Rooney is the new Savage

tinman

Robbie Savage came out to defend Nigel Clough and the squad in the infamous “I’ve heard rumours” spat with Colin Gibson. Wayne shys away from the awkward questions.

Rightly or wrongly the media have made it the Wayne Rooney show and others have pointed out he’s not pulling his weight. 

When a business is going boobs up it’s not the minions I.e Sibley, Holmes and Knight that get the chop it’s the higher level management. Rooney falls under this bracket. He’s on far too much money for what he’s bringing to the team and that is exaggerating the nightmare which we’re currently experiencing. 

Get him gone.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

32Red categorically denied that there were any clauses like this in Rooney's deal, as reported by Ryan Conway! ?

That's probably true, but it may also be the case their special sponsorship money doesn't come when he's not playing which may well be the influence that he plays 90 minutes every game. That is speculation on my part, not a fact. But the other alternative, is that the management think that's the best way to use him, which I don't find credible. 

3 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Not sure those comments are lashings of unadulterated frustration, more panic at how little responsibility Rooney seems to be taking:

Complete refusal to face the media in the face of adversity- red flag #1

No leadership on the pitch when he's technically part of a team that is picking himself, and not on merit- red flag #2

Part of a team that is demonstrating an appalling lack of tactical nous- red flag #3

Max Bird's comments absolutely stunk to me the other day about training being ''much better'', ''fun'' etc. Last night's performance showed that training doesn't have any tactical benefit, so i couldn't care less if they're having fun. Cocu may have been boring in training, but at least we showed organisation and were competitive in each game... We've actively regressed the last 2 games so it's a slap in the face to hear the players come out and say what a laugh it is when it's clearly impacting performances negatively.

Feels like it's a boys club at the minute, rife with egos and all thinking they're too good to be in the position they're in. Someone mentioned series 1 of Sunderland Til I Die last night and it's a scarily accurate comparison. 

I don't like the attitude. It comes across as zero respect for Cocu. If they won both games or at least showed improvement you could look past it. But things like the video of Davies and players getting excited over putting the ball through two players legs in training. To me that is sending out the complete wrong messgae given the teams current place. It all screams arrogance and we have no right to think that.

2 hours ago, BondJovi said:

I don't like the attitude. It comes across as zero respect for Cocu. If they won both games or at least showed improvement you could look past it. But things like the video of Davies and players getting excited over putting the ball through two players legs in training. To me that is sending out the complete wrong messgae given the teams current place. It all screams arrogance and we have no right to think that.

Think you're spot on re. attitude. Max Bird's interview reeked of arrogance. It's no surprise that the midfield combo that has proved most effective has been instantly dismantled because Rooney's pal Bird isn't involved- feel very sorry for Shinnie in that regard. 

Rosenior even said it directly ''we're trying to build a team with more confidence'', well i'm seeing confidence already, too much of it which is leading to complacency and a lack of willingness to do the basics. Lawrence looked like he was ready to turn a corner under Cocu, 2 matches later he's neatrly getting sent off for dissent- it's like the whole club has taken 2 steps backwards in the space of a week!

5 hours ago, Anon said:

I'd agree with a few others that this comparison is harsh on Savage. As captain of this football club Savage never had us propping up the rest of the division and he was working with players like Ben Pringle and Steve Davies, not multi million pound signings like Waghorn and Lawrence.

Yes, Rooney is held to higher standards than the rest of the squad. That's because he's paid far, far in excess of the rest of the squad.  "But, 32Red pay it, not us", I don't care who's picking up the tab. He's on money that suggests he should be the stand out performer every single game, he didn't quite reach those levels last season and this season he's a million miles away. Clough told Savage he'd have to take a massive pay cut to stay on here. Savage did so and knuckled down. Does anyone seriously believe Rooney would make the same choice if it were asked of him?

Excuse me while I imagine the prospect of Wayne Rooney playing under Nigel Clough.

5 hours ago, Ramarena said:

When you’re a promising young player like Sibley for example and you see a big name, big earner like Rooney playing poorly yet playing every minute your going to be pretty pissed about it and wonder why the hell you have to do to get a chance!

That goes for all the other players to and as well as the defeats probably contributes to confidence going through the floor!

This.

I'm not going to call him toxic or poisonous, because I have no idea what he's been like behind the scenes. 

But there's absolutely no way Rooney should be starting at the minute. 

It was even worse when we took Waghorn off at half time and stuck Rooney up top last night. That reeks of Rooney not having the humility to take himself off and the co-managers not having the balls to tell him to come off. Or, failing that, tactical ineptitude on the part of whoever made the decision. Take your pick.

Well harsh on Savage. He was past his best but he always tried & gave 100%. When he was dropped he held his hands up. He got back in the side and he won over a few fans. In the end i actually liked Savage. Dont get me wrong i think he's a clown but a likeable one. In the end i think he enjoyed his time here. 

Archived