Return of the Mac

rynny

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted it in another thread but is it not the case that McClaren’s skill set very much lies in terms of coaching and it is in the administrative side where he has perhaps fallen down in the past? 

If he stays on as a DOF type after the manager is appointed then I am not 100% on whether that’s his best role? 

I am all for the DOF model but just a bit sceptical on him as the right man to fulfil it. But obviously I do hope he does really well and it is good to see him back in some capacity.

I think McClaren is a brilliant coach.

Not so good as an out and out manager. So I am afraid of him in a Director of Football role. Didn't he do something similar - and fail - in Scotland?

More than likely, it does now mean that Rooney will be the manager.

I will support the club - as ever - but it will surprise me if we are successful. COYR ?

Top things on the to do list

Get us a striker!

Some decent goal scoring wide players on loan also wouldn’t go amiss

spend some time coaching the youngsters like Whittaker, JHI, Knight and Sibbo to get in the opposition’s box beyond the front man as much as possible 

I'm struggling with this one. I'd be happy with him as a manager - he would deliver a short term boost which we sorely need.

The problem is that once the short term boost dissipates, he has no idea how to drive things forward. That suggests he lacks strategic thinking - which is exactly what this role seems to be about.

I'm pretty sure this means that Rooney, Terry or Rosenior are going to be our next head coach. Any one of them could turn out to be brilliant, but it's an enormous risk in our current situation.

Just now, CornwallRam said:

I'm struggling with this one. I'd be happy with him as a manager - he would deliver a short term boost which we sorely need.

The problem is that once the short term boost dissipates, he has no idea how to drive things forward. That suggests he lacks strategic thinking - which is exactly what this role seems to be about.

I'm pretty sure this means that Rooney, Terry or Rosenior are going to be our next head coach. Any one of them could turn out to be brilliant, but it's an enormous risk in our current situation.

Not necessarily disagreeing but would the new ownership really need advising on hiring Rooney, Terry or Rosenior?

I do agree it points to an inexperienced manager but I would hope it is one such as Ryan Lowe or someone from abroad who McClaren has formed contact with

On a serious note, I'm treating this similarly to how I'd treat the announcement of Rooney as manager (though I'm allow the irrational, nostalgic Derby-fan side of me to enjoy it a little more).

We know what he can do as a manager/head coach, but this is a completely new role for him, so I don't see how anyone could possibly come to a firm judgement either way. He could be crap, but he could be amazing. Same as Rooney.

I said the other day I'd like us to go for a director of football. Not sure how similar the role of technical director is, but it does suggest we're trying to get smarter in how the club is structured and run. That, I'm all for.

Archived