Return of the Mac

rynny

Don’t really understand the concern over Rooney being manager. It’s a complete lottery whoever we get and most don’t last very long anyway, so if he’s rubbish he’ll get the boot and if he’s good he’ll bugger off somewhere else like Lampard and Rowett.  
Basically, it’s a case of who cares!!

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

Top things on the to do list

Get us a striker!

Some decent goal scoring wide players on loan also wouldn’t go amiss

spend some time coaching the youngsters like Whittaker, JHI, Knight and Sibbo to get in the opposition’s box beyond the front man as much as possible 

And to bring back Hughes. 

4 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I'm struggling with this one. I'd be happy with him as a manager - he would deliver a short term boost which we sorely need.

The problem is that once the short term boost dissipates, he has no idea how to drive things forward. That suggests he lacks strategic thinking - which is exactly what this role seems to be about.

I'm pretty sure this means that Rooney, Terry or Rosenior are going to be our next head coach. Any one of them could turn out to be brilliant, but it's an enormous risk in our current situation.

It's 'win-win' for me. 

Each time we sack the manager, we move Mac into the hot seat. In a few years, we'll have a higher Mac(h) number than Gillette.

WEIRD AF!

As far as I'm aware, a Technical Director is basically a DoF, but with a bit more say on the coaching rather than the squad building.

This is likely because we are looking to hire an inexperienced manager (Rooney, Terry, Rosenior) or hopefully - compared to those 3 choices - someone who is unfamiliar with the Championship and will need some guidance.

It's a bit like a better version of what Rosenior was meant to be doing with Cocu I guess.

I like McClaren, I think this is a very short term appointment though, but I hope it means that we have an exciting first team coach lined up that isn't Rooney, Terry or Rosenior as that is too much of a gamble for the new board, in my opinion.

Just now, LazloW said:

Don’t really understand the concern over Rooney being manager. It’s a complete lottery whoever we get and most don’t last very long anyway, so if he’s rubbish he’ll get the boot and if he’s good he’ll bugger off somewhere else like Lampard and Rowett.  
Basically, it’s a case of who cares!!

Because if he’s not very good we’ll be in league 1 next season. You’re right in that all appointments are a risk but I’d rather go for someone a bit more tried and tested in the situation we find ourselves in.

Rather Terry myself if it’s between the two. 

People saying McClaren is a good coach but not manager.... er.... clowns ? ?

99.9999999999% of managers in the history of the game win 0 silverware trophies. Mac has won silverware. 

Reality check is that you can put a diamond studded golden saddle on a donkey, it’s still a donkey, not a thoroughbred horse! 

Derby are the donkey.  

Personally, I hope he’s overseeing first team affairs until the end of the season. He knows and has proven three times, that he brings feelgood and effective coaching to the club. 

2 minutes ago, roboto said:

I like McClaren, I think this is a very short term appointment though, but I hope it means that we have an exciting first team coach lined up that isn't Rooney, Terry or Rosenior as that is too much of a gamble for the new board, in my opinion.

I'd hope the nature of appointing a technical director is that it's with a view for the long term of the club, beyond the incumbent manager.

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

People saying McClaren is a good coach but not manager.... er.... clowns ? ?

99.9999999999% of managers in the history of the game win 0 silverware trophies. Mac has won silverware. 

Reality check is that you can put a diamond studded golden saddle on a donkey, it’s still a donkey, not a thoroughbred horse! 

Derby are the donkey.  

Personally, I hope he’s overseeing first team affairs until the end of the season. He knows and has proven three times, that he brings feelgood and effective coaching to the club. 

Cocu was a good manager then was he?

I'll wait to see if its confirmed and what his actual role is - but if its long term Technical Director I'd be very happy ?

EDIT: Just read the link a few posts above from @Nuwtfly...

The permanent status of the Technical Director role will be subject to ratification by Derventio Holdings’ board following completion of the club acquisition.

Excellent news!

Archived