EFL appeal

Sith Happens

5 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

Parachute payments skew the viability of the entire Football League structure and are at the core of all of the problems within the EFL right now. Championship clubs stretch themselves to offer playing budgets to compete with the recently relegated PL cohort which pushes up the average earnings of the players in the division and, in turn pushes up the demands of those playing in the divisions below causing the entire pyramid to totter in the 99th percentile of viability.

But what is the other option? To close off the Premier League and allow them to eat themselves? It would bring back sporting integrity to the EFL, but no-one would vote for capping ambition.

5 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Pretty sure @RoyMac5 found hidden at the bottom of one of the Daily Fail articles that " sources say we may only get a fine for breach of accountancy practises" backtracking on all the hyperbole in the headlines .

Dare I say, it is one good thing about the Daily Mail Online. They can be biased (are often biased), and push a (political) agenda, but ...

... they often give different sides of a story. 

Albeit at the bottom, as you say - and often not fairly balanced - but it is not surprising to see both sides.

I don't know if it is an editorial thing - they just whack out so many stories per day - and I guess it is hard to ensure accuracy (!), so, maybe, one way around that is to include different opinions, to fend off any complaints!?

I also think it is an editorial decision to make great long articles, where they cut and paste every possibly relevant thing that they can find!

And, although I haven't been to their website for quite a while, I have found that I prefer their longer more detailed articles, knowing the bias, and finding more information; than most other news outlets, which tend to provide such short articles.

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

15/16

Turnover = £23m

Player Profit = £9m

Admin Expenses = £15m

Amortisation = £3m

Operating Costs = £37m

16/17

Turnover = £25m

Player Profit = £7m

Admin Expenses = £10m

Amortisation = £4m

Operating Costs = £37m

17/18

Turnover = £29m

Player (and Manager) Profit = £6m

Admin Expenses = £17m

Amortisation = £7m

Operating Costs = £53m

Thanks. But...

The conclusion is ...? 

(I don't even know which figures to add and subtract!)

If the accounting experts on the DC are anything like other expert witnesses i've come across then they'll flounce off in a massive huff rather than be told "you're wrong" by a bunch of people they consider to be unqualified to judge.

So we'll then have to wait for all the fall out from that to be settled.....?

It really does beggar belief......

8 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

Dare I say, it is one good thing about the Daily Mail Online. They can be biased (are often biased), and push a (political) agenda, but ...

... they often give different sides of a story. 

Albeit at the bottom, as you say - and often not fairly balanced - but it is not surprising to see both sides.

I don't know if it is an editorial thing - they just whack out so many stories per day - and I guess it is hard to ensure accuracy (!), so, maybe, one way around that is to include different opinions, to fend off any complaints!?

I also think it is an editorial decision to make great long articles, where they cut and paste every possibly relevant thing that they can find!

And, although I haven't been to their website for quite a while, I have found that I prefer their longer more detailed articles, knowing the bias, and finding more information; than most other news outlets, which tend to provide such short articles.

My other half scrolls down and only reads the last paragraph of Daily Mail articles. The rest is clickbait. 

4 hours ago, Curtains said:

He also says he doesn’t understand why the EFL want to immerse themselves in this and the Premier League do amortization this way anyway .

Last night, I read that amortisation is a FIFA thing introduced to make European football fairer.

I'm getting the impression that different leagues are applying these rules differently.

Doesn't that undermine FIFA's objectives?

Does FIFA take a view on punition and relegation - for example the concept of a Super League without it - or the structure of leagues that prevent it?

Should parachute payments be more restrictive - paid if a buyer cannot be found at a "reasonable (defined) price. Rather than it just being a cash payment - being a safety net to mitigate actual costs of having attempted to do well in the Premier League - rather than something that imposes pressure on other Championship clubs.

If Norwich deliberately didn't spend in the Premier League, were relegated, took the cash, regrouped, and went back -is this really in the interests of the Premier League?

Do they want to encourage clubs to underspend, and offer up poor opposition? Although maybe more goals for bigger clubs ?

And do they want to restrict the chance of promotion of a wider spread of Championship clubs?

The chance of promotion has to be real to be motivating?

And if the parachute payments were remodelled, clubs needn't compete - and drive the risk of breaching financial fair play.

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My rough P&S calculations comparing the current ERV method and the possible adjusted contract extension method:

image.png.a91284af808c9d54393d4d5e12abc9d8.png

Changes to amortisation and transfer profits accounted for.

If this happened to be bang on any idea what we face sanction wise? 

4 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

If the accounting experts on the DC are anything like other expert witnesses i've come across then they'll flounce off in a massive huff rather than be told "you're wrong" by a bunch of people they consider to be unqualified to judge.

So we'll then have to wait for all the fall out from that to be settled.....?

It really does beggar belief......

That would be quite funny. Especially if they say something publically along the lines of "In light of being bound by a decision which in my view as qualified expert in this field and as stated in the orginal decision, is incorrect, I can not in good consience sit on the panel that enacts sactions based on this (WRONG) decision, arrived at for politcal reasons by someone NOT a qualified expert in this field, and therefore I will not be taking part in the process going forward."

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My rough P&S calculations comparing the current ERV method and the possible adjusted contract extension method:

image.png.a91284af808c9d54393d4d5e12abc9d8.png

Changes to amortisation and transfer profits accounted for.

I should have stated these are the figures for the 3 year rolling period.

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The original Disciplinary Committee acquitted us. The EFL appealed against an accountancy offense, with no accountants on their appeals panel. They won one of their charges. It now goes back to the original Disciplinary Committee to decide what, if any, punishment there should be. My hope is that there will be none.

Good News 1

And one advantage is ... the people on the original panel have already made a decision ... and QCs may not be overly pleased about having their judgement challenged. 

It seems that they didn't think that this Pope guy's evidence was relevant, or perhaps his reference to a particular rule was relevant.

They will either feel embarrassed, and seek to punish, to make it up to the EFL - or seek to minimise punishment, because they still think they're right - or, as QCs, they may more interested in the process, and having been told to consider new evidence, genuinely take a fresh look at it.

Good News 2

More good news is that although there is a risk that the panel are on a good gig, doing EFL hearings, they went against the EFL, so they are not kowtowing. 

However, did you see the line about the third panel member being appointed by the EFL? I wonder if they are more inclined to take the EFL's line. But the QCs still outnumber them 2 to 1.

Bad news

I think that the appeal says: you must take into account a specific piece of evidence, which you discounted previously. 

Unfortunately, all options may still be on the table.

Good news 3

More good news is that it may take time, meaning applying sanctions to this season is unlikely.

Good news 4

More good news is that several matters brought to appeal were dismissed, which implies a slightly malicious intention. 

Good cop: bad cop

If I were a nice cop, I might arrest a person for something that they definitely did. If I were a bad cop, I might try and get them charged for every crime that I could think of, whether or not I was convinced that they were guilty. No one likes a bad cop (regardless of whether or not people like good cops)!

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Why do Radio Derby keep inviting that tit Kieran Maguire on the station.

He clearly likes the sound of his own voice and is clearly making a name for himself out of this.

The crazy thing is, he openly admitted he was the one who wrote to the EFL and flagged up our accounting practices. The EFL dismissed his concerns and Maguire wrote back again and insisted they looked into it.

Derby fans and the media should be blocking him out best they can, he is not on our side in the slightest.