v Stoke City (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

7 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

Really? Ibe? he still looks like he’s carrying two stone too much! We need a goal scorer. Sadly things won’t change until January at the earliest. We are a playing a lot more on the front foot and we are no longer the soft touch we were under Cocu

Totally disagree yes hes stocky but even LR has come out and said ibes ready so why not? Ibe would allow him to come and get the minutes and if he was stuggling then bring Waggy on! Wrong sub simple as that! Rooney is bigger the ibe but bet you wasn't saying he's 2 stone over weight even tho he wasn't good enough! 

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Totally disagree yes hes stocky but even LR has come out and said ibes ready so why not? Ibe would allow him to come and get the minutes and if he was stuggling then bring Waggy on! Wrong sub simple as that! Rooney is bigger the ibe but bet you wasn't saying he's 2 stone over weight even tho he wasn't good enough! 

It was clear it was the wrong sub after the event, however at the time he brought him on to do a job, he then rectified it by bringing him off. I'm not sure Ibe has 45 minutes in him when you  are wanting your wingers to track back as well get forward. 

I can understand why he brought Whittaker on, but for me it was only the wrong sub because MW didn't do the job he was supposed to.

44 minutes ago, jono said:

But you have to admire him making what must have been a hard decision. It was doing something and when it didn’t work, admitting your mistake, taking action to correct it.

it’s really tough on Morgan but he needs to learn from it. The team is bigger than a player or the manager. 

Cocu would have been slated to hell and back 

I also thought we could have been braver from the start today. With Shinnie out shuffle he could have shuffled Knight slightly back and then had a more attacking option in Sibley/Waghorn on from the start. 

Bird is a neat and tidy player but is too cautious/risk averse when we’re desperately struggling for goals.

Another clean sheet tho which I guess is a positive. 

9 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

LR has come out and said ibes ready so why not?

how can he possibly be ready. He’s played 45 minutes in the u23s about a month ago.

44 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I agree with this. It's as if Rooney had a plan to put Waghorn on in the second half and when Lawrence got injured early, he didn't want to deviate from his plan.

That’s exactly what I thought when he brought Morgan W on 

FWIW it’s a good thing that the defensive set-up that was so weirdly refreshing a few weeks ago has now started to limit us. It’s suggests to me that we’ve sorted out our fundamentals, regained confidence and are ready for the next step.

This is where Rooney can get himself this job. He seems to have an undetermined window of time to prove himself and he’s already taken us from being embarrassing to steady. If he can solve the goal drought and get us somewhere near to what we thought we could be at the start of the season then he’ll have my backing at least.

But it’s worth bearing in mind that a lot of the forum (yes there were people who didn’t rate us, no need to quote me, congrats on your pessimism) completely misinterpreted how good this group of players were. I know for a fact I expected way too much too soon of Bird and Sibley, the talk (partly aided by Rooney) that Bird was some England player in waiting was way out of line.

This could take time but the focus now should be on learning how to create chances again.

Just now, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Wait......a free kick to Stoke was the right decision? ?

It was a drop ball... in their area.
If Rooney had insisted we challenge that drop ball... as we are entitled to, according to the rules... then I'm sure we would have.

Something, something, Sportsmanship, respect, something etc...

Frustrated by not taking a win when again the better side, which feels odd when 5 games unbeaten under Rooney from our rock bottom position. First half pretty bright, particularly with Lawrence before he started feeling his ankle. 

Brave substitution by Rooney to bring Whittaker on,  by then both Joswiak and Lawrence had shown Stoke struggling for pace - so you can see why he did it. (And why he bravely took him off again)

I do like CKR for his attitude and instincts, and we knew he wasn’t a goalscorer from day 1 - so can’t really complain now. Think he’d be better with someone close to him (Stretton?) but Rooney’s at least got a formation that looks defensively secure (3 consecutive clean sheets is pretty rare and worthy of celebration)

Sibley’s shown little evidence this season of being the ‘10’ we need but still feels a better fit there than Knight or Lawrence or Holmes. To me, a midfield 3 of Knight, Sibley, Bielik feels the best balance (if a little unfair on Shinnie) 

Not quite clicking for Joswiak today but what a player he could become. 

And maybe we’ll finally win a penalty call in midweek

30 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Mate just watch the clips and look at him when he signed for Bournemouth, there is a massive difference.  It's not the lads fault.  Rooney has been over weight since coming back from lockdown.  Thats not my point though.  You cannot expect someone that has not played for 15 plus months to play 2/3 of the game.  It is naive to say the least. 

For me, he should have brought Sibley on.  

47 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

Was it on target? Or close?

I suppose I’d better look at the highlights but for me both were on target, the goalie did a great job and to address the poster I replied to ... we looked like scoring from those two.

No agenda here .. we are short of fire power / creativity - can’t deny that, but there are signs and we looked more dangerous than 5 weeks ago 

25 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

It was clear it was the wrong sub after the event, however at the time he brought him on to do a job, he then rectified it by bringing him off. I'm not sure Ibe has 45 minutes in him when you  are wanting your wingers to track back as well get forward. 

I can understand why he brought Whittaker on, but for me it was only the wrong sub because MW didn't do the job he was supposed to.

Yes he rectified it because he realised that he made a mistake by bring whittaker on, it would of been a perfect time for ibe play 15mins have 15mins rest then even if he lasted 30 in second half! He's been training for months I'm pretty sure he can play 45mins if not the coaches need sacking because what are they achually doing in training 

Archived