v Brentford (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jono said:

We need a Steve Mac Ipswich moment .. and fast. Come on lads 

Quote me screen shot shot me ??.

great stuff. At this stage analysis doesn’t count for much. Got a precious point against an in form side. More of the same please. 

Absolutely the best thing about this is that we responded - in the right way -  to adversity and were rewarded. Big lesson

jeees can’t believe how my mood has shifted in a few short minutes. 

11 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Simply not true. The only extra player he had at his disposal tonight was Lawrence. Are you unaware that Sibley's been languishing on the bench since the Birmingham game?

So you admit that there was an extra player which means I was right!

Seriously though, the bench was much stronger than we’ve had for a long time. There was always the feeling that someone on the bench could contribute positively if needed and it turns out we did need them.

Lawrence will be a big player for us in the run in. He takes pressure of Jozwiak who needs to adjust to the league still and Roberts and Sibley can create from very little too. They’re the players we need right now.

This season is a learning curve for so many at the club. People have done some good and not so good things which have affected our club. This game in a nutshell highlights that you will get more out of a game if you plan to win the game. We have been forced into this situation because of the first half display. We obviously went into it  like the previous five games not to lose but offered zero in the long run. Having to change tactics and play players who want to go forward and score goals really makes a difference where other players try and get in on the act. 

Surely this is the turning point and end to the negative football under this regime. 

Kazim could be out but could force Rooney's hand to go more positive. 

Let's hope so. 

Happy St Patrick's Day to all. 

19 minutes ago, Silko said:

Does that seem weird to anyone else ... who’s been doing stuff in the rest of his matches and does that mean he played the team he wanted to play second half .... I’m not going to ask the obvious question but I’m sure you all know the question 

What question...? Serious question. 

Just now, Donegal Ram said:

This season is a learning curve for so many at the club. People have done some good and not so good things which have affected our club. This game in a nutshell highlights that you will get more out of a game if you plan to win the game. We have been forced into this situation because of the first half display. We obviously went into it  like the previous five games not to lose but offered zero in the long run. Having to change tactics and play players who want to go forward and score goals really makes a difference where other players try and get in on the act. 

Surely this is the turning point and end to the negative football under this regime. 

Kazim could be out but could force Rooney's hand to go more positive. 

Let's hope so. 

Happy St Patrick's Day to all. 

Slainte @Donegal Ram

5 minutes ago, roboto said:

So you admit that there was an extra player which means I was right!

Seriously though, the bench was much stronger than we’ve had for a long time. There was always the feeling that someone on the bench could contribute positively if needed and it turns out we did need them.

Lawrence will be a big player for us in the run in. He takes pressure of Jozwiak who needs to adjust to the league still and Roberts and Sibley can create from very little too. They’re the players we need right now.

Well, you are more likely to get a goal from Sibley, Roberts, Lawrence,  Waghorn and Gregory than from Bird, Shinnie, Knight, Watson, Jozwiak and Kazim ?

I’m not having this baalocks about Rooney’s treatment of Sibley. Louis can play wide in a  3 as he did against Birmingham. Playing as a 10 is his best position but when in the team either under Rooney or Cocu he hasn’t done it. He’s played him where he wants to play said prove a point and he’s done it. Also baalocks those that say he doesn’t like talented attacking players. He picked Watson tonight which was a brave move, deserved on his recent cameos but unfortunately it didn’t work.

First half we started well until Wisdom and Buchanan combined criminally to give away the first goal. Then we showed them too much respect, we were poor but they were very good. Frank has just said best Brentford have played this season in the first half. But whatever Rooney’s tactics players have to perform and they didn’t.

Second half the aggression and intensity showed from everyone transformed our performance, we got the goal at exactly the right time. Bold changes from Rooney worked - easy to do we had nothing to lose - but Gregory Sibley Mengi  and Roberts stepped up, Shinnie got back to doing what he does best. Buchanan and Byrne were excellent second half especially the latter. Knight all of a sudden found his form too, his best half of football in 2021.

Rooney has received criticism recently, some unfair (the rubbish being spouted about Sibley) but rightfully got pelters for the Cardiff and Coventry debacle. He deserves credit tonight, this is an excellent point against a top team and the second half was the best we’ve played all season. He was brave with the team in the second half. Maybe some players have given him food for thought and he can now play a slightly more attacking line up going forward. 

Without Kazim and Gregory for Saturday now, Waggy needs to step up as Gregory has today. 

There is no ducking way this team is going down!!

COYR!!!!?????

Just looked at the highlights ?

What a delicately  weighted, prices and vision filled ball from Byrne and what simplicity and decision making from Sibbo .. all the play and sight lines going one way .. so he reversed it and opened the goal for himself. Lovely ... this feels like a win rather than a desperate point 

14 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

I thought Brentford were exceptional in the first half, and decent in the second. We were shell shocked in the first after the penalty and were brave in the second and in the end deserved the draw. Coming back from 2-0 was like a win for us, which shows where we are at the moment. 

this might just be the result that drives us forward. I hope CKR is ok 

Sibbo will always drive us forward............and I just can't shake him off!

james bond car GIF

Well done Derby & yes, well done Wayne Rooney (in the end)

Horrible first half obviously. No idea what the thinking was putting Knight at number 10 or Watson out on the left wing when his promising cameos have all been through the middle. We then compounded that by starting very sluggishly, conceding early & showing nothing on the ball in the face of Brentford's relentless chasing - frankly we looked utterly shambolic after 30 mins. They seemed to be cutting through us with every attack and I'm pretty grateful we were only 0-2 down at half time.

Changes had to be made & Rooney absolutely made the right calls. Much though I like him, Bird was struggling horribly against their intense press & Watson was anonymous - on came Gregory to start to disrupt their back line & give us another outlet up there and Sibley, no doubt with a point to prove after Saturday's comments. Tactically this started to make sense as Knight could retreat to the one role in the side he does well & Mengi's introduction allowed Byrne & Buchanan to get up the pitch and start forcing back their wide men.

Much better intensity from the off also & the early goal was key to maintaining that. Thereafter you could see the belief start to return - Gregory arguably could have had another couple particularly the chance from Kazim's fantastic ball over the top & we started to move the ball with purpose. Knight and Shinnie improved markedly and Sibley started finding little pockets of space to take possession & drive at them. That said, I did think they had weathered the storm but up stepped Sibley with a piece of absolute genius to grab the point - great play from Roberts to find him in such close quarters too.

Suspect the team will get a massive morale boost out of tonight - coming back from two down, coming back against such a good opponent, scoring twice & all our relegation rivals losing. Sets us up nicely for coming games. COYR

We haven't had much luck all season, we got it first half to not be completely out the game. 

The hope now is that both players and staff take confidence from the second half in playing on the front foot.

Lawrence back, Sibley scoring. Game changers. 

I feel sorry for Watson though, will probably feel pretty flat about his first start. 

I have been watching the Rams for 50 years but I cannot pick our best team to play regularly. Not enough players are consistent enough to pick a settled side. I would drop Wisdom at his worst and keep him at his best which is true for a few players.

Far be it from me to be a voice of reason but we have a reasonably adequate squad that is lacking quality in some crucial areas and has been all season.
We also have a novice manager who is learning on the job in very testing circumstances. I believe he is showing some promise given the above and if we can get the takeover sorted and secure funding for new players next season would be happy to see him remain in post. 

Archived