v Brentford (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

28 minutes ago, jono said:

Season stats ? What’s that ? Assists and goals ? Like the whole team has scored and set up loads and Joz hasn’t ?

Joz is a hard working live wire in a team that has been playing badly. Then consider  he is missing a guy that he naturally links with and we are lacking in players up top who, in better circumstances he would be playing off,  and you think you’ve thought it through ? 

Roberts is good .. a bit one footed for me but I like him and would be happy with either or both in the team. They are both good wide attacking players. Singling Joz after one poor half for the whole team - as you did - strikes me as lacking a bit in the logic and observation stats. 

I think the effect of his good friends’ injury and loss to the team has been under estimated too. I believe they are close friends (needs verification!) and it may have affected his game. I think he’s a very talented player and we’ve seen glimpses of his skills, so much more to come. Just have a few words about staying on his feet, I think refs are aware of his Chris Martin skills now.... or for those of my generation, his Francis Lee skills 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Edtheram said:

He needs a loan like the other promising youngsters - a sub appearance and starting the game are different 

Loans are far from being an easy option for a young player.....just ask some of ours that are out on loan at the moment. Most likely to be the most technically gifted in the squad at the clubs they’re at but game time doesn’t come easy when you’re in the middle of a relegation scrap or a promotion push and a manager will ALWAYS favour his regular 28 year old who he has to look after on a 2 year contract as opposed to the 19/20 year old he has for 3 months. Not to mention the brutal zero passing environment of a league 2 club for example.....going on loan is every bit as about learning survival skills and day in day out training with adults in less than perfect training grounds as it is about starting every week.....very few do that. 

Nya Kirby (Palace) loan at Tranmere L2

Jack Roles (Tottenham) loan at Stevenage L2

Kaziah Sterling (Tottenham) loan at Southend 

JHI (Derby) loan at Stevenage

Isaac Hutchinson (Derby) loan at Forest Green

All from Cat 1 clubs and struggling to get regular starts in League 2. It’s not their talent making it hard...

Louie Watson would be bullied to death in that league!

6 hours ago, Brammie Steve said:

I said after the away game at Brentford that I like their approach to the game.

Again they looked as if they would rather be on a football pitch than anywhere else on earth.

Their smiles and obviously sporting banter with a revitalised Rams team at the end of a 'game of two halves' makes me hope that they are playing in the Prem next season and showing some of the luvvies how the game should be played!

Apologies to who mentioned this previously but having just read Thomas Frank comments, I must say the man is a class act. Not just for what he said about us, but any game I’ve seen them and listened to their manager , I’ve thought, more like him in football please. Good luck I hope they make it this year

2 hours ago, SKRam said:

Apologies to who mentioned this previously but having just read Thomas Frank comments, I must say the man is a class act. Not just for what he said about us, but any game I’ve seen them and listened to their manager , I’ve thought, more like him in football please. Good luck I hope they make it this year

Two really good managers @ PP last night!

21 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Always read your posts carefully, and learn from them. But this draw doesn’t ‘paper over the cracks’. The second half shows we can hold our own against anyone, we just need selection and formation to be better. First half was an aberration sorry abomination 

That's fair and I appreciate your kind words. 

I'll qualify what I meant. I actually completely agree that the second half does show that with the right tactics, management and intent we can compete with any team in the league. We've seen other examples throughout the season and I, personally, don't feel like others that we have a terrible squad doomed to go down. 

What I am specifically referring to is that even with that second half, that first half in the context of our recent-ish games is extremely concerning. It's not the first time we've looked amateurish tactically and it's a culmination of recent games and results and is a continuation of a pattern that certain lessons and observations just aren't being picked up and corrected by the management team. We were lucky to being going in only 2-0 and we still needed a bit of magic to get us anything from the game. 

I worry because I feel like the second half performance will be used as an excuse to not deal with fundamental problems in how we are going about our business and we will take the wrong lessons away from why the game was turned around. 

In short whilst I hope that we see more like the second half going forward I've got a nagging feeling we will see more of something resembling like the first half.

"To Play Or Not To Play? That Is The Question" said William Shakespeare on Facebook. WE saw both last night, and the turn around was colossal. How do you remove scorchmarks from the wallpaper on the chimney-breast opposite where I was watching the match from? When Sibley scored I yelled so loud I must have done some damage! The first half showed us all that is wrong with how Derby county play their football, and the second half showed everything that can be right with how we play our football.

So we started to break out of defence with Knight, who has Joswiack surging into miles of open space, so Knight stops, and looks for the sideways/backwards pass. Moments later Wizzy is Wizzy and Brentford have run off with our ball, its a penalty, its us nowt Brentford on their way. And when you attack the opposition with pace and aggression and put your players where they play best, it works. Who'd have thought that would happen. And as many have said on here where on earth did the transformation come from?  Was it Wayne putting the finishing touches to his psychology masterclass? Was it ~Stevie Mac doing a Ipswich Town reprisal? Or just as I and soooo many others have said, playing how we should play? Dunno, but it were good, weren't it?

Again, as many have said, I don't think it was Rooney's handling of Sibley which did the trick. It was simply giving the young lad a decent amount of time in his best position. And yes, somehow the whole team seemed to have got the idea of pass and move, attack, be quick and be accurate. it also helped everybody to have other players of attacking intent available when we were going forwards, instead of a few defensive minded players arriving in the area eventually.

I was glad that Watson got his chance, he more than deserved it, but he didn't pull up any trees. He was always wanting the ball, even badmouthing Buchanan at one point for not throwing the ball into him when he was unmarked - which he was because he kept moving and making himself available. Watson excites not only because he is good with the ball at his feet, but he is always wanting the ball as well. The downside is that we played him out wide. Groan. Not again. Why do we always do it? We have history, playing people out of position - Hughes, Kinkladze, Lee Holmes, although not quite in the same class as Kinky, he was a tremendous prospect totally wasted by playing him out of position, or left on the bench. And Sibbers. And now we are doing it with another of our brightest prospects. 

Some have commented how good the ref was. He was better than Saturday's offering, but that could still be classed as an insult because of of just how bad Darren England is!  He completely missed the all in wrestling in the penalty area whenever we got a corner, apart from one glorious occasion. A defender had his arms all around Colin Kazim Richards trying to stop his run. Colin simply kept on running and the defender over balance and fell to the ground - free kick to Brentford! It set the trend, hence my comment earlier in the thread about the amount of times Colin was fouled and Brentford got the free-kick! Making a back for him wasn't a foul when it was on Colin, yet moments later the same player did it to Buchanan and it was a free kick!  Ho hum! 

The bottom line is that if we had started the match the way we ended it we most likely would have won the match 4 - 0! AS soon as we got in their faces, Brentford didn't like it and went all tetchy, and let's face it, we mullered them in that second half!

The big problem is who plays up front if Colin isn't fit? Just as we seem to have put Waghorn out of our misery, there is a spooky, creaking noise and the door is opening again. Any suggestions?

Archived