v Chorley (A) FA Cup Match Thread

Day

I'm annoyed by the fact we even had to play that. It seems we all have to follow the rules except the FA! (Sorry... not the place for political conversation, I know).

Considering that half of that squad lost 3-1 to Liverpool U18s in December, they didn't do too bad. As well as I expected anyway against a senior team. Some bright sparks in there; I thought Solomon, Ebosele, Hutchinson and Cresswell did well for themselves. 

Will be keeping a lookout for Chorley in the next round. Here's hoping they get a Liverpool or a Man City/United and another televised payday to swell the club coffers.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, sage said:

I'm angry that we had to play that game. Farcical. 

I'm not. We are in unprecedented circumstances, if clubs are unable to fulfil fixtures then football will either had to pause or cancel the league.

Given we are in lockdown, one of the few pleasures available to me (won't say the others ? ) is watching football. For others and me, football is providing a welcome distraction in difficult times, the authorities, the clubs like us, are just trying to get through this period as best they can.

We lost, but Chorley for the first time in their history are in the 4th round, good luck to them.

4 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Not sure proud is a word I’ll use today. We were outplayed in every regard and didn’t have the quality to actually create or break through the lines (first half opportunity excluded).

It frustrates me that every time after these sort of things happen, we always go “you did us proud lads” and so on. No I didn’t see anything that suggested that.

What I saw is that full grown men are better than kids. I don’t have an issue with that. On top of this, circa ten of our under 23’s are not even available due to isolation/the virus.

Its just realism of the situation. So well done Cresswell, Hutchinson and Ebosele as what I saw in there games was a suggestion they could go on to bigger things.

No one else really took an opportunity to shine sadly.

Anyway, what I am proud of is that Derby as a club didn’t go running to the FA looking for a cancellation. I think it should have been and it won’t be a surprise if some of the party today end up with the virus but for the club saying “we’ll honour the game” regardless of the team that we can put out - that is respectful.

I just hope either QPR lose today so the game on the 23rd Jan can take place or Rotherham lose (looking likely) so we can squeeze that rearranged game into the 23rd slot.

Agree with most but ebosele. He was like a two Ronnie's sketch. Stood on the ball and fell on his nut and fresh aired one within 5 mins of coming on. Comical to the point my nipper asked me what I was laughing at

11 minutes ago, Xlor said:

Absolutely brilliant from a team that trains everyday in top class facilities against plasterers that train tues and thurs for 2 hours followed by a chip cob and a gallon in the clubhouse. Unlucky not to have had more than zero shots I thought as some of the skills on offer were tremendous. Standing on the ball, fresh air attempts, kicking the grass instead of the ball, shin rollers, controlling the ball midfield so it goes out for a throw in. Genius tactics. Cant believe pep hasn't thought of these before. Lull them in. 

The centre forward looks a good prospect. 9ft tall, 7 st, touch like a trampoline, legs dont know which way to go. 

The futures bright, that's for sure. Barca esq. 

This might be the worst post I've ever seen on this forum. And that's really saying something.

1 minute ago, Xlor said:

Agree with most but ebosele. He was like a two Ronnie's sketch. Stood on the ball and fell on his nut and fresh aired one within 5 mins of coming on. Comical to the point my nipper asked me what I was laughing at

Of course the icy pitch had nothing to do with it - you ever seen football before?

2 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

I'm not. We are in unprecedented circumstances, if clubs are unable to fulfil fixtures then football will either had to pause or cancel the league.

Given we are in lockdown, one of the few pleasures available to me (won't say the others ? ) is watching football. For others and me, football is providing a welcome distraction in difficult times, the authorities, the clubs like us, are just trying to get through this period as best they can.

We lost, but Chorley for the first time in their history are in the 4th round, good luck to them.

We all know its lego and ping pong

Positives from todays game - Cherry Pickers make decent football viewing platforms. Women like to eat Yogurt/Mousse at matches. Chorley have some decent flags.
Negatives - BT crowd noise sounded like a school outing, the baseball ground pitch circa 78 was better than todays, bbc will probably report that Chorley 'thrashed' Derby, sunday papers headlines 'Disappointing Derby lose to Chorley'/'Dismal Derby Dismantled'/'Dreary Derby Dumped'.

thought we did ok with the team we put out , the boys can hold their heads up , Jinky and Solomon did well at the back , hutchinson worked hard as did Bardell , Duncan only had scraps to work with , people being harsh to him on here .

Lets hope the lads that are ill get better soon , bring on Rotherham COYR

I hope that the players today are able to shut out the noise from the general football world telling then they should have still beat Chorley. They have had a fantastic experience and they were up against it today, hiding to nothing.

They should be proud and happy that they got this chance in crazy circumstances. I have a fear that some players will feel that way, but others will have felt hideously exposed and it might set them way back. 

No plaudits here for all concerned except maybe Chorleys groundstaff, Chorley FC, DCFC and the FA had little option but to get this game over the line, There was an FA spokesperson on Sky news on Thursday explaining the rules for this years FA Cup, A crammed season with the emphasis on getting games on and completed whatever we the people deam fair or unfair.

Our season drags on and on with no light at the end of a very long tunnel, From a personel point of view, We should have forfieted the game, I'm driving between my home and my Brothers home to cook him his dinner as he's had major spinal surgery, I have to mask up and wash before I get in his flat, Unprecidented times i'm sorry to say...it would appear football is still driven by money rather than health and safety ?

15 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

As I said I only had Radio Derby to go on so happy to hear different opinions. Both Dawes and Steele went to town on him.

I said it may as well have been Marriott, it'd have been the same. Also thought the pitch wasn't one to go rushing about on, tricky/slippy in places.

21 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I can’t believe people are criticising this. The team we put out wasn’t even our first choice academy team. This was our 3rd/4th team!  Majority of those players will never play in the football league. They deserve huge credit, made a game of it and we didn’t disgrace ourselves. 

Positives for Derby are Solomon, Cresswell and maybe Hutchinson. Ebosele good to get some minutes back under his belt. 

I’m sure others have said it but hugely disappointed in Duncan. I only had radio Derby to go on but it sounded like he couldn’t even be bothered to run. For all this lad thinks he’s a superstar, he will never make it if he doesn’t do the basics. He did nothing. If I’m being harsh because he’s been out for a while then fair dos, otherwise the lad needs to hear some home truths!!

Maybe they saw a different game to me, but I wouldn't have singled him out for any additional criticism. Ball didn't come to him that often and he was isolated a lot. Not sure where the running but has come from...as for being a superstar, maybe that's why he is being harshly, IMO, criticised, it's irrelevant what he has done in the past, if the ball is nowhere near you, then there is not a lot you can do.

2 minutes ago, James Pond said:

No plaudits here for all concerned except maybe Chorleys groundstaff, Chorley FC, DCFC and the FA had little option but to get this game over the line, There was an FA spokesperson on Sky news on Thursday explaining the rules for this years FA Cup, A crammed season with the emphasis on getting games on and completed whatever we the people deam fair or unfair.

Our season drags on and on with no light at the end of a very long tunnel, From a personel point of view, We should have forfieted the game, I'm driving between my home and my Brothers home to cook him his dinner as he's had major spinal surgery, I have to mask up and wash before I get in his flat, Unprecidented times i'm sorry to say...it would appear football is still driven by money rather than health and safety ?

Everything is driven by money before health and safely, you only have to look at Grenfell Tower.

Archived