Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rooney wasn't appointed because of his tactical awareness and how he builds a squad over time. 

He was appointed because Cocu seemed to have the players over-thinking, negative and.... well, just because he's Wayne Rooney. So the players would respect him and want to perform for him.

They expected a bounce that would get us through to the next manager ..I feared a big enough bounce would be enough to get him the job long term. 

There has been a tiny bounce, but results have not significantly improved and performances have been relatively similar. 

Be suicide to keep him. Need a fresh broom in ASAP. 

Think as many have said before I post this, you can’t cut your teeth as a manager being  bottom of the championship.

His game management from the outside was shocking last night. Could see Lawrence was struggling even before the 60th minute mark. Still don’t get Knight being on the wing, it’s beyond me. I don’t rate Bird, personal opinion. Bielik had been out for over a year and was the best player on that pitch for me. 

Please get someone in Derby, just short term if wanted. 

Rooney was great when he first started playing for us. After lockdown he was abysmal and his attitude stunk - regularly giving the ball away and standing watching as the opposition popped it into the net.

We won’t know until @HuddersRam writes his next book but to me he looks like he has downed tools and been complicit in helping Cocu get the sack, not necessarily through his actions but certainly through his inaction, which is a job Cocu could probably have managed unaided. 

Since then it has all been about him and his new toy - presumably his new watch has lost its glimmer - and his go at playing a live 3D football manager simulation game. If it isn’t successful it doesn’t matter, he can pop off elsewhere.

All this is exacerbated by the media circus and the prevailing attitude that whether he makes a good manager is more important than Derby County. 

Well it isn’t. Please leave and let us get a proper football manager who might be able to save us through the use of motivation, discipline, fitness and tactical awareness.

I won’t start on the deafening silence from the top, whether that be about season ticket refunds, a new manager or the takeover. The chummy little pub chats seem a long way away. 

All a bit depressing isn’t it! Anyway, that’s a NO from me then! 

6 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

My teenage son said at the weekend ... Rooney is the manager to take us forward!

My son reckons that his presence has resulted in other players upping their game, being inspired by his skill and ability.

He thinks that Rooney has the skills to motivate the players.

(At the moment ... having confident players ... leading to goals and results ... is more important than brilliant tactics. Also, Rooney has a lot to gain from achieving success. Who knows if he has the skill to manage a football club in the long-term - of if he can understand how Championship level players play - but he certainly knows a lot about playing well and putting in effort - and with a team at the bottom of the league, that's probably more important than anything.)

I take it your son doesn’t watch Derby very often then ?

Seriously though, I think he’ll get the job and hope he does really well but, whilst he is (was) a highly talented player does he know enough about motivating other players and inspiring confidence? He has never managed a team of players before (that doesn’t mean he can’t do it. Every manager has to start somewhere) and, I suspect, has never been in such a dire situation as we’re in now. 

My best guess is that, whoever is appointed (probably Rooney but he probably needs a couple of wins very very soon), we’ll continue to tread water (or rather continue to sink) until the next transfer window and we somehow manage to pick up a decent striker or two (it’s probably too much to ask/expect of the youngsters). Sadly, he/they probably won’t be quite good enough to make sufficient impact in the number of games left. 

That’s what my head says.

My heart says we’ll win a few games between now and the new year which means we’ll just about stay in touch. We’ll pick up a bargain or two in January (maybe a loan or two) and Ibe will return at his best. We’ll put together a reasonable run and escape by the skin of our teeth. But, I’ve never trusted my heart.

He will get the gig. Just have to hope he gets a decent experienced number two who will get in his ear on the touchline (no, not McClaren). His substitution thinking last night showed his naivety but there were signs last night, and against Wycombe, that he understands we need to be more direct, get the ball in the box quicker, and use horses for courses.  Voter fraud concerns prevent me from ticking any box.

If he was appointed at the start or an end of the season then I could get on board with him being given a chance - there’s been an uplift in performances certainly compared to QPR, Barnsley, and Middlesbrough, but he has showed naivety in both games. That would be fine if we were in a position where him learning on the job is a good thing but not really sure we can afford that. 

I think my ideal scenario would be an experienced short term manager installed, with Rooney working with them as a full time coach, not as primarily a player but sometimes a coach or any such rubbish. If at the end of the season we feel that Rooney is ready, hire him then. If not, he comes to the end of his contract and it is up to him if he stays working as a coach or goes elsewhere for his first stab at management. Can’t imagine he’d be short of offers

23 minutes ago, nottingram said:

If he was appointed at the start or an end of the season then I could get on board with him being given a chance - there’s been an uplift in performances certainly compared to QPR, Barnsley, and Middlesbrough, but he has showed naivety in both games. That would be fine if we were in a position where him learning on the job is a good thing but not really sure we can afford that. 

I think my ideal scenario would be an experienced short term manager installed, with Rooney working with them as a full time coach, not as primarily a player but sometimes a coach or any such rubbish. If at the end of the season we feel that Rooney is ready, hire him then. If not, he comes to the end of his contract and it is up to him if he stays working as a coach or goes elsewhere for his first stab at management. Can’t imagine he’d be short of offers

This - I think we've got ourselves into a bit of a hole with Rooney to be honest. He wasn't very good as a player post-lockdown and also now hasn't even trained for the last few games (so will likely be even loss mobile). He won't be happy working alongside someone like Paul Cook I imagine, so it would either have to be a big name coach which he looks up to and thinks he can learn from, or he gets the gig himself.

FWIW I feel that the performances have massively improved over the last two games and missing sitters to kill games off has cost us in both of the last two. The next few games will be a judge of whether the team has actually turned a corner (unbeaten in two and scored in both), or whether it was just because we were playing teams as poor as us.

5 minutes ago, r_wilcockson said:

This - I think we've got ourselves into a bit of a hole with Rooney to be honest. He wasn't very good as a player post-lockdown and also now hasn't even trained for the last few games (so will likely be even loss mobile). He won't be happy working alongside someone like Paul Cook I imagine, so it would either have to be a big name coach which he looks up to and thinks he can learn from, or he gets the gig himself.

FWIW I feel that the performances have massively improved over the last two games and missing sitters to kill games off has cost us in both of the last two. The next few games will be a judge of whether the team has actually turned a corner (unbeaten in two and scored in both), or whether it was just because we were playing teams as poor as us.

I agree but we should not be hiring a manager simply to placate one individual who doesn’t care about the club beyond checking his bank balance at the end of the month. If Paul Cook is the best man for the job, hire him, and Rooney will have to get on with it either as a coach or as a player who has to earn his place in the starting line up, or he is free to walk away from his contract.

We have actually improved in his very short term to be fair, last night we had a strong second half for the first time in a long time but the equaliser is just what happens when you are low on confidence struggling. I think he could make a decent manager but not a gamble I want to take right now.

No for me.

I have hated being ‘Wayne Rooney’s Derby County’ and I will hate continuing to be this.

He isn’t about the team, it’s a vanity project. You can’t just have a punt at management at this level. Feel free to go to Salford with the Class of 92 and have a play. But please just let our club rebuild and get through this stage we’re at.

There are a lot of games between now and January but I do hope we get a few loan players especially a striker who can hold the ball up and be strong up top. 

I think Rooney has done OK in the last two games - there are signs that he might make a good manager one day. The problem is that we just can't afford OK. We need our manager to be very good from now till the end of the season or we'll go down. As others have said, wrong time for Rooney.

Rooney himself will have learnt a lot in the last couple of weeks though - mainly that 48 hours means something different in Derby than the rest of the world.

I am sure Rooney is trying is very best at club but is he equipped to be able to do the job? 

Well 

1. He has only ever really played at a 'high' level and therefore as not really encountered the situation (lower reaches of Championship)were in now.

2. He has never coached nor managed a football club until now 

3. He has never put under the intense pressure of managing a BIG club in the position were in now.

4. Has he tactical knowledge, nonce, and ability to motivate inspire and lead a whole club. 

5. Can he work under the intense spotlight of the media and fans when things are not going well.

6. Can he prove to both Mel and 'The Sheikh' he is the RIGHT  man for the job LONG term.

These are questions only Rooney himself and the owners can answer.

1 minute ago, harwich ram said:

No I think alot of our problems are down to him he's on to much money the other players know this so can't sit right then he's now acting manager without the qualifications and was part of the cocu team 

If our squad is full of players who can't deal with that it's no wonder we're bottom, is it!

Archived