The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Are you lot still at it? It’s done, it’s over  life’s back to normal. Go to the pub, go to the match, go on holiday, go to a gig, do what you want. Wear a mask, don’t wear a mask, get a jab done get a jab. It doesn’t matter, go do what you want and have some fun ? 

23 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Are you lot still at it? It’s done, it’s over  life’s back to normal. Go to the pub, go to the match, go on holiday, go to a gig, do what you want. Wear a mask, don’t wear a mask, get a jab done get a jab. It doesn’t matter, go do what you want and have some fun ? 

We have to argue about something, they closed the politics thread!

old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

On 26/08/2021 at 22:47, G STAR RAM said:

Thanks, all is good, I have 2 kids that help keep me young and healthy...well kind of!

The winter was a very dark time but hopefully thats all in the past now.

Winter come around every year. I can’t believe how much non-factual data is posted on this thread.

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That opinion holds absilutely no more than anyone else's on this forum, not sure why the BBC would even publish it.

That's not true if course. All media celebs are influencers of behaviour. 

You're right though that it shouldn't be newsworthy... The thing that makes it newsworthy is the anti Vax statements by certain tennis other players recently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/aug/23/anti-vaxx-athletes-stance-show-myths-cut-across-boundaries-privilege-covid

4 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

They should all stfu imo.  They are quite often less educated on such matters than a lot of people.  I assume by recommending that everyone should have the jab he is willing to give a guarantee that its 100% safe both now and in the future?

If you cba to do your own research, or are confused by what you see/read, you should speak to your Doctor.  Anyone else's opinion is just background noise.

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

You're right though that it shouldn't be newsworthy... The thing that makes it newsworthy is the anti Vax statements by certain tennis other players recently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/aug/23/anti-vaxx-athletes-stance-show-myths-cut-across-boundaries-privilege-covid

And the BBC should be impartial on this and not trying to influence behaviour.

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

That opinion holds absilutely no more than anyone else's on this forum, not sure why the BBC would even publish it.

Because it’s an opinion from a leading sportsman which will entice readers.

The opinion itself isn’t worth any more than anyone else on the forum.

But for me, it’s another example of a highly popular and influential figure who is pro vaccine. I made the point earlier, too many popular, high profile people have had the vaccine, including the POTS, for there not to be overwhelming scientific evidence that it’s good for us.

6 hours ago, maxjam said:

They should all stfu imo.  They are quite often less educated on such matters than a lot of people.  I assume by recommending that everyone should have the jab he is willing to give a guarantee that its 100% safe both now and in the future?

If you cba to do your own research, or are confused by what you see/read, you should speak to your Doctor.  Anyone else's opinion is just background noise.

What I don’t understand about the whole ideal is the choice of belief.

I have cousins who are so anti-vax. They tell me to do my own research.

They aren’t scientists, so I ask them how do they know what they are reading is true.

They pull up statements from doctors with medical expertise saying the vaccine is bad. But there are on the flip side thousands of equally trained doctors saying the vaccine is good.

So my question to them and any other anti-vaxxer out there. Why are you choosing to believe one story over the other? Why are you choosing to believe the 0.1% of doctors who are sayong the vaccine is bad and not the 99.9% of equally qualified doctors who say the vaccine is good? Why are you choosing the vastly minority opinion on something you have absolutely no knowledge in whatsoever?

I’m not even saying they are right or wrong. But we as people believe what we are told.

We are told andromeda is the closest galaxy to the milky way. Most of us are not astronomers. We (non astronomers) don’t actually know this and we don’t have the means or understanding to know this. We simply believe it’s true because that is what the majority of leading astronomers have told us.

But when leading scientists tell us the vaccine is good, why aren’t people believing them? What is it that’s triggered people into disputing the claim and believing the opposite?

Edited by Bris Vegas

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

So my question to them and any other anti-vaxxer out there. Why are you choosing to believe one story over the other? Why are you choosing to believe the 1% of doctors who are the vaccine is bad and not the 99% of equally qualified doctors who say the vaccine is good? Why are you choosing the vastly minority opinion on something you have absolutely no knowledge in whatsoever?

Staffordshire Covid sceptic Marcus Birks dies in hospital - BBC News

"The musician had told the BBC he was "shocked" to have become so unwell with the virus because he "rarely got ill"...

Speaking to the BBC earlier in August, Mr Birks said: "If you haven't been ill, you don't think you're going to get ill, so you listen to the [anti-vaccine] stuff.

"When you feel like you can't get enough breath, it's the scariest feeling in the world."

He said information had been skewed by social media and conspiracy theorists and he had not had the vaccine.

The 40-year-old said his symptoms started with a flu-like feeling, which got progressively worse, and he was eventually admitted to hospital, suffering from breathing difficulties.

"First thing I am going tell all my family to do is get the vaccine and anybody I see," he said."

Edited by RoyMac5

54 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

What I don’t understand about the whole ideal is the choice of belief.

I have cousins who are so anti-vax. They tell me to do my own research.

They aren’t scientists, so I ask them how do they know what they are reading is true.

They pull up statements from doctors with medical expertise saying the vaccine is bad. But there are on the flip side thousands of equally trained doctors saying the vaccine is good.

So my question to them and any other anti-vaxxer out there. Why are you choosing to believe one story over the other? Why are you choosing to believe the 0.1% of doctors who are sayong the vaccine is bad and not the 99.9% of equally qualified doctors who say the vaccine is good? Why are you choosing the vastly minority opinion on something you have absolutely no knowledge in whatsoever?

I’m not even saying they are right or wrong. But we as people believe what we are told.

We are told andromeda is the closest galaxy to the milky way. Most of us are not astronomers. We (non astronomers) don’t actually know this and we don’t have the means or understanding to know this. We simply believe it’s true because that is what the majority of leading astronomers have told us.

But when leading scientists tell us the vaccine is good, why aren’t people believing them? What is it that’s triggered people into disputing the claim and believing the opposite?

I guess its the choice as to whether you inject yourself with something or not.  The majority of the arguments I have seen, and tbh go along with - especially now we have approaching 2 years of data, is that covid by and large attacks the elderly and vulnerable. 

If you are over 50 taking the vaccine is probably a no brainer.  If you are under 50 (certainly a lot younger than 50) and in good health then any potential long term risks that may arise from taking the vaccine start to weigh on your mind.

I personally don't have a problem whether people want to take the vaccine or refuse it.  I would hope that people have made an informed choice* but ultimately if you are over 18 then you are responsible for yourself.

The only problems I have with the vaccine rollout is the Govt attempting to enforce the vaccine on everyone (via passports etc), the media running divisive them and us articles re. vaxxed and unvaxxed and celebritries such as Jennifer Aniston 'cutting off' unvaxxed friends - what you do to your own body *has* to be a personal decision, nobody else has the right to tell you what to do.

I also strongly disagree with vaccinating the under 18s, especially given the mounting evidence that they face no real risk from either covid nor long covid, natural immunity is better and vaccinated people can spread covid at similar rates to the unvaccinated.  In 10 years time when we start getting real world data that these new vaccines present no long term concerns for people then I will change my mind but until we can be 100% certain there is no way on earth I would vaccinate children.

*as for why some people ignore some scientists and listen to others, we live in an age of increasing social media division and censorship and it is getting increasingly difficult to know who to trust and what their agenda is.  For example, whilst Trump was still President the Democrats were dead against the vaccine, because... politics.  After Biden got elected, he tried to take credit for it.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Because it’s an opinion from a leading sportsman which will entice readers.

The opinion itself isn’t worth any more than anyone else on the forum.

But for me, it’s another example of a highly popular and influential figure who is pro vaccine. I made the point earlier, too many popular, high profile people have had the vaccine, including the POTS, for there not to be overwhelming scientific evidence that it’s good for us.

We all know there is evidence of it being good in the short term.

There are lots of high profile people that use cocaine, I don't take that as meaning that it must be good for us.