v Chorley (A) FA Cup Match Thread

Day

11 minutes ago, Bearwood Ram said:

I lived in Alfreton for 20 years and there's a sizeable Red Dog fanbase there. He's probably a Forest fan having a 'laugh' 

I lived in Alfreton many years ago. There was s sizeable fanbase of red dogs  then too, and I knew both of them

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Xlor said:

Questioning my parental skills on a dcfc forum? ????. You keep burying you're head in the sand, I'll keep saying what I see. Average age of 19 isnt classed as BOYS. It was pathetic.

Not at all. You could be the best mother/father a child could ever have. I just wonder how you’d feel if your son made his debut today and you then read some chump on a forum writing your son’s future off after 90 minutes! For reference, I didn’t say they were boys because of their average age, they are boys cos they are physically not developed yet, i used my eyes! 

1 minute ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Think you underestimate the football ability of non leaguers. Some have had league experience. Some non league players could play in leagues 1 and 2 easily. Unsure if any Chorley players could today but I bet some wouldn’t look out of place. Some of their team have had a lot of clubs on their cv. Some of our team would have been playing under 15 football a couple of years back. Maybe our team are disappointed with not causing them more problems but they’ve been thrown in there and it’s no shame losing that match. It’s a shame it’s gone ahead due to the situation, at least it’s given a non league club extra revenue and a chance for some people to fulfil some dreams. Disappointed to be out the cup. Well done Chorley and well done to our team for representing.

I dont underestimate non league what so ever. I've seen some proper good, talented sides against Alfreton, Ilkeston, Mickleover, borrowash and south normanton. Sides far better than blumin chorley. I'm amazed none of ya could see how awful it was. Kicking the ground, fresh air kicks by so called talented youth? Nah, never. That doesn't happen as often as it did today at sunday level.

A real mismatch & another nail in the credibility of the FA & the FA Cup. Have to question a fixture when even the bookies are making a 6th tier non-league team favourites against a Championship side.

Congratulations to Chorley though, pleased they've been able to get a few bob from this cup run & hope they get a Prem big boy in Round 4. Was happy to chuck in a few quid to their fundraiser pre-match...these clubs are the bedrock of football in this country.

Also credit to the young lads who represented Derby County today. Didnt see any heads drop & as others have mentioned, they definitely improved second half as they got to grips with the challenge. To play against a well drilled, physical team on an icy pitch was a big ask. For a number of them though, this will be the making of them. Bit like the League Cup reversal at Forest nearly 18 months ago, they now know what 'the basics' are in men's football & it'll help give some context to their overall development.

8 minutes ago, Xlor said:

I dont underestimate non league what so ever. I've seen some proper good, talented sides against Alfreton, Ilkeston, Mickleover, borrowash and south normanton. Sides far better than blumin chorley. I'm amazed none of ya could see how awful it was. Kicking the ground, fresh air kicks by so called talented youth? Nah, never. That doesn't happen as often as it did today at sunday level.

Pitch was bad today, it was a one off match. And I’m not sure some of those teams would not be better than Chorley. We had a kids team out. And the performance wasn’t great but they were up against it playing against experienced players. I knew someone who played for Alfreton, he had been mainly playing league for years before and could easily have played league later into career instead of non league. Some of our team will probably end up with jobs outside of football. 

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Not at all. You could be the best mother/father a child could ever have. I just wonder how you’d feel if your son made his debut today and you then read some chump on a forum writing your son’s future off after 90 minutes! For reference, I didn’t say they were boys because of their average age, they are boys cos they are physically not developed yet, i used my eyes! 

What do lot want then? Shall I lie to suit you all? 

While 95% were saying we'd get promoted I was getting abused cos I said we we're toss and that was before a ball was kicked. 

We train everyday, they turn up for training for 4 hours a week in a j reg van after 2 tins of kronenberg while they're stuck in traffic after an 8 hour shift. 

Forget the scoreline. They had 20 shots to our 0. That number 7 never sprinted all game! Took him off, his replacement couldnt kick the football properly.  In fact, Gis a job, I can find 11 under 20s better than that tommorrow afternoon

1 minute ago, Xlor said:

While 95% were saying we'd get promoted I was getting abused cos I said we we're toss and that was before a ball was kicked. 

We train everyday, they turn up for training for 4 hours a week in a j reg van after 2 tins of kronenberg while they're stuck in traffic after an 8 hour shift. 

Forget the scoreline. They had 20 shots to our 0. That number 7 never sprinted all game! Took him off, his replacement couldnt kick the football properly.  In fact, Gis a job, I can find 11 under 20s better than that tommorrow afternoon

Sorry mate, but that bit in particular is utter dross.

Are you gonna be here all night mate? With due respect I think you've made your point now.

Thought the young lads did well under the circumstances. Chorley were always going to use their physicality against the young lads. Chorley showed great desire to defend and work hard, could see when the ball went out for our goal kicks they would all sprint back to position. Good luck to them. 

On our young lads, you can look at the stats and say we were dominated, which we were in the first half. But the way they managed to find a way to cope and challenge much older more experienced players impressed me. We started the second half well and knocked the ball about well. 

On another day cresswell scores at the start or gets a pen (I know the keeper gets the ball but Cresswell still had the ball past him and would have tapped it in). I think Cresswell, Hutchinson, our number 8 (Thompson?) and Ebosele will have futures in the game. 

7 minutes ago, Xlor said:

Love the use of the word ‘against’ like the local teams were rubbish 

In fairness you’ve backed all this up by saying you’ve watched Alfreton for 32 years so you know what rubbish football looks like! Maybe have a look into youth football and help yourself understand the differences a bit more?

18 minutes ago, Xlor said:

A) not even the first team train EVERY day

B) academy players are sometimes still at school or college so will perhaps only get a couple of two hour training sessions a week until they go full time pro

C) nonsense about the opposition. Most still harbour hopes of playing at higher levels. They are non-league, NOT amateur. There’s a distinction. 

D) Why would you hold a bunch of kids to a higher standard than seasoned professionals? I’ve seen the best players in the best leagues in the world take air shots, trip over their own feet and pass the ball straight into touch. 

E) I personally think you should have some understanding and compassion/empathy. Imagine how intimidating it would be for these unblooded youngsters! How can YOU not realistically expect them to be out of their depth! 

F) Their development, and the level of competition they are used to, means they’re only used to playing against teams who try and play the same way, passing and moving. There’ll be no exposure to 18st 6ft2in opponents throwing physicality about! 

G) How would you be feeling right now, if any of those who played today was your son? Proud? Or Embarrassed? 

all in all, I don’t disagree that it wasn’t great, but your damning and overly harsh judgement says more about your lack of grip on reality than it says about the kids that played !!

19 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Why did Hutchinson DUCK for the cross/second goal? Criminal that, man up it’s a bag of air.

He looked ok in some patches, then just faded throughout the game.

"Criminal" - really? And would you say that to those suffering dementia due to heading footballs in their careers? Its bad on here today. Night night

I don’t understand how some people can’t put today into context. 

Many, if not all, of Chorley’s players will have been through an academy system. The first goal scorer was Bolton’s academy player of the year at one stage. Some have played for England youth teams, others have played league football.

They aren’t just older and better physically developed, they were outright better footballers. It is what it is. 

1 hour ago, James Pond said:

I played against Alfreton Blue Bell close to 32 years ago, They were riding high in the top division of the Derby City league, We had the miss fortune to be drawn against them in the league cup, I'll not mention who I played for, We were a bunch of has beens and never will Bs and 3-4 divisions below them, They turned up thinking there's a cricket score on the cards here, To be fare...so did we, At 0-0 our keeper went to take a goal kick and before he kicked the ball his boot lace got caught in the other boots studs and went ar$e over tit, Alfreton to a man burst out laughing, We went on to win the game 3-2, Made the headlines in the Green Un, The goalkeeper played a blinder that day and I have to admit it...I thought I did play well too as I was the Keeper.

Alfreton trained twice a week and were all big lads, We trained in the pub ate a chip cob and sank many beers, Never underestimate football, To pour scorn on Alfreton they complained we had "ringers" in the team, We did have one...our CH an ex pro player that we had to fetch from his home to make the numbers up, But I'm sure he wasn't the reason we won, It was Alfretons attitude...?

I knew all that blue bell team, they were a very decent footballing team who destroyed everyone. Well done for beating them!! 

Archived