Cocu left by mutual consent

EnigmaRam

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Shang said:

Just wonder whether the people buying the club put some pressure on Mel to take the financial responsibility for the dismissal of Cocu, or potentially the deal would not happen. Mel met Cocu, and Cocu agreed reduced severance due to the relationship he and Mel have.

Just seems really weird doing this a week after the last game.

10 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

And the Derby county managerial merry-go-round goes on. New manager,  new style, new players. How long do we give him? 3,,   6 months? Who will be the manager next season. No wonder we are in such dire straights 

Yes, but he was getting money for nothing, if you look at results.

2 minutes ago, Rolleston said:

Thank goodness he has gone, crazy to give him a four year contract, 50% of the team from the academy, another bonkers blue sky idea

If the issue is 50%academy players does that not sit with mel not cocu?

3 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I think @reverendo de duivel would prefer David Essex. He wants someone To Hold Me(him) Close now Twan has gone. 

I heard David Essex would have us top bu Christmas, but it was only a winters tale.

2 minutes ago, Mickleoverram said:

THANK GOD he has gone, i understand the need for stability, but you have to have the right manager in the first place. If people just want stability then we should have kept Paul Jewel, we would have been VERY stable by now in the Isthmian league.

Don’t wish to be a pedant, but by a strange geographical quirk we cannot play in the Isthmian League, unless Derby moves nearer London.

1 minute ago, Van Rammeister said:

Just wonder whether the people buying the club put some pressure on Mel to take the financial responsibility for the dismissal of Cocu, or potentially the deal would not happen. Mel met Cocu, and Cocu agreed reduced severance due to the relationship he and Mel have.

Just seems really weird doing this a week after the last game.

I think it's most likely this would have happened. Mel was probably putting off dismissing Cocu so he could get the full pay off that he deserves. But pressure from the new owners or someone else meant that Cocu couldn't get the full pay?

It's either that, or Cocu knows how much FFP would cripple us if he took the full pay out, so he's being a true gent and leaving with less.

I sometimes wonder if it was an option to keep him employed, by moving him upstairs into a Director of Football role overseeing the academy to first team players, scouting etc. Would have let him run down his contract whilst we put a new first team coach in to replace him. Would be cheaper that's for sure.

Thanks for your hard work Phillip. It's a real shame for all involved that it hasn't worked out, but he always did what he thought was best for the club, never moaned or grumbled and always acted with class and integrity. All the best in the future. 

Read through the first 5 pages and skipped here.

I think it's testament to the man that the overwhelming sentiment is of sadness. Cocu was nothing but a gentlemen and I was proud to see him at the helm of Derby County. He had far too much off the field shenanigans to deal with but ultimately the results over the last 20 league games sealed his fate. Wish him the best.

Also just read that Rooney and Rosenior will oversee the first team for Bristol. Rosenior knew at the end of the Barnsley game he'd just got his boss sacked. Just hope he can get the team playing. Have my doubts over Rooney but happy to be proved wrong. A man with his pedigree should know a bit about how to set a winning team up and I'm just hoping he and Rosenior manage to get the ball moving quicker in the final third. 

Anyway. Thanks Philip for upholding decency and dignity at a time when you could have held yourself in a much different manner.

50 minutes ago, glyn1957 said:

I must admit Cocu has puzzled me at times and I have questioned his abilities (not footballing) just to sort Derby out,but I think that this could have been a coup d'etat by Rooney .

A thought which has crossed my mind many times over the last couple of months, fuelled by the Talksport and Carragher cr*p. A gentleman with the class and dignity of Cocu would never come out and say so. As has been said earlier, if the players suddenly find their form I will be disappointed, not by the results obviously, but by the fact that they didn’t do it for Cocu, who absolutely deserved their very best. I thank him for his time here and wish him all the very best.

22 minutes ago, Rampage said:

McLaren to save us from relegation then new manager at end of season unless Steve has worked a miracle.

This might be famous last words but I just don’t see it. The clock continues to turn, things change. Need a new story. 

Echo most comments here. Genuinely liked the guy and really wanted it to work but results count so the right decision I think.  He was dealt an awful hand here - so much bad luck off and on the field but, publicly at least was a gent right to the last.  He goes with my very best wishes.  

1 hour ago, Ramos said:

Good luck to him. Sadly didn’t work out, but it’s the right thing for the club for me. If it is by mutual consent and means he’s agreed not to take all the money then he’s even more of a gentleman than we thought. Although I’ve never really understood the ins and outs of mutual consent. 

You are Ched Evans and I claim my £5.

Archived