Return of the Mac

rynny

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, David said:

Find it interesting that some see this as a Director of Football role and delighted by that when he has no experience.

Then dead set against giving Rooney the managers job as he has no experience. 

Both are equally important roles?

Nobody other than the club really know what duties this role will give him as yet, or how long he will be here for.

It’s an announcement that gives little reason to be excited or disappointed until his role becomes more clear.

I would imagine, in a nutshell.

Rooney will be chief decision maker when it comes to picking an 11, Mac will be the eyes and ears on the training ground and Rooney will spend time learning coaching methods from one of the best in the game.

Stevie Mac will use his contacts to attract good quality loans as we previously did.

Just a random one...I'm sure I read last year that Mac was working with a consortium to try and buy a football club in England. Could he have more to do with this takeover than we know?

9 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

It's a shitshow ?

Steve is back again, his son is still lingering around from one of the earlier spells, the current management team who were part of the previous failure are seemingly denouncing themselves of any responsibility in that so who knows what they actually contributed for the past year and now Mel is sticking around under the new ownership so we'll continue to have him and his mates sticking around. 

McClaren quickly announces his assistant. 

Chris Evans knowledge, experience, and academic qualifications will be invaluable to us. I am sure he will make a huge contribution.

image.jpeg

24 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I’m confused on this.

Mac coming back to this club only makes sense in two ways: 1) As manager or 2) As a clear number two to a number one.

Back in as a Technical Director - what the hell does this mean. It’s obviously early days but he’s a football man, not a business man. I can see interference from him in the playing team. Mac is a coach, a damn good one and we’ve employed in a role not to be a ..... coach.

I just find this weird. Everyone in the club will be wondering what his job is. On the training ground do you listen to Mac or do you listen to the manager? What if the manager reports into Mac?

Yes we need to let it pan out but first and foremost to me - get your manager in and then get your CEO in. Between them, they build the structure of the club and if the manager says “I want a director of football to oversea all aspects of the club” then great. However if Mac gets out on the coaching field, then he’s being a coach, not a Technical Director.

I like him, I wouldn’t object to him as manager, I wouldn’t object as a number two but in this role, nah, not for me.

No manager asks for a DoF because its another boss to report to.

He isn't a business man, you're right, but this role makes him the resident "football expert" on the board. When the board are discussing business and the facts and figures of a page, he translates that into how it affects the football team.

I think we needed a technical director for a while. They set out what the manager is supposed to achieve and judges them on this criteria. I think over the years we've had one or two managers who have come in to completely reshape the club and there's a disconnect with the boardroom.

Put nicely, how the hell does the Sheikh know if the manager is feeding him a load of rubbish about the team, overloading him with coaching and tactical jargon he may not understand, but not actually doing a good job? You need another layer to keep that in check.

If you run an IT business, but know nothing about computers, you don't let the junior manager run the show. You need people who know IT, but also know how your business runs, to counterbalance.

Mac is very familiar with this club, the way we run, and the kind of football people want to see. This could be a chance for him to encourage his football philosophy, with the right head coach working to this end for him, without the pressure of trying to turn around bad results (which we know he has never done well at)

Problem is...who is going to turn around our bad results?

I could get on board with Mac as DoF and Terry as the manager. JT to discipline us at the back and Mac to galvanise our forwards could work rather well.

Rooney wouldn’t try and undermine JT. He could also remain the captain, learning his trade but not picking the match day squad. Not sure where Rosenior fits in though.

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

Posted it in another thread but is it not the case that McClaren’s skill set very much lies in terms of coaching and it is in the administrative side where he has perhaps fallen down in the past? 

If he stays on as a DOF type after the manager is appointed then I am not 100% on whether that’s his best role? 

I am all for the DOF model but just a bit sceptical on him as the right man to fulfil it. But obviously I do hope he does really well and it is good to see him back in some capacity.

DOF tends to be picking players which he excelled at. Picked some real bargains with us that did really well Dawkins for example. 
Picking managers I assume that will fit those players. Remains to be seen but I’ll give it him for his past recruitment. 
instilling a style of play to the club which I’d give him. 

It was his man management of players that was his weakness which he won’t have to do in this role. 

Am I the only one that thinks this adds yet more confusion ....Mac will interfere on football matters ...what decent manager would like that....I actually like a Mac as a coach and if he was brought in until end of season as a coach then fair enough ...but this raises more questions than answers we have 4 wannabe rookie managers and a great coach as a director of football....ffs deary me 

45 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Bonkers

But in a good way

Assume he's been brought in to oversee 'the Derby way' finally? Act as a go between for the board and coaching team - Keep the consistency of style between managers etc and provide the board with some much needed expertise on how football actually works in practice (when they need to show patience, when the random stuff happens, give the head coach breathing room etc)

Yea....but what will he actually do? Will he be in the dugout on match days? On the training ground in the week?

What a mind job! I'm excited, nervous and confused. I really don't know what to think about this. McLaren clearly knows how to coach. But we have 4 coaches already. Can a Technical Director advise the board and the Manager not advise the board? What will the relationship between McLaren, Rooney, Rosenior and the rest of the coaches be? Who's going to decide what training regime, tactics, team etc? If McLaren is going to be involved in first team affairs there needs to be unity there and an understanding of each of their roles and boundaries. 

As for Rooney as Manager, it's not happened yet and people are already writing him off. FFS, let's get behind the team and support them. For now it's Rooney, Rosenior as caretaker managers. If Rooney is appointed full time, give him chance before writing him off.

50 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I am confused as to what this means...I hope we see him out on the training ground rather than in an office. I don't want Rooney as Manager but with Mac there it would at least soften the blow....

Nailed on that is what is likely to happen otherwise they might as well have given Mac the managers job

6 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

DOF tends to be picking players which he excelled at. Picked some real bargains with us that did really well Dawkins for example. 
Picking managers I assume that will fit those players. Remains to be seen but I’ll give it him for his past recruitment. 
instilling a style of play to the club which I’d give him. 

It was his man management of players that was his weakness which he won’t have to do in this role. 

I think his recruitment was better than we have seen over the last few years but still don’t think it was excellent.

That said he was working with very different parameters than his successors. For every Dawkins there was a Leon Best, though I accept that finding a viable Martin alternative was an almost impossible task

Archived