The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

8 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

It has to be said that every Covid case in people I know, and every one of our multiple isolation periods have come from infections in school. Yes the kids have a very low chance of getting seriously ill, but it's an absolute fact that their role as carriers has been instrumental in the speed of the virus spreading within the community

Yes but the trouble for me is that the evidence has been conflicting (at least last time I saw any) whether vaccinations prevented or significantly reduced transmission. If not, then it's a bit pointless.

Maybe why it's taking so long for JCVI to reach a decision on it?

8 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Yes but the trouble for me is that the evidence has been conflicting (at least last time I saw any) whether vaccinations prevented or significantly reduced transmission. If not, then it's a bit pointless.

Maybe why it's taking so long for JCVI to reach a decision on it?

Good point.

At least in very simple terms, it has to at least slightly reduce transmission if it lessens symptoms - as the cough reflex is the main way that the virus gets itself airborne. Less coughing = less transmission (but not zero transmission)

But you're right - taken as a whole, it's a tricky balancing act with no easy answers - hence I defer to each individual parent to make their own mind up, and respect their choice

4 hours ago, Wolfie said:

.....which is making me wonder if it's the right thing to do, to vaccinate kids every year for flu for the same reason.

I honestly don’t know the stats for risk to children from flu vaccine or from flu itself so wouldn’t like to hazard a guess, it’s not something that’s been in your face in the same way covid has, though I was surprised when wife told a while back that they gave children flu vaccine in spray form ??‍♂️.

reading bits over the last few days where they are saying it may be better to only give children one covid jab not two to lesson the risk of blood clots , now people may think I’m silly but with the drop in effectiveness of one jab versus two from a vaccine that we know doesn’t stop people catching and spreading covid coupled with the minimal risk covid poses to children , the value in giving it to children is ever diminished , why are we so desperate to vaccinate children ? It makes very little sense to me and it’s easy to see how conspiracy theories are born and spread , as someone posted earlier it just seems the world has gone insane ,could you imagine if we ever have a real high percentage killer pandemic ??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

It has to be said that every Covid case in people I know, and every one of our multiple isolation periods have come from infections in school. Yes the kids have a very low chance of getting seriously ill, but it's an absolute fact that their role as carriers has been instrumental in the speed of the virus spreading within the community

But the government and they’re scientists have been telling us from the start children don’t catch and spread ,was that made up to suit or is now they do made up to suit ? 

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Er ok.

Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 11.13.49.png

That’s quite interesting because both Fred’s are pretty sceptical of covid and the media did one of those stories they keep doing ( being posted on here too) about covid / vax sceptic being hospitalised or dying from covid ,then it is posted by them ( which Fred?) that the facts were he was hospitalised for something else ( concussion?) and just tested positive for covid while in hospital ??‍♂️

47 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

That's brilliant. Can we presume Fred's grasp of virology is as good as his grasp of maths? 

As good as Archied's?

"Pop Group Right Said Fred say a now-deleted tweet criticised for confusing statistics from a new study into the effects of the COVID-19 vaccines on ‘long COVID’ was 'taking the piss'

The study from King’s College London shows adults who are fully vaccinated are 47% less likely to have long COVID should they contract COVID-19. This suggests those vaccinated are more likely to experience less severe symptoms, or even be asymptomatic, when infected than people who are unvaccinated."

Edited by RoyMac5

28 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

As good as Archied's?

"Pop Group Right Said Fred say a now-deleted tweet criticised for confusing statistics from a new study into the effects of the COVID-19 vaccines on ‘long COVID’ was 'taking the piss'

The study from King’s College London shows adults who are fully vaccinated are 47% less likely to have long COVID should they contract COVID-19. This suggests those vaccinated are more likely to experience less severe symptoms, or even be asymptomatic, when infected than people who are unvaccinated."

This would be the same Right Said Fred requesting anyone wearing a mask stay away from them as they were defunct and didn't exist as far as they were concerned .  Cue lots of people pointing out if they require any medical treatment they should probably invest in some leaches.  Deeply Dipshit

36 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

As good as Archied's?

We don’t all have your mythical science / virology? Background ?

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

This would be the same Right Said Fred requesting anyone wearing a mask stay away from them as they were defunct and didn't exist as far as they were concerned .  Cue lots of people pointing out if they require any medical treatment they should probably invest in some leaches.  Deeply Dipshit

Not really took much interest in they’re views on covid as I’m not sure they have anything more to offer than the rest of us non scientists other than watching the back and forth policies and often strange stats ,, my point was the untrue story about covid sceptic being struck down and at deaths door only to turn out lies ,,, what’s your thoughts on that ? Personally it’s the kind of stuff that I find counterproductive and there’s a bit too much of around the  vaccine drive , just stick to the truth that the vaccine seems to be bringing deaths and hospitalisation s down seems a better approach ??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

54 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don't worry about that mate, you could always try fact- checking. ?

Those stats though don’t represent factual statements as much as highlight patterns and Coincidences that cannot be proven for definite either way. 

To use a crude comparison, there are statistics that used to “prove” ethnic minorities were less intelligent than privileged white people. Turns out that the stats were coincidental. As all the ethnic minorities hadn’t been educated, but the white folk were Oxbridge educated! 

Now the stats about the Vaccination are after the fact statistics. There’s no proof that person A would’ve died had they not been vaccinated and no proof that person B wouldn’t have died had they been vaccinated! Ergo the data is not a factual representation of how it’s being presented. 

9 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Er ok.

Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 11.13.49.png

I've had a few altercations with Fred Fairbrass in the past, and have come to the conclusion that he's a bit of a dork, but he has quite the sense of humour. It'd very difficult to know when he's being serious.

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I've had a few altercations with Fred Fairbrass in the past, and have come to the conclusion that he's a bit of a dork, but he has quite the sense of humour. It'd very difficult to know when he's being serious.

Yeah I was wondering if he was on a wind up with this. 

51 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Common sense decision ? 

Now I just need to cross my fingers that vaccine passports don't become a thing and thats my 2 mains concerns dealt with.

I'll be happier once I see the line "the UK government have opted to follow the advice of the JCVI"

You wouldn't put anything past this bunch. Wait till Bojo gets an angry phone call from the CEO of Pfizer

12 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I'll be happier once I see the line "the UK government have opted to follow the advice of the JCVI"

You wouldn't put anything past this bunch. Wait till Bojo gets an angry phone call from the CEO of Pfizer

Will make for a fascinating test case this winter. With the rest of Europe vaccinating their secondary school pupils.

15 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Well yeah there is that...

No doubt cases will rise again next week when the kids are back at school, if for no other reason than they are testing more now they are no longer on holiday.  Hopefully kids will continue to shrug off covid, most of the teachers etc have been double jabbed and the increase in cases won't result in a rise in deaths - although I see Mystic Meg, sorry Neil Ferguson, is already telling us its to early to rule out a winter lockdown again ?