New Manager

dantheram

13 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Wow. That list is far from inspiring.

I still hope Cocu swings it round but there's now the momentum of a laden oil tanker.

You've omitted Paul Simpson and Jokanović who would be my two preferred options.

I'm grateful for you skipping over the likes of Allardyce, Pardew, Pullis and McCarthy though I'm sure some would take those.

Darren Moore was apparently close before Cocu. I do like Chris Powell. I like Wassall and Nigel but they carry too much baggage for some on here.

Then sentiment would bring in Stimac and Eranio into the running.

I doubt the new owners would be thinking of - or even knowing - Rams legends though. They'll want a "name" so will try for Gerrard or Benitez and end up with Rooney.

Some fair points and agree we’ll probably end up with Rooney.

Tried to look at managers who would continue what is being built, I would love to avoid a pragmatist although staying in the league is vital. Jokanovic is an oversight but tried where possible to look at managers out of work. Benitez would be a shout but depends on what pulling power we have. 

Simmo would be uninspiring to me as a number 1 as would Darren Moore as not impressed by him tactically, he was only top 6 with the Baggies because he had one of the strongest squads in the league. I was keen for Chris Powell to take over from Pearson so wouldn’t be averse to that.

With him now isolating id be extremely surprised if we see Cocu again in the dugout. Like you, I’m absolutely gutted by this as thought he was the man to really build something sustainable. Despite our league position I think he’s laid some great foundations and whoever comes in could do a Mac and really take us up the league. It’s clear however right now it’s not working and the players need to hear a different message. QPR was one of the worst displays of the season and the team selection was truly baffling. I was with him right up until Tuesday and we’d seen a real upturn in performances in the past 3 games, but he completely destroyed that with the team selection. Cocu’s thinking seems completely scrambled right now and I just can’t see him turning it around.

It’s gutting because as you say, the list of managers out there isn’t particularly inspiring.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Jokanovic.

Stumbling block in his return to England has been his wages. You'd think the new owner might be able to afford them.

Jokanovic is probably the most realistic option that ticks most boxes. Good football, experience in the championship and getting teams promoted and has a reasonable record bringing through younger players (if I recall correctly). We've already got the backbones for his style of play, so you'd imagine he wouldn't need to make drastic changes to the playing staff either.

Unless you appoint Warnock or maybe Allardyce every other manager is a gamble in this league. Obviously some are bigger than others. For instance if we got Slaviša Jokanović or Eddie Howe I’d say they’re less of a risk than someone who’s never managed in England before. That said Reading have gone down that route and it’s paying dividends. 

I’d personally go for Jokanović or Howe with Cook as my less ambitious option. A lot of it is all down to luck, being in the right place at the right time. Cocu has had no luck whereas David Wagner seemed to have plenty during his promotion campaign with Huddersfield. 

The sooner it’s all sorted and everyone can get back behind the new man the better. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Lot of Twitter noise around Eddie Howe becoming the next Celtic manager for those who have already stuck his name up.

That would free up Lennon to come to us.

If there was anything to make me gag it would be that scenario.

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Why will we probably get Rooney?

We still know nothing about the deal,the owner,their intentions,their finances....in fact anything.

We need to wait and see before deciding what we will or won't get as we have zero information to work on!!

Rooney becoming manager has been something that has been lurking over us ever since he joined pretty much. It's been predominantly paper talk but it has been persistent throughout and Rooney did join with the view of getting his feet wet with coaching. Any new manager that isn't Rooney will have to contend with the media baying for Rooney any time we go through an iffy patch and that's without entertaining any of the more speculative theorys that have been flying around. Personally I think it has a decent chance of happening because he's a big name that an inexperienced new owner might appoint thinking it a good idea.

It'd be a dumb idea though.

Even dumber as player-manager.

6 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Unless you appoint Warnock or maybe Allardyce every other manager is a gamble in this league. Obviously some are bigger than others. For instance if we got Slaviša Jokanović or Eddie Howe I’d say they’re less of a risk than someone who’s never managed in England before. That said Reading have gone down that route and it’s paying dividends. 

I’d personally go for Jokanović or Howe with Cook as my less ambitious option. A lot of it is all down to luck, being in the right place at the right time. Cocu has had no luck whereas David Wagner seemed to have plenty during his promotion campaign with Huddersfield. 

The sooner it’s all sorted and everyone can get back behind the new man the better. 

I'd genuinely contend that Jokanovic is less a gamble than those you first mentioned or at least comparable.

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

I'd genuinely contend that Jokanovic is less a gamble than those you first mentioned or at least comparable.

He has an impressive record and like I say he’d be on my 3 man shortlist. I only say Warnock because like him or loathe him you can’t take away his record at getting teams up. Allardyce I was less sure of putting in that bracket but I think if you backed him financially he’d poohouse us up. 

3 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

He has an impressive record and like I say he’d be on my 3 man shortlist. I only say Warnock because like him or loathe him you can’t take away his record at getting teams up. Allardyce I was less sure of putting in that bracket but I think if you backed him financially he’d poohouse us up. 

Personally I think his record his somewhat overegged. He's managed for a long time at this level and only got one more promotion than Jokanovic to his name and never really been considered for a job any higher.

Allardyce my main concern (playing style to one side) is that he's been out of management for 2 years.

Jokanovic got both clubs he took over promoted playing attractive football and personally I think would be a better fit for the playing staff we have.

Warnock and Jokanovic fail the moment they get into the PL though. Same with Bilic. For some reason those managers dominate the Championship but do absoluetly terribly in the PL. There's no point going up one way, then having to completely reset the moment you're up.

If money is no concern now I'd rather take a chance at a promising up and coming manager with an exciting play style rather than a rush to get into the PL straight away. We'd be able to afford to fail a few times trying to find the right fit, but it would be better for us in the long run.

Also signing Eddie Howe would be absolutely terrible for Ibe!

1 minute ago, Shang said:

Warnock and Jokanovic fail the moment they get into the PL though. Same with Bilic. For some reason those managers dominate the Championship but do absoluetly terribly in the PL. There's no point going up one way, then having to completely reset the moment you're up.

If money is no concern now I'd rather take a chance at a promising up and coming manager with an exciting play style rather than a rush to get into the PL straight away. We'd be able to afford to fail a few times trying to find the right fit, but it would be better for us in the long run.

I think many fans would opt to take a chance on an up and coming manager but who? I can't think of anyone I'd be happy with from Leagues 1 & 2.

2 minutes ago, Shang said:

Warnock sure, I agree completely. 

Jokanovic though ? He was let go before the season started with Watford and if I recall correctly wasn't there a lot of noise about him being severly undermined (in the window particularly) at Fulham

Archived