Reading FC

Spanish

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

Pigeon hole the parachute payments specifically for paying off premier league contracts. Put it in a protected pot that can be used for no other purpose. Simples. 

parachute payments are there so that clubs don’t have to be afraid of putting players on big expensive contracts only to get relegated and still have to pay them off with a fraction of the income. But they abuse the payments by buying even more expensive players, hoping they’ll just get promoted again within the 3 years. That’s not what parachute payments are for. 

so it shouldn’t be too difficult to just clarify what the payments are for, and make sure they’re spent only on that. 

FFP also includes amortisation of player values though which would be a further issue. Maybe, if you included parachute payments as a general 'loss saving' pot that could be a more useful mechanism. 

34 minutes ago, Spanish said:

"As a result of these Financial Fair Play amendments, clubs will now report on a four-year period that covers 2017/18-2020/21 instead of three years 2017/18-2019/20."

"However, years three and four will be assessed together with the total Adjusted Earning Before Tax from both periods averaged into one reporting period."

I think 2020 is lost as a year where penalties will be awarded.  Muck up Y4 and I think they can expect significant scrutiny.  Still their timing was lucky on the face of it.  Not sure but as it currently reads the 2022 reporting will be for 3 years

Yet they're included on the EFL Embargo list for "Breach of Profit and Sustainability Rules"

6 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Yet they're included on the EFL Embargo list for "Breach of Profit and Sustainability Rules"

soft embargo which is a different world to our situation however unfair it is.  The EFL make a rule change to create a 4 year period, I can't see how thye can punish a club in those circumstances.  The note may relate to filing obligations

4 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I was thinking of something similar. Instead of ringfencing it, make it so that the clubs can nominate say 3 players, and the league will pay up their contracts. They effectively become free agents and can sign where they want to. Would need some rules in as to when players are eligible (don't sign a player last minute at ridiculous wages thinking it doesn't matter if you go down because someone will pay it off) but might work.

Unfortunately there's too many teams thinking they could benefit from windfall relegation parachute payments for it to change. Unless there's a consensus that it's causing pain not absolving pain, it'll remain like it is for the foreseeable future.

It’s just so frustrating that the rules were clearly badly written, not fit for purpose, and so full of obvious loopholes that the loopholes have just become the way now. 

‘oh, the premier league have given us this massive pot of money to help soften the blow of getting relegated and make sure we don’t go out of business while paying off all these premier league players’ contracts, that’s nice of them. Should we a) keep some of that aside in a little savings account to pay off their contracts, or should we b) spend it on even more expensive premier league quality players in a desperate bid to go up, thereby putting ourselves at massive risk if we don’t, destabilising the transfer market in the championship and basically poo all over the reason we were given the money in the first place.’

’is there a rule against option b? No? Then let’s do it.’

Or to put it another way: your kid’s got a gambling problem, you lend them a bunch of money to pay off their debts, on the promise they’ll never do it again. But instead of talking directly to the creditors you give then money to your kid and trust him to sort it out. He spends all the money on more gambling. If he can just back the right horse he’ll have enough to pay off his debts and double his money, it’s a fool proof plan. And for some reason you’re surprised when he ends up flat broke living in league 1. 

2 hours ago, Shipley Ram said:

Look like they are going for promotion or broke, I hope they pip Middlesbrough to the last playoff place but fail to go up.

Oh no, now you’ve out that thought in my head, I’m going to end up kind of hoping boro win a few games, just enough for them to flirt with playoffs and finish 7th, which makes me feel very dirty. 

Good to see we might have a new team to take part in the "Well, ACTUALLY" Derby.

Previous rivals have included Burnley and Middlesbrough.

Some spectacularly tedious one-upmanship regarding accounting, FFP and players' wages on twitter. There is no spreadsheet not worth highlighting, no obscure ITK account not worth quote tweeting in the quest to prove that well, actually, my club isn't as bad as yours.

Fantastic work everyone, keep it up. This is what the beautiful game is all about.

On 02/09/2021 at 08:26, Duracell said:

Good to see we might have a new team to take part in the "Well, ACTUALLY" Derby.

Previous rivals have included Burnley and Middlesbrough.

Some spectacularly tedious one-upmanship regarding accounting, FFP and players' wages on twitter. There is no spreadsheet not worth highlighting, no obscure ITK account not worth quote tweeting in the quest to prove that well, actually, my club isn't as bad as yours.

Fantastic work everyone, keep it up. This is what the beautiful game is all about.

It’s really not surprising that people associated with clubs that try to stick to the rules get upset with clubs that bend or break every rule in the book. Gibson seems to get a lot of stick on here, but to outsiders he just looks like a good owner getting exasperated by some of the weasels he has to compete with.

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

It’s really not surprising that people associated with clubs that try to stick to the rules get upset with clubs that bend or break every rule in the book. Gibson seems to get a lot of stick on here, but to outsiders he just looks like a good owner getting exasperated by some of the weasels he has to compete with.

Even if he does use his Haulage company to pay Boros tax bill.

6 hours ago, Leveller said:

In fact, no, I can’t just leave it at the above comment. The whole reason the likes of Mel have to find loopholes and squeeze out every possible revenue boosting scheme is precisely because of the likes of Gibson using his parachute payments in ways that we’re not intended. Buying over priced championship players, paying ridiculous wages, destabilising the market. And it’s hilarious that he failed miserably in his gambit and now he’s just ‘one of us’, trying to fight tooth and nail against the parachute payments clubs, hoping that maybe, maybe, one will slip up and they can sneak back up through the play offs. Cos top two are basically wrapped up before a ball is kicked. And Gibson has been a part of the that problem. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who is a Reading fan and he told me they went for broke last season. They will surely have repercussions.

They signed Puscas and Joao with the purpose of either them firing them to promotion, or selling them off for profits which hasn’t happened.

Their one saving grace is Olise was sold for decent money. And Ejaria is another who could fetch a good fee.

The main difference between Reading and Derby is they still have assets to sell. We unfortunately don’t have anybody you could realistically sell for £5m+, regardless of how much we rate Sibley, Knight, Bird and Buchanan.

On 13/09/2021 at 23:07, Bris Vegas said:

I have a friend who is a Reading fan and he told me they went for broke last season. They will surely have repercussions.

They signed Puscas and Joao with the purpose of either them firing them to promotion, or selling them off for profits which hasn’t happened.

Their one saving grace is Olise was sold for decent money. And Ejaria is another who could fetch a good fee.

The main difference between Reading and Derby is they still have assets to sell. We unfortunately don’t have anybody you could realistically sell for £5m+, regardless of how much we rate Sibley, Knight, Bird and Buchanan.

The problem is, when other clubs sniff financial problems, you won't get the money that the player could be worth had they not been in the position to sell.

Likewise Villa will have to pay over the odds now clubs know they have the Grealish money.

Reminds me of Ollie Watkins, we was quoted a higher figure than other clubs as we appeared to be loaded. 

Now would be an horrendous time for both ourselves and Reading to try and sell our assets.