Cocu left by mutual consent

EnigmaRam

14 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Honestly believe the guy is a good manager, just never got the right breaks and came to grasp the momentum of the championship. Dispute our current position I hold Phil and his team in high regard and wish them well. 

He might be a good manager with the right players.

To be fair I think a good manager would have spotted our problems much earlier and done something about it in pre season.

Our lack of attacking intent was obvious even by then and he has to date of leaving done very little about it.

He has pretty much provided entertainment on a par with Nigel Clough's reign, with much bigger transfer funds and probably better players at his disposal.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As others have said, some of the best players we have signed in a number of season's are from Cocu. Byrne, Marshall, Jozwiak, Ibe(assuming...).

Its disappointing to see him leave and I really believe we need a bit more time and it will click for sure. Ever changing managers is not helpful at all for us. I mean, what do the players have to do? 6 months they should play like this and it's the correct way, next 6 months it's the wrong way and you will be dropped....no wonder we struggle sometimes.

Really wish he had been given more time, but it's not to be. Just hope now Rooney does not become manager otherwise it will be Frank all over again and despite the enjoyment, the same mess in the end. 

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

Good points.

I believe we should have kept Cocu not because of any notions of him having been dealt a bad hand, my reasoning is down to him needing a bit longer to imbed his philosophy in the players. The older players seemed to be struggling to take it on board, maybe thats why he gave more minutes to teenagers than any other manager in England. 

I don't feel sorry for Phil, I feel sorry for us, for Derby County. I believe it would have clicked, maybe slowly at first, but then we'd be on a Mac 1 free for all for the next few years.?

I suppose there is no chance nowadays of the slow build, us and owners are too impatient, too focused on short termism.

We'd have been relegated mate. And then it's too late. Right time to go. Sad, but that's football. 

3 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

So he's accepted a settlement below what he was entitled to. I hope all the people who've given him personal abuse and called him Cocu the clown feel great about themselves. Because he's got more class than they will ever have.

Hope he goes on to be a roaring success in his next job.

The balance was to be paid in mushy peas, Phil did the right thing and left em on the table. Uncle Bumble has played a blinder here.

So many things caused him problems. Lack of pre-season 2019-2020 due to Lampard/others faffing around, losing key players to accident/sendings off/injury, covid causing season disruption. This season, players still out through injury (and only just returning) no supporters. Think we were a decent striker away from a good team.

Surprised at the timing but not the sacking - few managers would expect to stay with that run of form and the awful way we were playing.

People keep saying he would have turned it around but I didn’t see a shred of evidence to support that.

Those saying he deserved more time need to look at how many teams who have been bottom at Christmas survived relegation !

3 minutes ago, TimRam said:

So many things caused him problems. Lack of pre-season 2019-2020 due to Lampard/others faffing around, losing key players to accident/sendings off/injury, covid causing season disruption. This season, players still out through injury (and only just returning) no supporters. Think we were a decent striker away from a good team.

They are all things which all clubs have to deal with.

We could have the best striker in the world and it would make little difference, we just dont create chances.

One of the main reasons being we play with 5 defenders and 2 deep midfielders.

2 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

The big question is to why everyone thought he was so magical to begin with. 

Got an unfancied club promoted up two divisions, kept them in the prem for 6 years. While Derby has sank from challenging his team for promotion to the bottom of the championship. But you wouldn’t take him no? 

1 hour ago, Mickleoverram said:

I told you I didn’t know what his duties were, sorry I didn’t realise you were in his appointment interviews. I did say that just because you saw good transitions with Buchanan etc, means nothing as I saw good transitions when he wasn’t at Derby.

You don't know what his role is but whatever it is he isn't doing a good job of it? Would it just be easier for you to just say you don't like him? 

Odd timing, which probably means the takeover is all but done.

Sad to see him go and desperately wanted him to succeed, but the writing was on the wall!

The way he handled himself here with everything that happened..........even his departure oozed class!

I can guarantee if we get in any of usual suspects that people are clamoring for and it goes belly up then they will rinse us for every penny!

8 minutes ago, Ramos said:

Got an unfancied club promoted up two divisions, kept them in the prem for 6 years. While Derby has sank from challenging his team for promotion to the bottom of the championship. But you wouldn’t take him no? 

Had the biggest budget in league 1, one of the biggest budgets in the championship (so much they got a big fine through ffp the year after promotion) and were the 11th biggest net spenders in Europe during 2015-2019 and yet still got them relegated. Did a bang average job at the only other club he's ever been at so it's a thanks but no thanks from me. 

17 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Odd timing, which probably means the takeover is all but done.

Sad to see him go and desperately wanted him to succeed, but the writing was on the wall!

The way he handled himself here with everything that happened..........even his departure oozed class!

I can guarantee if we get in any of usual suspects that people are clamoring for and it goes belly up then they will rinse us for every penny!

Big Sam never leaves without a nice full envelope.... 

Archived