Rooney In!

Inverurie Ram

1 minute ago, Highgate said:

And surely that startling admission (among others) should have worried any Rams fan. First of all it goes without saying that every team is trying to get the points. However, openly admitting that there was no consistent game plan for the majority of a season is surely almost unprecedented by a manager.  That there is a strong positive correlation between a team knowing what it's supposed to be doing every week and results is surely not a controversial statement. 

It's hardly any wonder we saw player's performance go backwards. They were being asked to prepare differently and play differently for every single match. 

We are really lucky we stayed up at all. 

Beggars belief doesn’t it.....

Just now, IslandExile said:

He did.

And will he adopt the same approach next season?

With no takeover, a possible points deduction, no transfer budget, we're likely to struggle again. 

Well hopefully not, if you listened to him he said he would work on style of play over the summer.

12 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

And 1 win in 15, 6 losses on the trot, tactics, lineups changing every game and bizarre substitutions give you confidence that  Rooney "gets it"?

Look what Hughton achieved at F*rest or Pearson at Bristol. What the F do you expect Rooney to achieve with the hand he was dealt? Plus how difficult it was for the players - they didn't have the easiest time. But yeah whatever.

Edited by RoyMac5

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Look what Hughton achieved at F*rest or Pearson at Bristol. What the F do you expect Rooney to achieve with the hand he was dealt?

Surely you must have expected better than what Cocu produced when you were calling for his head eh...that he has failed to do..but you still brown nose him...bizarre to say the least ??

2 hours ago, David said:

Here goes.

I think it's time to draw a line under last season, and get behind Rooney giving him a break for next season. Put your pitchforks down, give me a chance before you smash the keyboard.

I'm not suggesting giving him a free pass for what was a poor end to the season, but we can't dwell on the past and must understand the position we are in financially, even if you cannot get on board with the hand Rooney was dealt with was not the greatest, look at it from the financial point of view.

Rooney walks? Entirely different situation, if he receives the assurances that he can bring players in and compete, I just don't see him walking, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not fired up even more to prove himself. 

Sack him? Now this is the question, how much will that cost, can we afford it?

The reply to that will be, but we can't afford to drop into League 1, no we can't, but with a summer of recruitments using his contacts is a risk worth willing to take in my opinion, even if you give him until October to not have us in any kind of relegation battle.

Things don't work out, we may at least have some decent players at the club to work with. Lampard with Tomori, Mount and Wilson for example to then bring in an experienced disaster fighter to keep us up.

Would you give Rooney a couple of months in exchange for extra funds to purchase a player or two than showing him the door now?

What even are the expectations for next season? Please don't tell me we have any fans sat here thinking top 6 minimum, in my mind a 10th to 16th unspectacular season would be acceptable as a building block. 

Is Rooney capable of that? I don't see why not, let's not forget the weeks we were up there with the best in the form table before Bielik got injured, now if he has the players, the squad, I don't see that as being a totally unrealistic target. 

What Cocu would have done with Bielik and CKR for that matter is irrelevant now, we'll never know.

Fans will hopefully be back next season, let's not walk into the opening game with a toxic atmosphere booing and calling for the blokes head, look at the scenes outside Pride Park pre Sheffield Wednesday game, the players didn't deserve any of that really, but right now we need to play our part however hard that maybe for some of you. 

There is a huge negative cloud above this club right now, I just feel that by adding to that with weekly demands for Rooney's head will offer nothing positive to the current situation we find ourselves in.

Give him a chance, couple of months that's all. Regardless of who the owner is, I don't see him being afford much longer than that if we look to be heading into trouble once again.

I don't really disagree with a lot of the points you've made in this. Not all that surprised to see this post after that interview and those Owen Bradley tweets today, but fair is fair. 

He was dealt an awful hand for his first spell in management. He was getting results when Bielik was in the team. He is likely to be able to acquire some pretty decent signings, be that loan or permanent, much akin to Lampard when he was here. I also don't think it's worth dredging up Cocu anymore in regards to Rooney. His time has come and gone now. And expectations will not be wild and disproportionate next season. Or at least, they won't be from me anyway. Mid-table would be just fine.

But does he deserve this job? Does he deserve it?

Based on his 30+ games in charge so far? No. 

Did he deserve it in the first place? I would say no. But that's come and gone now.

Has he kept his job other than anything other to do with the fact that his name is Wayne Rooney and that we are absolutely skint? I don't think so. If his name was Micheal Tonge he would of been shown the door months ago. Well, let's be honest, he wouldn't have even gotten the job in the first place. 

So where do we go from here?

Let's be brutally honest...95% of the fanbase could vote in any poll anywhere you like and it wouldn't matter a jot. He isn't going anywhere. Not under Mel, and certainly not under any new consortium that he may or may not be courting himself.

So therefore, we sort of have to get behind him, don't we? He is going to be here whether we like it or not. Whether he deserves it or not. I personally can't stomach him, the cult of personality he brings with him, nor can I bare watching this club turning into Wayne Rooney FC, which it has been since the day Mel signed him. I don't want to see him as the manager of this football team. But he is.

So, I guess, in essence, I agree with you. A huge part of my initial problem with his appointment was that it wasn't appropriate to hire a rookie in that season, considering the way it had gone. I think I was proved right on that.

But a new season is a chance for a fresh start. He will get a few months, and that will be more than he deserves.

Edited by Nuwtfly

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I don't really disagree with a lot of the points you've made in this. Not all that surprised to see this post after that interview and those Owen Bradley tweets today, but fair is far. 

He was dealt an awful hand for his first spell in management. He was getting results when Bielik was in the team. He is likely to be able to acquire some pretty decent signings, be that loan of permanent, much akin to Lampard when he was here. I also don't think it's worth dredging up Cocu anymore in regards to Rooney. His time has come and gone now. And expectations will not be wild and disproportionate next season. Or at least, they won't be from me anyway. Mid-table would be just fine.

But does he deserve this job? Does he deserve it?

Based on his 30+ games in charge so far? No. 

Did he deserve it in the first place? I would say no. But that's come and gone now.

Has he kept his job other than anything other to do with the fact that his name is Wayne Rooney and that we are absolutely skint? I don't think so. If his name was Micheal Tonge he would of been shown the door months ago. Well, let's be honest, he wouldn't have even gotten the job in the first place. 

So where do we go from here?

Let's be brutally honest...95% of the fanbase could vote in any poll anywhere you like and it wouldn't matter a jot. He isn't going anywhere. Not under Mel, and certainly not under any new consortium that he may or may not be courting himself.

So therefore, we sort of have to get behind him, don't we? He is going to be here whether we like it or not. Whether he deserves it or not. I personally can't stomach him, the cult of personality he brings with him, nor can I bare watching this club turning into Wayne Rooney FC, which it has been since the day Mel signed him. I don't want to see him as the manager of this football team. But he is.

So, I guess, in essence, I agree with you. A huge part of my initial problem with his appointment was that it wasn't appropriate to hire a rookie in that season, considering the way it had gone. I think I was proved right on that.

But a new season is a chance for a fresh start. He will get a few months, and that will be more than he deserves.

Very balanced post. What I think it is worth reiterating is that fans like me and Island Exile who want Wazza gone will still get behind the team 100% and support them, just like the Cocu out brigade such as Roy Mac 5 did. Any suggestions otherwise are nonsense ?

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I don't really disagree with a lot of the points you've made in this. Not all that surprised to see this post after that interview and those Owen Bradley tweets today, but fair is fair. 

I haven’t seen the interview yet tbh, been in the tattooist all day, I did see Owen Bradley’s tweet to you which I liked but yeah, I’ll watch it tomorrow 

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

So the point being, if the club either want or need to retain Rooneys services next season can the anti Rooney supporters get behind him? Goodness knows we have enough external detractors without falling out ourselves. Anyway, as always UTR

Yes, just as we asked the same from the anti Cocu camp #COYR

21 minutes ago, David said:

I haven’t seen the interview yet tbh, been in the tattooist all day, I did see Owen Bradley’s tweet to you which I liked but yeah, I’ll watch it tomorrow 

I suspect you could probably guess the angle of it. 

8 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

So the point being, if the club either want or need to retain Rooneys services next season can the anti Rooney supporters get behind him? Goodness knows we have enough external detractors without falling out ourselves. Anyway, as always UTR

It's possible to get behind the team, the players, the club whilst being antipathetic towards the manager. 

6 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

It's possible to get behind the team, the players, the club whilst being antipathetic towards the manager. 

Lol. How, when the manager (eventually) picks the players, sets up the way they play and represents the Club? Good on you for trying. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. How, when the manager (eventually) picks the players, sets up the way they play and represents the Club? Good on you for trying. 

God, Roy, you and some of your Pro-Rooney troop really do such a good of finding the common ground with people that don't share your opinion. I really can't understand why you lot don't win us all over. 

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

God, Roy, you and some of your Pro-Rooney troop really do such a good of finding the common ground with people that don't share your opinion. I really can't understand why you lot don't win us all over. 

Tell me how you can reconcile then mate?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

What’s that mean Roy Mac ? Are you implying that you didn’t get behind the team when you so vocally wanted Cocu out ?That’s really sad. I always get behind the team 100% regardless and will continue to do so #COYR

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

There are examples. David O'Leary at villa was not a liked or popular manager, but the support stayed with me team. 

Rooney does not represent my club. He's just temping for a short while.