New Manager

dantheram

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Because many assumed it would be easy to better him! 

There was context when Mac1 came in. Nigel Clough had spent 6 years turning a sinking ship around and painstakingly putting together a group of players who had been carefully selected not just on playing skills. Mac’s coaching added the spark but the Club was all set up. Mac’s ability to build a squad is not his strength. Getting players to play is. So, why not go for the same model again? Ie a Director of football with Mac in charge of coaching? That’s the same model that Clough (Brian) utilised. Taylor spotted the players and Clough made them play. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

There was context when Mac1 came in. Nigel Clough had spent 6 years turning a sinking ship around and painstakingly putting together a group of players who had been carefully selected not just on playing skills. Mac’s coaching added the spark but the Club was all set up. Mac’s ability to build a squad is not his strength. Getting players to play is. So, why not go for the same model again? Ie a Director of football with Mac in charge of coaching? That’s the same model that Clough (Brian) utilised. Taylor spotted the players and Clough made them play. 

I like this a lot ellafella,who would we hoope to bring in for the dof role?

1 hour ago, jono said:

Hughes is an interesting one but wherever he has done ok (I recall good spells and Blackburn and Stoke ? )  it has always been a slow burn. I can’t see it myself but it’s such a weird world anything could happen. I mean we might even trash Barnsley today ?

Hughes....no thanks....

26 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I like this a lot ellafella,who would we hoope to bring in for the dof role?

Nigel Clough would be my first choice but that won’t happen. However, he is perfect for DoF.

Not sure who else there is...there aren’t a lot of wise heads out there in football land. Where are the Jim Smiths? The Peter Taylors? Needs somebody with great connections in English Football who can judge a player. Do you @kash_a_ram_a_ding_donghave any ideas? Mick McCarthy? 

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

Nigel Clough would be my first choice but that won’t happen. However, he is perfect for DoF.

Not sure who else there is...there aren’t a lot of wise heads out there in football land. Where are the Jim Smiths? The Peter Taylors? Needs somebody with great connections in English Football who can judge a player. Do you @kash_a_ram_a_ding_donghave any ideas? Mick McCarthy? 

Arsene Wenger?

4 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Ha, we're still waiting

Maybe he's still combing his hair, just wish he'd hitch a ride and sort things out.. 

Mark Hughes? Please God no. Miserable, dour, moaning, defensive, excuse-ridden, personality vacuum. To misquote Mourinho he is 'an expert in mediocrity'. 

Paul Cook has done well but isn't very glamorous and it would be a risky step up. 

Eddie Howe is a rung up from him, but somehow I can't really take to him to be honest. Safe-ish but uninspiring pair of hands. 

Jokanovic takes no prisoners and is successful at this level, so is the obvious choice. 

Benitez is a world class manager, anyone saying he is too defensive is really missing the point. 

Just wish the sale would go through and we can get some idea of what supermarket we are now shopping in. 

10 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I watched plenty of great Mac 2 when he dragged us up the league that season

Too true. Pity Mac 2 didn’t get the owner’s osupport Phil is getting. Guess sacking another manager is embarrassing him.

Cocu appears to be dead man walking, whatever happens, although not many managers excite me from the names branded.  

I'm too much in the dark with the potential new owners and if he genuinely has the funds, plus they are very much an unknown on what their intentions are.  MM has made some huge mistakes during his tenure and has frittered away millions on very ordinary players, but I do feel somehow the club has/had more security under him, despite our brush with the EFL.  

I actually prefer a build with hidden gems (Marshall, Byrne etc.) and up and coming talent (Sibley, Buchanan etc) although feel we need a real solid championship central midfield leader to knit this together and we'd be fine.  Throw in a powerful goal scorer and another centre half as we go and we'd be challenging top end no doubt.  

I'm assuming the new owners are going to come in and appoint a new coach and be throwing money around and overpay players to try and get us to the Premiership.  We are probably one of a few clubs whereby this has never worked and I'm cut from the Cox and TBE teams, which we're built and came together to give us some fantastic times.   Think Paul Cook is in the mould of the TBE and would probably be my choice based on Wigan's team last season and the run he had them on, but it won't happen. 

Cheers

Gangway D from the terrace.

Jokanovic jumped from a top flight job elsewhere to come to the championship before. Would be ideal if we could get him to do it again. 

David Wagner I don't know as well but would assume would be considered. 

Paul Cook under Mel would maybe have worked but also need to have an eye on where we're going to. 

I can't see anything other than Rooney as caretaker and failed attempts at enticing Wenger, Gerrard and Howe.

16 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Not many were bothered when Mac2 ended on here.

Speak for yourself. There were a lot of people disappointed that we got rid of him a second time. Even in his second spell we've only had one manager with a better record than McClaren since Billy Davies and that is Darren Wassall.

Would have McClaren back in an instant for me.

What don't we do something novel and pluck an unknown manager from relative obscurity who then is a success at the club rather then the hackneyed approach of acquiring a manager whose already done that.

Apologies for mentioning Farke but also Wagner spring to mind. 

The list of "known" managers currently available is pretty uninspiring which is why an interim in Wassall may be a a good shout unless we have that much money to throw at it we are going to start paying out contracts of managers currently employed plus paying off Cocu simultaneously.

I'm going for Will Hughes,  as medical science improves Will, at the age of 55 becomes player manager at Derby having re-signed for them at the age of 35 and won 20 premier league trophies,  15 champions league , 18 fa cup and 16 amazon prime league cup trophies, retiring manager 'big' phil cocu said will will be an excellent replacement, and is sure he will build on his legacy having had a sticky start to his tenure as manager. 

Will is welcomed out to a capacity 300,000 crowd at pride park, while former local rivals Nottingham Forest welcome kilburn afc in a mid table central league Midlands thingy league. 

33 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Speak for yourself. There were a lot of people disappointed that we got rid of him a second time. Even in his second spell we've only had one manager with a better record than McClaren since Billy Davies and that is Darren Wassall.

Would have McClaren back in an instant for me.

There’s a poll to put up then by someone who knows how.

Mac3, yes or no.

Archived