State of the pitch

FindernRam

This is just my opinion, but I think that the condition of the pitch isn't because of lack of finance. It might have something to so with it not being re-laid, but much of the trouble is simply due to the weather. 

We have had consistently bad, wet weather for the last few months, and although there haven't been the storms and deluges we normally get around  now, the rainfall has been pretty incessant. So the ground is absolutely saturated, it has no more capacity t take more water in, so it just runs off, or simply stays put. I travel all over the country and know where to expect to see the flood plains, but there are a huge amount more fields under water than I have ever seen before, and I have been doing this job for 20 odd years. When Pride Park was built, it was at the same level as the entire surrounding area, so there is nowhere for the eater to go, regardless of how good a drainage system we have. So the water just sits there in the pitch which has no chance to dry and breathe. At the time, it may not have been possible to foresee this situation, but maybe the stadium, especially the pitch, should have been built at a higher physical level than the rest of Pride Park so that the water still had somewhere to go. The only other option would be to install a huge underground  tank near the ground to act as a buffer to drain the water into, and then pump it out at a later date.

19 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

This is just my opinion, but I think that the condition of the pitch isn't because of lack of finance. It might have something to so with it not being re-laid, but much of the trouble is simply due to the weather. 

We have had consistently bad, wet weather for the last few months, and although there haven't been the storms and deluges we normally get around  now, the rainfall has been pretty incessant. So the ground is absolutely saturated, it has no more capacity t take more water in, so it just runs off, or simply stays put. I travel all over the country and know where to expect to see the flood plains, but there are a huge amount more fields under water than I have ever seen before, and I have been doing this job for 20 odd years. When Pride Park was built, it was at the same level as the entire surrounding area, so there is nowhere for the eater to go, regardless of how good a drainage system we have. So the water just sits there in the pitch which has no chance to dry and breathe. At the time, it may not have been possible to foresee this situation, but maybe the stadium, especially the pitch, should have been built at a higher physical level than the rest of Pride Park so that the water still had somewhere to go. The only other option would be to install a huge underground  tank near the ground to act as a buffer to drain the water into, and then pump it out at a later date.

Who relays their lawn in winter?  Mel owns the ground we only rent it, sort it out

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

Who relays their lawn in winter?  Mel owns the ground we only rent it, sort it out

Where I work, we rented the building, yet were responsible for all upkeep too, until we bought it outright.

Are you seriously suggesting the landlord is responsible for the state of the pitch?

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

It's a financial issue. Rooney confirmed it on Radio Derby after the game.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

Where I work, we rented the building, yet were responsible for all upkeep too, until we bought it outright.

Are you seriously suggesting the landlord is responsible for the state of the pitch?

We only pay rent for 100 days a year. Landlord should look after it on the other 265 days?

To be honest, I think this is just a ploy by the club to renegotiate the contract and reduce the rate paid.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We only pay rent for 100 days a year. Landlord should look after it on the other 265 days?

To be honest, I think this is just a ploy by the club to renegotiate the contract and reduce the rate paid.

So you think the club have let the pitch go to rack and ruin, to reduce the amount of rent we pay to the person who owns the stadium, who is also the person that owns the club?

I'm not sure I see the logic, if I'm honest.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s not even funny anymore, the state of the pitch today was frankly an embarrassment to a club of our stature. Absolutely piss poor. Shows the financial mess we’ve got ourselves into. Sort it out Mel/Sheikhy. This can’t carry on.

Could prove to be an asset. All other teams play on it once. We will be used to it. Suits aggressive play and sharp short passes. Was Wayne playing to the pitch today 

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Could prove to be an asset. All other teams play on it once. We will be used to it. Suits aggressive play and sharp short passes. Was Wayne playing to the pitch today 

Don’t think it suits short passes at all. Was bobbling all over the place today. Rooney has already said he’s disappointed with it.

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Don’t think it suits short passes at all. Was bobbling all over the place today. Rooney has already said he’s disappointed with it.

We are all disappointed with it. So many successful shirt passes today we're a feature of the match. Make a long pass in a sticky bobbly surface and it does not get there unless it is lofted.

8 hours ago, Rev said:

So you think the club have let the pitch go to rack and ruin, to reduce the amount of rent we pay to the person who owns the stadium, who is also the person that owns the club?

I'm not sure I see the logic, if I'm honest.

Tongue in cheek perhaps?