EFL appeal

Sith Happens

On 24/05/2021 at 11:10, SouthStandDan said:

Regardless of the outcome, the EFL have lost any credibility to govern the league and if anything, our case has brought out the need to completely rebuild the hierarchy in charge of our division.

When the EFL originally lost the case against Mel and DCFC, the honorable thing to do by the EFL would have been to accept that loopholes in the rules were exposed and used to our advantage, however that is not down to the club being in the wrong. The accounts were signed off. They have taken zero responsibility for their part in this mess and have taken all steps to cover their failings. I am a critic of how Mel has ran the football club however I will back him against these muppets.

If the EFL had questioned our practices at the time, the club would have needed to accept the consequences for breaking rules. This was authorised by the league. If I was at work and I signed off somebody's documentation, I would be the one responsible for any repercussions if there were problems. 

Not fit for purpose.

Have they though?  Other fans of other clubs, from what I've read, think the EFL should throw the book at us because we 'cheated'.

We've only got what's coming to us as far as they're concerned. We don't see that in our Rams bubble.

Personally, I agree they're not fit for purpose but I'm in the bubble with you.

55 minutes ago, falconram said:

I maybe mistaken but I thought I read before the initial trial that a points deducted cannot be given upon an appeal only a fine, if guilty first time yes points but as we we found not guilty only a fine or other sanctions but not points. 

this is so important it needs to be supported by source info.  I have read nothing like this

1 minute ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Have they though?  Other fans of other clubs, from what I've read, think the EFL should throw the book at us because we 'cheated'.

We've only got what's coming to us as far as they're concerned. We don't see that in our Rams bubble.

too right.

there are 3 actors in this play and most have forgotten the other clubs want the book thrown at us.

14 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

What the EFL seem to be doing is taking a club that is clearly in a poor state and beating it until it breaks. How could they ever claim to be in it for the good of the game.

Self inflicted 'poor state'

Not the fault of the EFL or the other 23 clubs that we are in a poor state.

26 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Is there no arbitration option here? 

The longer the delay, the greater the damage to Derby County football club. 

Let's get this plaster ripped off so we know where we are. 

We need someone to bang heads together so we can plan a better future. 

One assumes the EFL wants us to manage the club in a better fashion from now on and perhaps the best way of ensuring that is to allow new ownership. 

I feel sure the delay in settling this business is delaying any possible takeover. 

LAP stands for League Arbitration Panel.

18 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

They've been told that for more than a year, from all sorts of media and probably "the word around the game".

The mob would hang us in a heartbeat.

19 minutes ago, Spanish said:

this is so important it needs to be supported by source info.  I have read nothing like this

I may be something the lawyer De Marco tweeted when the trail first kicked off. I looked on the Sheffield Wednesday Owls forum with interest as there's started prior to ours so it may have been on theres. 

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

They've been told that for more than a year, from all sorts of media and probably "the word around the game".

The mob would hang us in a heartbeat.

And when the sanctions are handed out we'll be forgotten about like QPR, Bournemouth, Aston Villa, et al are too. The bubble bursts.

1 hour ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Self inflicted 'poor state'

Not the fault of the EFL or the other 23 clubs that we are in a poor state.

We don't actually know how much of it is self-inflicted, and likewise, we don't know what kind of state the majority of other clubs are in.  We know that as of maybe 2 years ago, we had no real debts, and the only major financial issue was the wage-bill being too high.  The losses in the accounts from that period were, at least in part, paper losses from the amortisation of players signed years before.  Obviously not ideal, but not the sign of a club in terminal decline.

So the rumours of us being £60m in debt (if those are even accurate etc) must be mostly down to what has happened during the pandemic, which will also have affected every other club in the country. Obviously some clubs will be exposed less than us due to having spent more sensibly in previous seasons, and the Keogh and Cocu payoffs are entirely down to us etc.  But I wouldn't start handing out all of the blame until we see what shape everyone else is in.  Lots of clubs will have deferred HMRC payments. Lots of clubs will have taken loans to cover running costs.

Don't get me wrong, I think Morris has largely done a terrible job as owner, but it's hard to blame him for any financial issues caused by the pandemic.

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

LAP stands for League Arbitration Panel.

Question 

in your opinion 

If we do get punished 

how much time have we already served of the punishment 

I mean we were under a soft Embargo in January... we could well be under one now 

how much do u think this would be considered when handing out punishments . 

Just now, NottsRam77 said:

Question 

in your opinion 

If we do get punished 

how much time have we already served of the punishment 

I mean we were under a soft Embargo in January... we could well be under one now 

how much do u think this would be considered when handing out punishments . 

Well thanks for the question but I don't think I am qualified to give a great answer.  From our perspective we have and continue to be punished but from the perspective of the other clubs no further punishment will look like we got away with it.  The only way this could come into play is if the IDC impose a penalty of say 12 months embargo and then deduct the amount we have already served.

18 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

The truth about Millwall is that they didn’t receive a points deduction because it was deemed they hadn’t gained an advantage as evidenced by the fact that they were relegated anyway. 

But they did get ultimately gain an advantage, a huge one, no transfer ban meant they were able to bring in loan signings Shane Ferguson from Newcastle (made permanent), George Saville (two years later signed for Boro, £8m) and Jed Wallace from Wolves and Chris Taylor from Blackburn. Eight permanent signings, Romeo still there, Carlos Edwards many will remember, Steve Morrison (went on to score 40 goals for them), Tony Craig, all of whom played many games and helped them back into the Championship, so they did get a massive and unfair advantage, 12 players were added to their squad that generally was their side for that season. Forest, Bolton and Fulham could not do that, and Bolton were relegated the next season. Millwall also got to the Football League Trophy Final that year.

25 minutes ago, maxjam said:

So do we know categorically if we are under any sort of transfer embargo relating specifically to this or not? I have read lots of speculation but nothing, I don't think, conclusive.

3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

So do we know categorically if we are under any sort of transfer embargo relating specifically to this or not? I have read lots of speculation but nothing, I don't think, conclusive.

We are currently under one for not submitting our due accounts for last year. In January we were under one because of unpaid wages.

We're not under an embargo as part of this ruling is my understanding, but I could be wrong on that if I've missed something.

It might also be the case we need the EFL issue resolving before we can submit our accounts, giving the de facto embargo.