v Brentford (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

Overall really happy with a point when I expected nowt.  Personified why I get so frustrated with our team. Dire first half, great second. Good to see Lawrence back.  Holding my hands up, been critical of him in the past but hoping Rooney will get the best out of him - he could be the difference in the run in. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Did I mock anyone..?? And did Lawrence do anything..? Sibley did well that is for sure but Robinho was the difference. 

Allow me to remind you then...

image.thumb.png.43628e0b95bbfe2b52e9fbb4fbe01c10.png

I think folk were saying we needed to set up the side more positively AND play Sibley old chap but never mind. The thing is, there are posters on here who are capable of assessing a player because unlike yourself, they set aside preconceptions and many have actually watched Sibley come though the academy ranks too. What do most of us, but not your good self know about him?

Pros: Drives play forward, can pass and strike a ball off both feet. Most effectively deployed through the middle where lack of outright pace is not a negative factor. Has the potential to be a gamechanger every time he starts. Works hard and has a will to win.

Cons: Like most young players, his performance levels can be inconsistent. Needs games to find confidence and form. Puts in rash tackles which can put us under pressure.

Put simply, literally nobody has said he's a 'world beater' only that he needs to start and that he needs to play through the middle where he can do some damage.

Oh, and who were you slagging off for saying assist stats are important? I'll quote that one for you as well if you like? I think you were wittering on about 'millennials' and 'nobody on earth' caring about such metrics, because assists are irrelevant in football, aren't they? Yet here you are citing the Roberts assist as the defining contribution to the the game ?

39 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Allow me to remind you then...

image.thumb.png.43628e0b95bbfe2b52e9fbb4fbe01c10.png

I think folk were saying we needed to set up the side more positively AND play Sibley old chap but never mind. The thing is, there are posters on here who are capable of assessing a player because unlike yourself, they set aside preconceptions and many have actually watched Sibley come though the academy ranks too. What do most of us, but not your good self know about him?

Pros: Drives play forward, can pass and strike a ball off both feet. Most effectively deployed through the middle where lack of outright pace is not a negative factor. Has the potential to be a gamechanger every time he starts. Works hard and has a will to win.

Cons: Like most young players, his performance levels can be inconsistent. Needs games to find confidence and form. Puts in rash tackles which can put us under pressure.

Put simply, literally nobody has said he's a 'world beater' only that he needs to start and that he needs to play through the middle where he can do some damage.

Oh, and who were you slagging off for saying assist stats are important? I'll quote that one for you as well if you like? I think you were wittering on about 'millennials' and 'nobody on earth' caring about such metrics, because assists are irrelevant in football, aren't they? Yet here you are citing the Roberts assist as the defining contribution to the the game ?

where did I mention Roberts assist anywhere.....?? hmmm, i thought not..

where have i said Sibley should not play anywhere...?? hmmm, i thought not..

its great that we have got such an amazing judge of a footballer in our midst, someone who can see more from a player after watching them for season after season after season...you should be employed by the club.

9 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

where did I mention Roberts assist anywhere.....?? hmmm, i thought not..

where have i said Sibley should not play anywhere...?? hmmm, i thought not..

its great that we have got such an amazing judge of a footballer in our midst, someone who can see more from a player after watching them for season after season after season...you should be employed by the club.

It's not my fault you've made a twit of yourself. Anyway, you're welcome mate. And anytime you struggling with stuff you don't know about (not a small catchment area, I concede) feel free to ask ?

10 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

It's not my fault you've made a twit of yourself. Anyway, you're welcome mate. And anytime you struggling with stuff you don't know about (not a small catchment area, I concede) feel free to ask ?

Shake hands and agree to differ gentlemen!

(You both know more about our beautiful game than me anyway!)*

*I just enjoy it, or not, as the case may be!

Quite funny revisiting this thread from about page 28.

I must admit, I was actually shocked at how badly organised we were in that first half. I advocated a return to the regular back four but they looked like they had never played together.

Buchanan is a shadow of the player we saw, Wisdom is great for eighty minutes, awful for ten, Clarke is a robot and both Byrne and Buchanan get beaten on their inside far too often.

However, when you actually try to play attacking football, you take pressure off the defence and suddenly the confidence comes back.

So pleased to see Roberts and Sibley combine. How many times has Roberts done that before and had no one to pass to?

Also, Gregory offers us so much more attacking threat than CKR, who needs a rest.

40 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Quite funny revisiting this thread from about page 28.

I must admit, I was actually shocked at how badly organised we were in that first half. I advocated a return to the regular back four but they looked like they had never played together.

Buchanan is a shadow of the player we saw, Wisdom is great for eighty minutes, awful for ten, Clarke is a robot and both Byrne and Buchanan get beaten on their inside far too often.

However, when you actually try to play attacking football, you take pressure off the defence and suddenly the confidence comes back.

So pleased to see Roberts and Sibley combine. How many times has Roberts done that before and had no one to pass to?

Also, Gregory offers us so much more attacking threat than CKR, who needs a rest.

Yep and herein lies the pinch. I've until recently favoured a back 4 but while I actually believe that we now have the personnel to play that way (Mengi and Edmundson both look able to me), Wisdom is not the ticket. For clarity, I really rate the guy and was one of the most effusive when he re-signed but he is not focussed enough these days to be played at the heart of a back four. Defensively, I think he's at least Byrne's equal as a right back but if we are going to favour a back 3 with wing backs, Byrne is the first name on the team sheet.

I've been quite critical of Rooney recently but one thing I do find quite admirable is the way he adapts or tries different things when plans are not working. It could be argued that it's taken him a while to switch back to a more positive formation, but looking forwards not back, if he maintains that philosophy, then I think we'll begin to climb the table once more and he'll have a happier and more motivated team under him. I don't doubt that he got his hairdryer out at halftime yesterday, which, given the lack of fight displayed, would be entirely justified, but moreover, I think our lads probably want to be managed to win games and not to avoid losing them and perhaps it was that message that to which they responded? If there's any truth in this, then perhaps the future is less grim than forecast as our second half performance was as good as anything I've seen for some time and there was no luck involved at all. We earned that point and were ultimately good value for it.

I said after the away game at Brentford that I like their approach to the game.

Again they looked as if they would rather be on a football pitch than anywhere else on earth.

Their smiles and obviously sporting banter with a revitalised Rams team at the end of a 'game of two halves' makes me hope that they are playing in the Prem next season and showing some of the luvvies how the game should be played!

12 hours ago, roboto said:

That second half is how I want to see us play the rest of the season.

Effective forward movement and making our opponents scared when we attack.

3-5-2 or 3-4-2-1 if Kaz is injured for a while fits the better players in The squad.

I think Watson was unlucky not to have the opportunity to play in the shuffled formation but he will get his chances.

We have choices for a back 3 with Mengi impressing lately and Edmundson probably the better form option over Wisdom at the moment. Also, we have some great wing back options on both sides.

Our winger/wide attackers are probably more suited to playing a bit narrower and using their trickery anyway. Roberts, Lawrence, Jozwiak and Sibley can all link midfield to attack if they play more centrally.

Shinnie is a beast at the moment. Obviously we miss Bielik, but Shinnies heart is nearly as big as his balls.

Knight ran his socks off again and is a good partner to Shinnie. I’d like to see Bird find form again but it just isn’t happening for him at the moment.

Roos is doing well with his chance and continues unless his form drops drastically.

Hopefully we take this momentum forwards.

Shinnies heart is nearly as big as his balls , quote of the season mate , superb

Dont know what he said at half time but good management from Wayne , to admit his mistakes , shuffle the team and put fire in their bellies absolutely phenomenal, that was a game we could of sank without trace well done Wayne and well done boys , now beat the knuckledraggers on Saturday

8 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Dont know what he said at half time but good management from Wayne , to admit his mistakes , shuffle the team and put fire in their bellies absolutely phenomenal, that was a game we could of sank without trace well done Wayne and well done boys , now beat the knuckledraggers on Saturday

Agreed. The tactical masterclass stuff is plain silly, but they came out revitalised and ready to go. If we could start games the way we finished last night, I'd be a very happy boy. Too early to slinging out the baby, but let's hope Wazza has learned from last night's game of two halves.

From what I have seen our forward play suffers because of the limited ability Shinnie has in that area. Shinnie is a brilliant work horse and breaks the play up. However, when given the ball by our centre halves he can’t pick that relevant pass as he doesn’t have that skill.

It's to be expected this early into his managerial career that Rooney sometimes sets his team up wrong to begin with, or has a few issues finding his best team or tactics. However, the ability to make the right calls and adjustments during the game or at half time is a skill that many managers wish they had.

Hindsight is great and is something anyone can learn from, but being proactive and getting the message out to the team will earn you more points over a season.

Last night he changed things up and Thomas Frank couldn't figure out a way to stop it. Brentford were wasting time from the moment Gregory scored, that was their best response to Rooney's changes. Even when Kazim went off injured and we were forced to adjust again we found a rhythm that they couldn't match and pushed for the equaliser.

In time he will get a team in his vision, playing how he's like to play, but for now he is working with what he has and doing a much better job than his successor currently.

13 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

From what I have seen our forward play suffers because of the limited ability Shinnie has in that area. Shinnie is a brilliant work horse and breaks the play up. However, when given the ball by our centre halves he can’t pick that relevant pass as he doesn’t have that skill.

I don't think it's down to Shinnie. We've been best when we've broken the lines with longer passes forward, but we tend to look for a safe pass first instead of trying to get it forward quicker.

Usually we end up looking for Kazim who can hold the ball up well and control difficult passes. When we had Lawrence, Sibley and Roberts on yesterday there were more options to find going forwards. Shinnie was the one putting the ball into the area that Roberts got on the end of eventually, so hardly a hindrance to our overall attacking play.

If anything, he allows the defence to commit themselves to an attack when needed and is great cover.

The lack of attack in recent games is more likely down to a formation imbalance, but we seemed to have found something that works in that second half.

well what a game of two halve, first half Brentford was in cruise control waiting to grab a hatfull of goal. the passed quick accurate and made us look amateurish i was pi55ed of having paid to such an embarrassing display

second half with the introduction of Sibley / Gregory changed the game. we may have gone on and won it. i was glad i didnt turn off the game and £10 was justified

more of the second have lads please 

A special mention for Mr Tom Lawrence. He’s been castigated, chastised and other words beginning with c on here. For most of us a frustrating player because he has a great deal of talent. In view of what’s gone on in his personal life I want to wish him a long spell of fitness and to see his undoubted ability because a Tom Lawrence playing well will improve this team no end. 
His first appearance last night, my first thoughts were please don’t break down. We all hope Bielik will return and stay fit, it’s a huge concern he’s out long term again, but if Tom maintains fitness then I for one look forward to seeing his undoubted ability unlocked by the management team. 
When he came on his touches looked smart and assured to me, I was very pleased with what I saw, not just because of how we performed second half. I wish Tom well and hope we see a lot more of a very talented footballer. 

17 hours ago, rad1919 said:

I'm not sure what you think I haven't thought through. Jozwiak's season stats are horrific, Roberts provided an assist within 3 minutes of being on the pitch.

I'm not sure "swapping bodies" is a valid argument?!

Season stats ? What’s that ? Assists and goals ? Like the whole team has scored and set up loads and Joz hasn’t ?

Joz is a hard working live wire in a team that has been playing badly. Then consider  he is missing a guy that he naturally links with and we are lacking in players up top who, in better circumstances he would be playing off,  and you think you’ve thought it through ? 

Roberts is good .. a bit one footed for me but I like him and would be happy with either or both in the team. They are both good wide attacking players. Singling Joz after one poor half for the whole team - as you did - strikes me as lacking a bit in the logic and observation stats. 

Archived