Derby v Barnsley, Saturday 6th Feb - Postponed

Kinder

21 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Marshall may be better at catching, but he's always rooted to his line when the ball comes into the box so we'll never find out.
The #1 requirement of a goalkeeper is keeping shots out of the goal. At the moment, we aren't a side which will score more than 1 goal on anything resembling a regular basis, so keeping the ball out of the net becomes even more important.

Roos - 75.0% save ratio
Marshall - 66.2% save ratio

47 keepers have played in the Championship this season. From those to have played at least as much as Roos (4 games) those with a better save ratio are:
Krul - 85.1%
Begovic - 80.2%
Woodman - 79.7%
Westwood - 79.2% (8 games)
Wilson - 78.8%
Iverson - 76.9% (4 games)
Dieng - 75.3%

Keepers to have played at least 4 games with a worse ratio than Marshall:
Rudd - 65.8%
Daniels - 64.7% (4 games)
Johansson - 64.3% (5 games)
Bursik - 58.3%

One of the best at keeping the ball out of the net vs one of the worst?

Surely these stats are pretty useless. It seems to calculate save ratio based on saves v total shots on target and doesn’t seem to take any account of how “saveable” the shot was.

Presumably, a “shot” that is little more than a gentle pass back caries the same value as a bullet to the top corner.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Surely these stats are pretty useless. It seems to calculate save ratio based on saves v total shots on target and doesn’t seem to take any account of how “saveable” the shot was.

You're right. Here's a chart from last season (can't be bothered to look for a more recent one)

image.png.d711fb76a0b3c5c805572e9af6c57608.png

I agree that Marshall seems a tad overrated. Both keepers stay on their line. Marshall is calmer, but his kicking can be dodgy. Not much to chose between them for me.

Which formation would work best against Barnsley.

I'm guessing they will not change from a 343 formation. I'd match Swansea formation, that they beat Barnsley with this season. 3142.

Any other suggestions. 

4231 doesn't seem that effective against 343.

What team line up would you recommend?

Think we are going to have our work cut out again for this match , physical , strong , pressing side who also like to play football , Woodrow the danger man , i would play 3 at the back and ask our full backs to push their wingers back and try and starve woodrow of the ball , hopefully if a chance comes our way we take it this time COYR

48 minutes ago, Oldben said:

I'm guessing they will not change from a 343 formation. I'd match Swansea formation, that they beat Barnsley with this season. 3142.

Any other suggestions. 

Match their formation, we have better players.

Marshall

Mengi                 Clarke

Byrne                                                Buchanan 
          Knight    Baningime  Shinnie      

Roberts                Sibley

Kazim-Richards

Won’t be that but it gave me a bit of fun so leave me alone!

Roos

Byrne       Wisdom     Clarke       Buchanan

Baningime

Shinnie           Knight

Roberts            Kazim            Jozwiak

3 hours ago, Oldben said:

Any other suggestions. 

1E3ED2E0-EDFA-4A57-AADE-07AEB2B8F157.gif

33 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Do we though? Based on what exactly? They're 12th, they beat us 2-0 at PP and just having a quick glance at their squad I'd rather have theirs than ours. 

They'll beat us again tomorrow. 

Yes we do. Based on the table since Rooney has been in charge. 

The 2-0 defeat was under Cocu so that's not relevant now. 

Which of their players do you think would get in our team ?  

43 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Do we though? Based on what exactly? They're 12th, they beat us 2-0 at PP and just having a quick glance at their squad I'd rather have theirs than ours. 

They'll beat us again tomorrow. 

Blimey, I haven't seen your username for ages!

How are you, hope Jacob is doing well in Australia?

Don't take offence, it's pretty clear to me, at least, Derby isn't your team!

I did enjoy your contributions though, hope you have some good feelings left for us!

31 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Yes we do. Based on the table since Rooney has been in charge. 

The 2-0 defeat was under Cocu so that's not relevant now. 

Which of their players do you think would get in our team ?  

I think there CB Anderson is good, as well as Mowatt and Woodrow. So that's three of there players I'd put in our team.

Cocu's and Rooney's Derby are so different, people need to stop thinking of them as the same team. Even though it's mostly the same players, you can't judge this season as one entity.

Id make 3 changes for Barnsley. As per the 'GF column' thread, we're not creating enough chances & the only way to address that is to remove some of the industry from our midfield. Sorry to say but we can't have Knight & Shinnie in midfield and expect to be creative. I would keep Shinnie alongside Bird & bring in Roberts, playing at number 10. I'd also bring Sibley back into the starting XI to give us further attacking threat & give Mengi his debut in place of Wisdom, who was particularly bad Weds night.

20210205_194041.jpg.a88ac93dc71f829a3575e8919b736673.jpg

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Id make 3 changes for Barnsley. As per the 'GF column' thread, we're not creating enough chances & the only way to address that is to remove some of the industry from our midfield. Sorry to say but we can't have Knight & Shinnie in midfield and expect to be creative. I would keep Shinnie alongside Bird & bring in Roberts, playing at number 10. I'd also bring Sibley back into the starting XI to give us further attacking threat & give Mengi his debut in place of Wisdom, who was particularly bad Weds night.

20210205_194041.jpg.a88ac93dc71f829a3575e8919b736673.jpg

I like the idea of that trio interchanging at times behind kazim. Having Knight to come off the bench would be good too. My only worry would be whether the defence can be solid enough in that set up.

Barnsley are a decent team going forward, better than Rotherham.

Part or me thinks we'd be better off in 343

Mengi Wisdom Clarke

Byrne Knight Shinnie Buchanan

Roberts Kazim Jozwiak

But I'm honestly not sure any more to be honest, just hope Wayne has a clearer idea of what to do

Archived