v Stoke City (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

5 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

honestly don't think a goalscorer will change that much as we just aren't creating enough. We desperately need creativity. 

I look back at Lampards season and he played Dave Nugent up front for the first 6 months of the season. We didn't struggle scoring goals because we had the creativity. 

Don't think the 4-2-3-1 helps as it's quite defensive but on the other hand it's important we don't lose anymore games. 

We are creating enough to win games, countless corners, 11 shots and plenty of crosses into the box. Problem is we don't have a player who thrives in the box, someone who knows them places to be. 

The positive though is that once again we haven't conceded and didn't really look like we were going to. 

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

A point is always welcome but it's deffo 3 dropped. 

Started off too negatively in midfield, didn't need Bird in there with Beilik against a team that were always going to sit back and defend. Should play the 4-3-3 in games like today where we need extra bodies breaking through the lines. 

Some decent build up play but no real threat/cutting edge as usual due to insisting on playing two deep lying midfielders when we don't really need them.

So an o.k result and performance but could have been more!

2 surely? ?

1 minute ago, Chris_Martin said:

yeah that's my point. We need the creativity and speed of play, not a new striker.

I've the same view. We could have ronaldo up front and still not score. We just dont create anything and for all his efforts, I hate to see jason knight at 10. The starting 11 is just too defensive/safe.

Another 2 points thrown away. Stoke were poor but are also injury-hit. To dominate a match like that, not score & have so few chances is just criminal. Other than being slightly better at the back & a willingness to go long a bit more often, I'm struggling to identify the difference between Derby now & Derby under Cocu earlier this season.

The final third is becoming a real psychological barrier for us, quite apart from physical CBs & compliant referees. As others have mentioned, we are insistent on slowing the play down & taking too many touches. At other times, its just poor decision making or a poor touch at a crucial time. We have decent attacking options on paper but there's a total lack of conviction in execution. There's also very little interplay or understanding between the front players (other than Kazim trying to bring others into play) - it looks a disjointed mess. 

Positives - 3rd clean sheet in a row (even though they barely threatened), Kazim was very good again & desperately unlucky not to score first half and Bielik/Bird combination secured almost total domination in midfield. Knight also worked unbelievably hard, even by his standards.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

So like all of the rest of our attackers he did nothing. You think one of our players coming up changes the entire game? ??

Yes, we are reliant on our wide player, you could see the game plan from the start. If he isn't doing what he is told and is playing dreadful, what would you have done left him on and potentially lost the game ?

Just now, BIllyD said:

Yes, we are reliant on our wide player, you could see the game plan from the start. If he isn't doing what he is told and is playing dreadful, what would you have done left him on and potentially lost the game ?

I'd have left him on absolutely.

4 hours ago, DesertRam said:

RMF,  you are ITK,  for gods sake what's happened to MTW ????

He could theoretically solve our defensive problem with a few games under his belt!!!

Nothing wrong with Wiz and Clarke - they make a decent pair. For some reason Clarke gets nervous around Davies, maybe he defers to him and hesitates? Wiz is no fullback and looks better at CH.

2 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

We are creating enough to win games, countless corners, 11 shots and plenty of crosses into the box. Problem is we don't have a player who thrives in the box, someone who knows them places to be. 

The positive though is that once again we haven't conceded and didn't really look like we were going to. 

maybe if your hoping for a 1-0 win but we should be wanting to win by 2,3,or 4 goals. And 11 shots at home is actually not that good, should be looking for double that.

1 minute ago, Patrick Rams said:

Sorry..I haven't seen the incident...What was his mistake and how exactly did he admit it?

His mistake was to think Buchanan dived when he didn't. If he'd stuck with his original decision Buchanan would have been sent off.

He admitted it by, instead of giving a free kick to Stoke, he gave a drop ball.

That's my theory anyway.

The alternative view is that he chickened out of sending Buchanan off. 

7 minutes ago, wollatonram said:

they shouldnt be involved anyway, half the academy players are not good enough for championship football. 

Buchanan and Knight have been arguably our best players this season. Bird was revolutionary last year and Sibley was phenomenal when he came into the team last year. 

The academy is where the actual talent lies for the mos part in the squad.

2 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

maybe if your hoping for a 1-0 win but we should be wanting to win by 2,3,or 4 goals. And 11 shots at home is actually not that good, should be looking for double that.

You do know you get the same number of points for 1-0 as opposed to 5-0 don't you ??

Archived