Cocu left by mutual consent

EnigmaRam

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Sad, but also have that bit of foolish excitement that maybe our next manager will be the one who turns us into a team that could challenge top 2. It's ok, I know it won't happen.

Same here. I have already started thinking .. the players are good, just need the man with the right key to unlock all that potential.. and yet i know 10 games on we’ll be saying he’s too negative / not playing the right formation / round pegs in square holes / we need a decent XYZ player / idiot substitutions / no game management .... but maybe this time we won’t .. that little light bulb called hope .. it will click .. then we’ll get .. this was Cocu .. he blooded the youngsters, could spot a talent what a team, Maclaren got them performing but it was Clough that built it .. ???

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What I don’t get is “the club will be making no further statement” twaddle, followed by a series of leaks to John Percy.

As others have mentioned its really sad to see him go, he faced everything that was thrown at him with dignity and (imo) ultimately failed due to an overwhelming number of factors beyond his control.

Hope he succeeds elsewhere and that his successor has half as much class.

4 minutes ago, Kinder said:

I feel really sad about this. I like Phil, Twan and Chris. They had the right long term plan and vision, but you can’t look past the results. Definitely the right move but I do feel for them, and Mel. I’d have loved it to work out.

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I think the long term vision stuff was a cop out. It was to distract us from Mel's lack of investment, the reality is our squad has got worse year on year for a while now, and Mel put Cocu as the frontman for a long term vision to take the heat off until he could find a buyer.

I feel quite sad about this for two reasons.

To sack a manager means we are not doing well and the manager has failed.

I feel that the whole time Cocu has had at the club has been riddled with incident. In a way I bet Cocu is glad to be out of it all.

Good luck for the future. It just wasn’t to be here.

7 minutes ago, jono said:

Same here. I have already started thinking .. the players are good, just need the man with the right key to unlock all that potential.. and yet i know 10 games on we’ll be saying he’s too negative / not playing the right formation / round pegs in square holes / we need a decent XYZ player / idiot substitutions / no game management .... but maybe this time we won’t .. that little light bulb called hope .. it will click .. then we’ll get .. this was Cocu .. he blooded the youngsters, could spot a talent what a team, Maclaren got them performing but it was Clough that built it .. ???

McLaren to save us from relegation then new manager at end of season unless Steve has worked a miracle.

1 minute ago, BathRam72 said:

And the Derby county managerial merry-go-round goes on. New manager,  new style, new players. How long do we give him? 3,,   6 months? Who will be the manager next season. No wonder we are in such dire straights 

If fairness to Mel, he'd calmed down after the crazy first couple of years, with Rowett and Lampard not leaving because of Mel and Cocu being given as much time as really could have been given. But I totally get you on the "here we go again" with managers front.

Archived