v Stoke City (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

1 hour ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

I didn't say 2/3 of the game I said bring him on and take him off if you have too, 15mins in the first half have the half time and if he can last 30mins 2nd half then it is what it is if he can't play 45mins in a game what the hell do they do in training? He's been training for months! 

Listen to Rooney post match, then you’ll understand ?

Ps when you say training for months, apart froM the strain that he had then the illness to?

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Well, I never knew that!  Cheers.  ?

...Although... this now leaves me confused...

Dropped ball

PROCEDURE

The ball is dropped for the defending team goalkeeper in their penalty area if, when play was stopped:

the ball was in the penalty area or

the last touch of the ball was in the penalty area

In all other cases, the referee drops the ball for one player of the team that last touched the ball at the position where it last touched a player, an outside agent or, as outlined in Law 9.1, a match official

All other players (of both teams) must remain at least 4 m (4.5 yds) from the ball until it is in play

The ball is in play when it touches the ground.

Any number of players may contest a dropped ball (including the goalkeepers); the referee cannot decide who may contest a dropped ball or its outcome.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-8---the-start-and-restart-of-play

Am I right it all refers to inside the area (18yrd box) apart from the last sentence (which I have underlined)?  Can it still be contested outside the area?  That's how I am reading it?

I appreciate that, in relation to today's example (inside the area), I've still learned something, so still stood to be corrected on my initial post.  ??

The ball is dropped to one player, regardless of where on the pitch the action is, unless it's in the penalty box when the keeper must always play it.

You can contest a drop ball, but must do so from four metres away.

In other words, once the ball hits the ground it's live, opponents can challenge you, you can't control it and run unchallenged through an opponent, or indeed stand with your foot on the ball and pick a pass at leisure.

5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

One of the bizarrest decisions I’ve ever seen...possible penalty, blows whistle, points the opposite way, lectures 5 players, then gives an un-contested drop-ball to the keeper. A ref who blew his whistle for the lamest treason and gave endless free-kicks when no actual contact between players. Really earned the ear-bashing that Wazza gave him on 95th minute. Shockingly poor referee. 

He blew for a dive then realised he made a mistake thank god because that would have been a second booking. Only way out was an uncontested drop ball.  

2 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

Listen to Rooney post match, then you’ll understand ?

Ps when you say training for months, apart froM the strain that he had then the illness to?

I understand Rooney made a wrong decision and he tried to put it right! Yes ino about his illness iv said about this but if he's only fit enough for 5mins today why have him on the bench for the last 3 games? 

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

One of the bizarrest decisions I’ve ever seen...possible penalty, blows whistle, points the opposite way, lectures 5 players, then gives an un-contested drop-ball to the keeper. A ref who blew his whistle for the lamest treason and gave endless free-kicks when no actual contact between players. Really earned the ear-bashing that Wazza gave him on 95th minute. Shockingly poor referee. 

It wasn't a penalty, neither was it a dive.

I think the ref blew almost on instinct, then realised no infringement had taken place so called a drop ball, due to his error.

I'll take a drop ball over him covering his arse by brandishing an undeserved second yellow, which some refs would have done.

It would just be nice if he could explain that post match.

12 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Was he lecturing them or just explaining what he was doing? I can’t remember. Apart from that incident the officials didn’t strike me as particularly bad.

6 minutes ago, Rev said:

I think the ref blew almost on instinct, then realised no infringement had taken place so called a drop ball, due to his error.

I'll take a drop ball over him covering his arse by brandishing an undeserved second yellow, which some refs would have done.

Possibly or he realised he had a big call to make when he realised he had already booked the player. My guess is that had he not already been booked, a first yellow card would have been brandished, however some kudos to him for being brave in the end and reversing his decision.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Was he lecturing them or just explaining what he was doing? I can’t remember. Apart from that incident the officials didn’t strike me as particularly bad.

They got a lot of soft free kicks but wasn't consistent with awarding them to us for similar incidents. Failed to give a Stoke player a yellow card when they brought Sibley down when we were breaking after booking Bielik for a similar foul. 

3 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Possibly or he realised he had a big call to make when he realised he had already booked the player. My guess is that had he not already been booked, a first yellow card would have been brandished, however some kudos to him for being brave in the end and reversing his decision.

Was he blowing for a dive? I think he blew for a penalty. 

15 minutes ago, Rev said:

Should’ve been a goal kick then.

10 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Did it really merit a 10 minute discussion/explanation? Good refs are not seen...

3 hours ago, ossieram said:

Plenty off effort, but we really need to start seeing an end product now.

As for the ref! I reckon he blew for the penalty and realised it was Derby and they are not supposed to give us decisions, so changed his mind, then realised he would have to send Buchanan off and thought that even he couldn't screw us over by that much and came up with some rooster and bull decision.

I am so close to agreeing with you here. These discussions are getting ridiculous now! 

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

Pretty sure it's still going to knock his confidence even if Rooney talks to him. What player of ours did offer attacking threat? Maybe if some of the players around him got into more space it'd actually aid attacking play and link up? 

Maybe ... maybe he’s not good enough ... yet 

I’m fine with a manager realising something isn’t right and changing it

whitiker has shown glimpses of real quality, but in the situation we’re in I question if glimpses of ability are what we should be throwing on instead of the likes of the more established, Waggy, Ibe and dare I say it sibley 

let’s be honest we all raised an eyebrow when it was whitiker coming on ... and by the looks of his showing today we were right to question it 

no writing the kid off... far from it 

he’s just got to do a bit more to his all round game 

Whittaker deserved being subbed. 

That 5 to 7 minute period at the start of the second half, he made 5 errors. Switched off tracking runners twice, failed to clear it when he had the chance, gave a way a needless free Kick and failed to block a cross at the goal line. 

Took the wind right out of us and they start getting joy down our left. 

Lawrence like performance from 5 games a go. 

Pity Lawrence got injured today, looked more like himself. 

34 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Should’ve been a goal kick then.

I think he just had a brain fart. 

He knew he'd seen something, blew the whistle then his mind caught up with his vision. As @BIllyD said, if Lee hadn't been booked he probably would have flashed a yellow to save face.

That he didn't double down on his error and send Buchanan off was to his credit, imo.

8 minutes ago, Rev said:

I think he just had a brain fart. 

He knew he'd seen something, blew the whistle then his mind caught up with his vision. As @BIllyD said, if Lee hadn't been booked he probably would have flashed a yellow to save face.

That he didn't double down on his error and send Buchanan off was to his credit, imo.

So. Goal-kick then. Ref who got basics wrong. He’s miked up to 3 other officials. Yet the bloke chose to hold a seminar for 5 minutes ?‍♂️. Good refs go unseen. 

Archived