Rooney is the new Savage

tinman

Just now, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Bet you would not say that if you were standing next to him.

I can understand the disappointment (anger even) on here but there is a lot of Twitter esq. vitriol around which I find a little distasteful.

Agreed.

Rooney had a poor game last night, very poor game. But he wasn't the only one. It was an embarrassing performance given the position we are in.

But, coming on this morning the scapegoating has begun once again, no real discussions to be had, just a bunch of finger pointing and borderline insults. 

Comparing Rooney with Savage? I mean seriously? Very short memories, Rooney's introduction to the team last season was key to us going from nowhere to one eye on the play offs. Admittedly his form has been nowhere near the same this season, but yet again it's the fans trying to turn this into the Wayne Rooney show.

It's ok to not want him as manager, it's ok to not want him in the team or at the club, right now very few in my opinion are showing they deserve to be at the club.

But Toxic, stain on the club, these are just ridiculous comments really and have no basis at all, it's just nothing but pure frustration and anger being smashed out on keyboards at this point. 

I would say some need to take a look at themselves in the mirror before accusing others of being toxic at the club.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, David said:

Agreed.

Rooney had a poor game last night, very poor game. But he wasn't the only one. It was an embarrassing performance given the position we are in.

But, coming on this morning the scapegoating has begun once again, no real discussions to be had, just a bunch of finger pointing and borderline insults. 

Comparing Rooney with Savage? I mean seriously? Very short memories, Rooney's introduction to the team last season was key to us going from nowhere to one eye on the play offs. Admittedly his form has been nowhere near the same this season, but yet again it's the fans trying to turn this into the Wayne Rooney show.

It's ok to not want him as manager, it's ok to not want him in the team or at the club, right now very few in my opinion are showing they deserve to be at the club.

But Toxic, stain on the club, these are just ridiculous comments really and have no basis at all, it's just nothing but pure frustration and anger being smashed out on keyboards at this point. 

I would say some need to take a look at themselves in the mirror before accusing others of being toxic at the club.

Rooney's profile means he will get more attention and there are some posters who have it in for him.  If he was the one not Sibbo to miss the (challenging) 1v1 in the second half people would be screaming about it.  Truthfully though there is little that can be said to defend him but as you say there are many in that position shoulder to shoulder with him.  The team has lost all faith because they are convinced that the only certainty at the end of the game is Derby nil

Maybe we are scapegoating him. But we used a special clause with our sponsor to fund Rooney. He is meant to be our advantage.

He said things would change in his press conference, 2nd game in, as bad as it gets so far this season. For a player of his reputation and supposed calibre to be having no positive impact is alarming. If you are going to be critical of your former boss you have to show you were right. He hasn't. 

Why if he wants to be manager is he playing the full 90? 

I am sorry that I can't respect his role currently but I believe his signing whilst starting well has set in motion a long trip down. Nothing will change because 'It's Wayne Rooney'.

I don't see motivation, I don't see desire. I see a player in the dying embers of his career going through the motions. You cannot lead in that position. 

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

Rooney's profile means he will get more attention and there are some posters who have it in for him.  If he was the one not Sibbo to miss the (challenging) 1v1 in the second half people would be screaming about it.  Truthfully though there is little that can be said to defend him but as you say there are many in that position shoulder to shoulder with him.  The team has lost all faith because they are convinced that the only certainty at the end of the game is Derby nil

You're probably right, I think it was @Mostyn6 that commented the other day he wasn't being judged the same as other players due to his status. Every week now it's the Wayne Rooney show and that's not the media, that's us, the fans making it so.

Never hidden the fact I'm one of Rooney's biggest fans, on a Zoom call with @Srg last night whilst watching the game even mockingly made a note of the time and date I commented that he was the worst player on the pitch tonight, which he was although improved slightly in the second half.

Absolutely no getting away from him having a poor game last night, pretty sure he would admit that himself. Why not sub himself off? To me it looks like he hands over all management to Rosenior during the game. Sure he could request to come off, but what player ever does that unless they are injured?

26 minutes ago, David said:

Agreed.

But Rooney was the only one who played the full game

2 minutes ago, David said:

You're probably right, I think it was @Mostyn6 that commented the other day he wasn't being judged the same as other players due to his status. Every week now it's the Wayne Rooney show and that's not the media, that's us, the fans making it so.

Never hidden the fact I'm one of Rooney's biggest fans, on a Zoom call with @Srg last night whilst watching the game even mockingly made a note of the time and date I commented that he was the worst player on the pitch tonight, which he was although improved slightly in the second half.

Absolutely no getting away from him having a poor game last night, pretty sure he would admit that himself. Why not sub himself off? To me it looks like he hands over all management to Rosenior during the game. Sure he could request to come off, but what player ever does that unless they are injured?

sorry I can't recall the OP  but he suggested the possibility that he is forced to play under the sponsorship agreement, interesting angle that I hadn't thought of.  Needs to slip in the bath and excuse himself

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

sorry I can't recall the OP  but he suggested the possibility that he is forced to play under the sponsorship agreement, interesting angle that I hadn't thought of.  Needs to slip in the bath and excuse himself

32Red categorically denied that there were any clauses like this in Rooney's deal, as reported by Ryan Conway! ?

10 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Maybe we are scapegoating him. But we used a special clause with our sponsor to fund Rooney. He is meant to be our advantage.

He said things would change in his press conference, 2nd game in, as bad as it gets so far this season. For a player of his reputation and supposed calibre to be having no positive impact is alarming. If you are going to be critical of your former boss you have to show you were right. He hasn't. 

Why if he wants to be manager is he playing the full 90? 

I am sorry that I can't respect his role currently but I believe his signing whilst starting well has set in motion a long trip down. Nothing will change because 'It's Wayne Rooney'.

I don't see motivation, I don't see desire. I see a player in the dying embers of his career going through the motions. You cannot lead in that position. 

I suspect now that he contractually obliged to, if he plays saturday I think it's 100% contractual.

Only way out I can see for him is if he says he's injured. But i don't think he's the type of player to do that.

52 minutes ago, David said:

Agreed.

Not sure those comments are lashings of unadulterated frustration, more panic at how little responsibility Rooney seems to be taking:

Complete refusal to face the media in the face of adversity- red flag #1

No leadership on the pitch when he's technically part of a team that is picking himself, and not on merit- red flag #2

Part of a team that is demonstrating an appalling lack of tactical nous- red flag #3

Max Bird's comments absolutely stunk to me the other day about training being ''much better'', ''fun'' etc. Last night's performance showed that training doesn't have any tactical benefit, so i couldn't care less if they're having fun. Cocu may have been boring in training, but at least we showed organisation and were competitive in each game... We've actively regressed the last 2 games so it's a slap in the face to hear the players come out and say what a laugh it is when it's clearly impacting performances negatively.

Feels like it's a boys club at the minute, rife with egos and all thinking they're too good to be in the position they're in. Someone mentioned series 1 of Sunderland Til I Die last night and it's a scarily accurate comparison. 

I'd agree with a few others that this comparison is harsh on Savage. As captain of this football club Savage never had us propping up the rest of the division and he was working with players like Ben Pringle and Steve Davies, not multi million pound signings like Waghorn and Lawrence.

Yes, Rooney is held to higher standards than the rest of the squad. That's because he's paid far, far in excess of the rest of the squad.  "But, 32Red pay it, not us", I don't care who's picking up the tab. He's on money that suggests he should be the stand out performer every single game, he didn't quite reach those levels last season and this season he's a million miles away. Clough told Savage he'd have to take a massive pay cut to stay on here. Savage did so and knuckled down. Does anyone seriously believe Rooney would make the same choice if it were asked of him?

There are a lot of players underperforming at the moment. However, the other ten players aren’t choosing themselves to play for 90 minutes.

I was gobsmacked watching Jozwiak and Buchanan get subbed off while Rooney crawled around the pitch. No surprise that we conceded soon after.

He is a player with far too much power. He regularly blames other players after he gives the ball away cheaply and he has never taken responsibility for where we are despite being coach and captain.

If he was serious about the managers job he would be on the sideline rather than collecting appearance bonuses.

When you’re a promising young player like Sibley for example and you see a big name, big earner like Rooney playing poorly yet playing every minute your going to be pretty pissed about it and wonder why the hell you have to do to get a chance!

That goes for all the other players to and as well as the defeats probably contributes to confidence going through the floor!

Similar to how we kept Cocu in his position, the worry for me is that there are key people behind the scenes who can’t see the Rooney situation for what it is.

Be it Rosenior, be it Mel, they are letting their fandom and admiration for Rooney and his status in the game colour their judgement.

Rooney is not the only one performing poorly. However the reason he is being singled out is because he is not being treated as equal to Lawrence, Waghorn or Jozwiak by anyone at the club.

We are a one man team and for all the wrong reasons. If you can’t see how we have pandered to Rooney’s every whim, every want and every need to the detriment of the team, then perhaps you’ll never see it, or not until it’s too late.

We haven’t treated Rooney like any other player. He hasn’t been made to earn the privileges he receives.

The salary that dwarfs that of all other players at the club. The captaincy upon arrival. The guaranteed starts irrespective of fitness or performance. The coaching role. The co-management role. Time away to take on the Soccer Aid gig. Which ordinary Championship players would get these privileges?

He has received all of this gold standard treatment based on his reputation. Because of the player he was, not because of the player he is.

Criticism is inevitable. The club are giving him the rock star treatment and getting a village band performance.

People had the nerve to compare him to Pablo Hernandez and say Rooney could have a similar impact at this level. It was a laughable comparison.

Maybe if Rooney got himself in shape, showed some application, showed some commitment and put the team first, people would be more appreciative.

Instead we have a player full of airs and graces, seemingly consumed by self interest and self preservation, and most concerning of all, only buying into what he thinks is best.

2 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Bet you would not say that if you were standing next to him.

I can understand the disappointment (anger even) on here but there is a lot of Twitter esq. vitriol around which I find a little distasteful.

I’m fuming mate, absolutely fuming at what I saw last night. I apologise if I over step the mark, but the players have to take a long hard look at how they’re representing this club. Letting everyone down at the moment.

Archived