we don't lose Sibley, Buchanan, Knight or Jozwiak (or play Sibley and Knight in the wrong positions).

We need better players around them - and better tactics - then they'll come good.