Cocu left by mutual consent

EnigmaRam

Just seen John Percy’s tweet as well, anyone hurling personal abuse at the bloke should hang their heads in shame. He might not be the best football manager, but there’s not many men who would take a lower payout than their entitled to. Throughly class move that will help with our long term financial situation, thank you very much Phil.

Good to hear the takeover is due to go through soon as well. Hopefully this is the start of a better era of Derby County than the last year or so has been.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly, Cocu has paid the price for the crap that came before him. If he had inherited a better squad, the 'project' (ie the integration of a very talented - but as yet naive - crop of academy graduates - would have had time to pan out. As it turned out, he's been forced to push them through a bit faster than they were quite ready for, then have to pull them out to save long term damage as confidence splintered in recent times.

I agree he had to go - unfortunately that die was cast - but can't help thinking of what COULD have been if he'd have been dealt a slightly better hand, or if he'd just been a bit luckier.

Success needs a wise owner, brave players and a lucky manager!!

5 minutes ago, Anon said:

I completely agree with the criticism of Howe regarding his big money transfers in the Premier League. He wasted an awful lot of money and managed to undo all the great work he'd done getting Bournemouth established at that level. I don't agree at all with your views on the underdog story. The big money didn't come until they were in the Championship. They operated on a shoestring during their promotion from league 2. With regards to the money spent in the Championship, so what? There are plenty of managers who've spent huge sums in the Championship and still failed to gain promotion, a look through our own managerial history can provide at least one good example.

Got from L2 to L1 in an embargo, yeah, but debut season in League One the new ownership spent over £2m. In 2011. In League One.

Derby that same season spent around the same amount and that money bought us Fielding, Ward, Bryson, Shackell, Maguire, Robinson, and Legzdins. So a lot of money.

11 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I agree he did well with Bournemouth, but he did it with a hell of a lot of cash and couldn't get them out of the Championship without breaching FFP. Don't think he is what we need atm.

It's a lot easier for teams with average crowds of 12,000, and limited tv appearances to breach FFP, than it is for crowds of 30,000 that are on tv every other week.

It’s all been said but what a dignified act from Philip and his team. It’s also nice to see the vast majority of fans are treating PC’s announcement with the respect it deserves. I hope he has all the success he deserves in whatever he decides to do.

Archived