Cocu left by mutual consent

EnigmaRam

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As with many others I'm genuinely sad to see him go.  He's not had the rub of the green (understatement) but even I can see its the right move for the club.  True gentleman to the end and I wish him every success in the future (as long as he doesn't turn up at Forest!)

I can’t say I’m sad to see him go as he was taking us nowhere but he’s a decent guy and I wish him well for the future. 
Now for the love of god Derby, please please please get the next appointment right - no Rooney, no Terry or any other showboat signing, just someone with a proven record of experience and achievement at this level. 

Yet another rebuilding or transition to come. 

Feel for him despite some frustrating performances. 

His time at Derby has been a bit like asking Lewis to compete for the F1 title in this.

old-fashioned-abandoned-cuban-car-typical-colonial-street-cuba-no-wheels-totally-42482296.thumb.jpg.523b03aa4a7fd3120a59b69a35eb76df.jpg

38 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

Terrible move, Mel has to shoulder some of the blame for me, this point is the culmination of lots of bad decisions over a period of time.

Good riddance I’m afraid

Harsh.  Be interesting to understand your view when he was appointed - if you predicted the outcome then hats off to you as I don't recall there were many

1 minute ago, Tombo said:

Took hundreds of millions to end up with his side in the Championship. Look at all the money he spunked. Bournemouth coming from League Two was not the underdog story they claimed it was. It was a tale of millions and millions of pounds. We don't have that. We need a football manager, not Football Manager player.

That doesn't even touch the Burnley failure.

...Plus he's got a smug little face on him I can't stand...

I completely agree with the criticism of Howe regarding his big money transfers in the Premier League. He wasted an awful lot of money and managed to undo all the great work he'd done getting Bournemouth established at that level. I don't agree at all with your views on the underdog story. The big money didn't come until they were in the Championship. They operated on a shoestring during their promotion from league 2. With regards to the money spent in the Championship, so what? There are plenty of managers who've spent huge sums in the Championship and still failed to gain promotion, a look through our own managerial history can provide at least one good example.

4 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Right, his Premier League recruitment left a lot to be desired. And he didn't get Burnley promoted.

Are we supposed to ignore him taking Bournemouth from the brink of non-league to four years of Premier League football? He's not my first choice, but the idea that he's crap is just so weird.

I agree he did well with Bournemouth, but he did it with a hell of a lot of cash and couldn't get them out of the Championship without breaching FFP. Don't think he is what we need atm.

I genuinely think that if we were in the Premier League, Cocu would have been decent for us. He unfortunately just wasn't suited to the Championship. He's been with us through the worst possible situations with the club, but he's also brought pride into our academy.

Really wish him all the best in his next job.

It’s a great shame because Cocu is such an absolute gentleman, but that’s definitely the right call. You can’t take Derby to bottom of the championship and expect to keep your job, this was inevitable sooner or later. I’m just glad we’ve taken swift action, rather than allowing the situation to drag out until the takeover is done - that wouldn’t have been nice for anyone involved. With the sacking done now, Cocu gets to depart amicably before things turn really sour, and we get a new manager in charge quicker to hopefully turn our season around. 

Thanks to Cocu and all of his staff who have left, they’ve all shown real class whilst having to deal with some very difficult circumstances in charge of us. Sadly my memories of Cocu’s time in charge on the pitch will be predominantly negative, but I will never think ill of him as a man. Proper Gentleman, so it makes me sad that he wasn’t the man for the job.

Very sad that Cocu has departed, but the Dutch style of play was obviously not to the liking of the players. At the end of the day if the players won't, or can't, play to the managers system then they have to take some responsibility.

I believe some of them have just been going through the motions.

Phillip Cocu was dealt a poor hand when he came to Derby, on and off the field, with so many issues and problems, most of them not of his doing, and on going the way he has, has proven what a gentleman, and the other Dutch staff, have been.

I really hope its not Rooney as the new coach/manager.

I'm glad that the right decision has been made, but can't say I'm jubilant about it even as a strong Cocu - outer. Feel abit for him but at the same time if he had stayed there  was much chance it got worse than better. Now we need to get the next appointment right, no point getting rid of one manager and appointing  someone so bad that we have no improvement what so ever. 

Archived