v Chorley (A) FA Cup Match Thread

Day

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

4th string at most in all seriousness.

1. First XI

2. Subs/reserves

3. 1st choice U23s

5th choice GK (not even including the 3 we have out on loan). 7th choice CF, and our first 8 wingers all unavailable. Our 3rd choice LB tested positive the day before the game forcing us to use a winger at LB. I could go on...

We had so few players available that we weren't even able to name a full subs bench.despite having over 40 players officially make up the U23 and U18 sqauds.

I'm with you buddy. Try explaining that to @Cisse who still thinks its a "bloody disgrace" to have lost.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, angieram said:

I must admit even I am getting a bit fed up of the cash-strapped plucky underdogs story. If they are paying their part-time ex-pro footballers up to £350  per week they are hardly Alfreton Town! 

I'm sure that was meant to be us next season?

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

I must admit even I am getting a bit fed up of the cash-strapped plucky underdogs story. If they are paying their part-time ex-pro footballers up to £350  per week they are hardly Alfreton Town! 

I went off them when saw one really winding up one of ours and smirking about when they had a corner. Like when my teenager has played cricket and some real "village" numpty has sledged him - really a 14 year old- and thought he was so funny. Also havent read anyone thank our fans for donations or even mention it either but may have missed it. 

Just now, CBRammette said:

I went off them when saw one really winding up one of ours and smirking about when they had a corner. Like when my teenager has played cricket and some real "village" numpty has sledged him - really a 14 year old- and thought he was so funny. Also havent read anyone thank our fans for donations or even mention it either but may have missed it. 

I mentioned this yesterday not a word officially that I have seen

1 minute ago, CBRammette said:

I think the guy who came on here a lot did, but nothing from the club or in the media. We have so many problems of our own at the moment, that I imagine the club were just relieved to get the match out of the way. 

It's not pleasant for us fans though having to suck up all the misinformation about the tie on tv.

17 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think the guy who came on here a lot did, but nothing from the club or in the media. We have so many problems of our own at the moment, that I imagine the club were just relieved to get the match out of the way. 

It's not pleasant for us fans though having to suck up all the misinformation about the tie on tv.

And the world press all the headlines championship club shocked by minnows

On a related matter, can anyone explain to me why we had to isolate our entire first team squad after playing Sheffield Wednesday, yet they had positives but many of their squad that played us were allowed to play themselves yesterday. Shouldn't they have been isolating too?

Furthermore Angieram, we had positive cases in the squad training for yesterdays tie yet the rest of the squad didn't have to isolate. We could have isolated the team and asked to postbone, like Shrewsbury, as we couldn't fulfil the tie.

It's hard to fathom

Well, I am pleased we played the game, but unless every one of our first team tested positive, then I see no difference between any of the negatives playing and Reach, Bannan, Paterson etc playing for Wednesday. 

Their win against Exeter was described as morale-boosting, as I am sure ours would have been if a number of our first team could have played. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Third string wasn't it given a lot of our more senior under 23's were also unable to play?

I raise it to 4th string!

1st string = 1st XI

2nd string = First team squad players (e.g. Roos, Evans, Holmes, Marriott, etc)

3rd string = regular U23 starters

4th string = U18s and a handful of U23 squad players (only Hutchinson is a regular starter for the U23s from yesterday's line up)

10 hours ago, Lancashire lad said:

I think it's more to do with a team with 350£ aweek best paid player being in the hat for last 32 and 16 of the FA cup

Just to balance things up a bit, that's around or indeed more than a lot of what the Derby players who played yesterday are on, especially the U18s who made up the bulk of the side.  

12 minutes ago, angieram said:

Well, I am pleased we played the game, but unless every one of our first team tested positive, then I see no difference between any of the negatives playing and Reach, Bannan, Paterson etc playing for Wednesday. 

Their win against Exeter was described as morale-boosting, as I am sure ours would have been if a number of our first team could have played. 

Best just to let it go Angie. The rules around Covid and football and who can do what and when seem to be very confused. 

To be honest I've found the whole thing has become an unwanted circus and look forward to seeing the first team back in action in the Championship on Saturday. 

15 minutes ago, angieram said:

Agreed? I don’t understand it at all. How can a club be missing so many players and yet be made to play?

29 minutes ago, angieram said:

On a related matter, can anyone explain to me why we had to isolate our entire first team squad after playing Sheffield Wednesday, yet they had positives but many of their squad that played us were allowed to play themselves yesterday. Shouldn't they have been isolating too?

You only have to isolate if you have been in close proximity to someone for more than 15 minutes in an enclosed environment. All the players have bubbles for when they are indoors, so we've probably had players across each bubble test positive, whereas Sheff Wed could have had just the 1 or maybe 2 bubbles that have tested positive (I haven't seen how many positive tests they have had). 

In truth it doesn’t really matter as the fa cup has become an irrelevance to us. 

the premier league is becoming out of reach even for promoted sides who just yo yo up and down. 
the mission statement in our accounts states that we aspire to be a sustainable premier league club. That’s no longer credible. 

our limit is the championship top 6 and even that looks a struggle.

11 minutes ago, rynny said:

You only have to isolate if you have been in close proximity to someone for more than 15 minutes in an enclosed environment. All the players have bubbles for when they are indoors, so we've probably had players across each bubble test positive, whereas Sheff Wed could have had just the 1 or maybe 2 bubbles that have tested positive (I haven't seen how many positive tests they have had). 

I’m pretty sure that Sheff wed first team players were in close proximity to all those who tested positive for at least 90 minutes. 

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I’m pretty sure that Sheff wed first team players were in close proximity to all those who tested positive for at least 90 minutes. 

In an outdoor environment though. The rules are crazy (from health England). 

Just now, rynny said:

In an outdoor environment though. The rules are crazy (from health England). 

What about the time spent in the changing rooms too?

Archived