The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

18 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

As I understand it, the JCVI scope was only to look at the relative benefits of vaccinating children to the children themselves. They concluded marginal positive benefit but not enough. 

Now they’re taking into account the wider benefit to the whole population that comes about from vaccinating kids, so I expect the balance will tip in favour of vaccinations. 

The day we are putting the younger generation at risk to save the older generation, I'm afraid we have lost the whole point of life.

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-pandemics-public-health-coronavirus-pandemic-f6e976f34a6971c889ca8a4c5e1c0068

https://khn.org/news/nation-records-400000-covid-deaths-on-last-day-of-donald-trump-presidency/

The reports I can find seem to suggest it was 400,000 deaths under Trump (over 11 or 12 months) which would mean 250,000 deaths under Biden (over 7 months).

Is Biden facing as much critcism as Trump did?

The US passed 500k about 3 weeks after Biden cam to power.

Biden has gone on TV again and again asking people to get vaccinated, Trump never did.

Biden as vaccinated on TV, Trump never even acknowledged he'd had it.

Biden always wore a mask in public and mandated them in Public buildings, Trump did neither.

So no, he isn't facing as much criticism for that because he inherited a problem that Trump helped exacerbate. 

Sometimes I read things like you posted and wonder if I'm in a parallel universe.

30 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The day we are putting the younger generation at risk to save the older generation, I'm afraid we have lost the whole point of life.

Who says it's putting the younger generation at risk? I think the 'lost the whole point of life' is fantastic hyperbole. ?

18 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Anyone had a lateral flow test with a very faint line? My other son just had 2 of those, so been for a PCR. I'm hoping in vain a very faint line that took 5 or 10 minutes to appear means it might be negative.

My other son's lateral flow had both dark lines appear almost straight away and his PCR was positive.

We both tested positive so 3 of us have it now, with just one son who felt slightly off for about 24 hours. Wife gonna do PCR test now too.

None of us would have known if kids hadn't been tested before going back to school.

8 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

The US passed 500k about 3 weeks after Biden cam to power.

Biden has gone on TV again and again asking people to get vaccinated, Trump never did.

Biden as vaccinated on TV, Trump never even acknowledged he'd had it.

Biden always wore a mask in public and mandated them in Public buildings, Trump did neither.

So no, he isn't facing as much criticism for that because he inherited a problem that Trump helped exacerbate. 

Sometimes I read things like you posted and wonder if I'm in a parallel universe.

So if Biden has done all of these great things I imagine the USA must be heading towards Covid zero, so imagine my surprise when I checked and found there are nearly 9 million active cases!

Its almost as if there is no correlation between who is in charge the Covid rates.

You're right about the parallel universe though, its one where figures are used to slate one person and then overlooked for others...

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who says it's putting the younger generation at risk? I think the 'lost the whole point of life' is fantastic hyperbole. ?

Well the JCVI concluded that the risks outweigh the benefits of vaccinating children.

Maybe we just have a different outlook on life. I would take absolutely no risk with my children's lives to potentially prolong mine, guess its just the way I was brought up but my kids lives always come first.

5 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I have posted the following before, but no matter what you think of Trump/Biden or America as whole they are a deeply flawed politically and things are only getting worse. 

Trump may have presided over the first 400k deaths but how many of those did these comments cause?

Brilliant!

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well the JCVI concluded that the risks outweigh the benefits of vaccinating children.

Maybe we just have a different outlook on life. I would take absolutely no risk with my children's lives to potentially prolong mine, guess its just the way I was brought up but my kids lives always come first.

Your kids don't come before my life! ?

BBC: "The JCVI said children were at such a low risk from the virus that jabs would offer only a marginal benefit." - different to what you said. That's still benefit!

Maybe the JCVI are wrong? Maybe another scientific body think differently. Maybe with more data - happening all the time, things will look different.

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

I have posted the following before, but no matter what you think of Trump/Biden or America as whole they are a deeply flawed politically and things are only getting worse. 

Trump may have presided over the first 400k deaths but how many of those did these comments cause?

So heavily edited and taken out of context it's utterly meaningless. Propaganda. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Your kids don't come before my life! ?

BBC: "The JCVI said children were at such a low risk from the virus that jabs would offer only a marginal benefit." - different to what you said. That's still benefit!

Maybe the JCVI are wrong? Maybe another scientific body think differently. Maybe with more data - happening all the time, things will look different.

Yes, very true on the first point, I stand corrected and did mis-represent what was said.

Also very true on the second point that things may look different in time, so I assume you don't advocate vaccinating children and hoping for the best until more reliable data is available?

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

So if Biden has done all of these great things I imagine the USA must be heading towards Covid zero, so imagine my surprise when I checked and found there are nearly 9 million active cases!

The damage was already done by Trump.

The majority of people unvaccinated for non-medical reasons or age, are in the South and areas that heavily support Trump. States like Louisiana, Alabama, Missouri, Florida, Arkansas, Mississippi etc which are massively red states.

Or they are red areas of blue States like California.

And a lot of the infected people are vaccinated and not at risk of dying unlike before. Almost 99% of people in hospital have not been vaccinated and many are not vaccinated because of Trump and their trust in him.

@maxjam The clip you posted was largely about the Dems not trusting Trump to do the testing properly in an attempt to rush the vaccine through before election day and look like a hero.

This was perfectly justified as there were complaints by the drug companies that he was trying to influence the process by leaning on senior execs both publicly and privately.

The Dems swung behind the vaccine once it was started to be rolled out under Trump.

Plus, it's largely Republicans who aren't getting vaccinated and they're not influenced by Biden or Harris and certainly not Cuomo. But they are heavily influenced (still) by Trump to the point they think Fauci s a liar and many still think the entire thing is a conspiracy.

Even now Trump has not advised people to get vaccinated.

Apart from his family, of course.

28 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

The damage was already done by Trump.

The majority of people unvaccinated for non-medical reasons or age, are in the South and areas that heavily support Trump. States like Louisiana, Alabama, Missouri, Florida, Arkansas, Mississippi etc which are massively red states.

Or they are red areas of blue States like California.

And a lot of the infected people are vaccinated and not at risk of dying unlike before. Almost 99% of people in hospital have not been vaccinated and many are not vaccinated because of Trump and their trust in him.

@maxjam The clip you posted was largely about the Dems not trusting Trump to do the testing properly in an attempt to rush the vaccine through before election day and look like a hero.

This was perfectly justified as there were complaints by the drug companies that he was trying to influence the process by leaning on senior execs both publicly and privately.

The Dems swung behind the vaccine once it was started to be rolled out under Trump.

Plus, it's largely Republicans who aren't getting vaccinated and they're not influenced by Biden or Harris and certainly not Cuomo. But they are heavily influenced (still) by Trump to the point they think Fauci s a liar and many still think the entire thing is a conspiracy.

Even now Trump has not advised people to get vaccinated.

Apart from his family, of course.

We'll never know to what extent Democrats would have continued with their vaccine hesitancy if Trump had won the election.  What we do know however is that the pandemic has been negatively influenced by politics, especially in America, which has resulted in many on both sides of the political divide dying unnecessarily.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-pandemic-politics-877bcedb60014ff93a5908b971766c1e

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/563771-guess-who-undermined-public-confidence-in-vaccines

Edited by maxjam

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes, very true on the first point, I stand corrected and did mis-represent what was said.

Also very true on the second point that things may look different in time, so I assume you don't advocate vaccinating children and hoping for the best until more reliable data is available?

Yes, everyone benefits.

13 minutes ago, maxjam said:

We'll never know to what extent Democrats would have continued with their vaccine hesitancy if Trump had won the election.  What we do know however is that the pandemic has been negatively influenced by politics, especially in America, which has resulted in many on both sides of the political divide dying unnecessarily.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-pandemic-politics-877bcedb60014ff93a5908b971766c1e

Can't believe you fallen for it.

Every single American death is Trumps fault and any evidence to the contrary is just 'propaganda'!

Biden has consistently called on everyone to get vaccinated (well apart from during the election campaign when most deaths occurred)!

3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

We both tested positive so 3 of us have it now, with just one son who felt slightly off for about 24 hours. Wife gonna do PCR test now too.

None of us would have known if kids hadn't been tested before going back to school.

Hope you're all ok mate!

I'm off to see Jonathan Pie tonight and slightly concerned about getting it tbh.

The weekend in Matlock has shown me that people have pretty much dropped their guard now.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Can't believe you fallen for it.

Every single American death is Trumps fault and any evidence to the contrary is just 'propaganda'!

Biden has consistently called on everyone to get vaccinated (well apart from during the election campaign when most deaths occurred)!

Apologies, I will get back in my box...

shame-on-you-sad.gif