State of the pitch

FindernRam

12 hours ago, Charlie George said:

It's a financial issue. Rooney confirmed it on Radio Derby after the game.

If this is true, what has been lacking to make it a nicer pitch? Eg not enough lamp time to grow the grass better? Weather has been terrible, but I’m sure they would have looked at the forecasts before deciding to resurface the pitch? What does extra money get you? (As you can tell, I’m no grass expert)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is not the pitch that counts but the football played on it and we do not seem to have any problems doing that. 

Has Matt Clarke said after the game, "he had played on far worse in division one"  The baseball ground was worse and god what magic was played on it. 

With 1 home game in the next 3 & 1/2 weeks hopefully we can try to improve the pitch. I think once the transfer window is out the way we might be in a better position to finance & focus on the pitch.

But with 9 home games left to play I feel like we will just do our best to maintain/improve it on a budget until it can get re-laid in the summer

50 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

A muddy pitch makes games more fun if teams adapt to the conditions. Good crunching tackles, passing the ball harder. Felt like a proper match at the weekend.

Not really. Makes it difficult to pass to each other, slows the whole game down, makes it more difficult to create chances, increases the injury risk, makes it harder to dribble past players.

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, wombatram said:

Noticed Watford’s pitch was beautiful, it didn’t even have worn patches where the keepers stand... shame. PP used to be like this... 

Saw Peterborough’s pitch on SKY today......looked like a farmer’s field that had just been ploughed, hardly a blade of grass....

On 31/01/2021 at 20:28, Rev said:

Seeing as games are behind closed doors why not switch to Loughborough?

It's like a billiard table compared to PP.

That sounds possible in theory, but all championship grounds are equipped with a system of cameras for goal line technology and the quality of lighting to go with it, I'm not sure that Loughborough would meet these standards, then you'll need further facilities and camera locations, etc.

How embarrassing to suggest we play there. I suspect the new surface is a cheap option, certainly not semi synthetic. If you watch the Swansea home game, it actually looked far worse after they re laid it. 
if it is a financial issue, reducing staff to the minimum and laying cheap turf, then it is a false economy. 

Archived