Return of the Mac

rynny

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our club is getting more bizarre by the minute ??‍♂️,

we need a manager , we have 4 who’s in charge heads ?and now we add a 5th ????,, too many cooks ? We gonna have more cooks the catering corp at this rate ,,,, ffs if they think he’s the man to turn us round then just appoint him as manager and have done ,,,, I’m at a loss now beginning to think Morris has been abducted by aliens in the recent past and his head tampered with

Hi Steve it's Mel. Just calling to ask if you'd be interested in getting fired?

What?

Hired?

But you said- 

Hired. Hired as a technical director

OK, what's the money like?

Unreliable

And the length of contract?

Potentially short with the possibility of long.

I'm in.

15 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Interesting line in the Derby statement 

“The permanent status of the Technical Director role will be subject to ratification by Derventio Holdings’ board following completion of the club acquisition.”

Sounds like it could be temporary or the new board will want the option to appoint someone else 

Nah, I think that just means the cats out of the bag so we're announcing it but of course the club is about to be sold so the incomers need to reaffirm the position.

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That's how I read it .  He's here to help with recruitment/picking a manager and to help (take over)  the coaching in the meantime.  As a reward he'll have a nice job for a year ( if this takeover ever gets done)watching matches for free on a juicy contract.

So you reckon he'll technically be in charge in terms of coaching and managing too, steady the ship, and then when the manager is chosen, he'll row back his duties to purely the technical director? 

I’m confused on this.

Mac coming back to this club only makes sense in two ways: 1) As manager or 2) As a clear number two to a number one.

Back in as a Technical Director - what the hell does this mean. It’s obviously early days but he’s a football man, not a business man. I can see interference from him in the playing team. Mac is a coach, a damn good one and we’ve employed in a role not to be a ..... coach.

I just find this weird. Everyone in the club will be wondering what his job is. On the training ground do you listen to Mac or do you listen to the manager? What if the manager reports into Mac?

Yes we need to let it pan out but first and foremost to me - get your manager in and then get your CEO in. Between them, they build the structure of the club and if the manager says “I want a director of football to oversea all aspects of the club” then great. However if Mac gets out on the coaching field, then he’s being a coach, not a Technical Director.

I like him, I wouldn’t object to him as manager, I wouldn’t object as a number two but in this role, nah, not for me.

1 minute ago, Uptherams said:

So you reckon he'll technically be in charge in terms of coaching and managing too, steady the ship, and then when the manager is chosen, he'll row back his duties to purely the technical director? 

That's what I think.  Could be good as long he stamps his authority.  Always struck me a bit of a sycophant to be honest, so he might have an issue with our Wayne and telling him what to do.  On the plus side the same traits mean other bosses seem keen to let there youngsters come here and he has lots of connections going forward if he can steady the ship.

This can only be a good thing. Technical directors who know the clubs through and through can keep things in check to make sure we don't sway in the wrong direction.

Look at Petr Cech at Chelsea. He's been fundamental to Lampards ability to sign top players, as he's been backing him behind the scenes at board level when it comes time to talk to the people in charge with the money. Ziyech, Havertz, Werner etc have been perfect fits so far.

Compare that to Manchester United, who have no technical director or Director of Football and it means the board splurge money at fading stars or Hollywood purchases who won't work out in an effort to keep stock prices up.

This allows Derby to have a consistent, long-term approach to identifying profiles of players and defining playstyles, which will outlast managers and footballers, so we're not going through the churn we have had before (Clement / Rowett / Pearson etc). Yes there will be occasions where managers will butt heads with Mac, but you can guarantee that Steve will have the best interest of the club in mind.

4 inexperienced wannabe managers and now Mac back ...not where he’s at his best coaching but as an advisor ...cannot see a proper decent manager liking this sort of interference ...we seem to add to the mess not clear it up ...it must be pantomime season ?

Is McClaren essentially going to be head coach for the short to medium term? Tell all the other coaches from the first team to academy what the philosophy and approach will be. They are then responsible for enacting it, including LR and WR with the first team. ??

At the same time begin the process of recruiting players and help develop our talent? 

On the plus side, the most entertaining football in recent years was under Mac (far better than the dirge we are stomaching now) and I expect Mel has fond memories of it. 

On the negative side, we can say bye bye to having an experienced manager such as Howe or Rafa. It’ll be a rookie to work under Mac’s wing like Terry. 

Archived