Bristol City v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Ghost of Clough

Just now, brady1993 said:

My first instinct was the first one and if it's that, I actually like that midfield balance; Bird is excellent positionally and Holmes and Knight are full of energy and running.

Remember when we played 4-3-3 with De Sart as the holding midfielder? Think we could see the same thing happen with Bird if we're not careful. I like to see Bird in the side but, for me, he should be sat with a Shinnie or Bielik type. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

It might even be...

Marshall

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Buchanan

Knight Bird Holmes

Waghorn Rooney Lawrence

or even...

Marshall

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Buchanan

Holmes Knight Bird Lawrence

Waghorn Rooney

Either way I think today might be tough.

First one isn't awful tbf

Second one is a disaster

Until people said about Bielik playing for U23s yesterday I assumed it was something poland/covid related keeping them out... Is Joz injured? 

Tough on Davies, but I'm not convinced he works unless he has 2 CBs with him, much as he's my favourite current player. Harsh on Shinnie, but horses for courses and all that, I'm sure we'll see plenty of him back soon

Interesting (not a criticism) choice of Rooney to start. The advantage of not being sole manager, he can leave LR to deal with the bench and sidelines, but makes it difficult for them to have a conversation about decisions 

Lets hope covid screwing Bristol City's pre match prep helps us come away with a decent result. Our bench makes me sad, other than Sibley there's nobody I'd have faith in to come on and turn in a match winning performance. Whittaker looks better than last season but he isn't going to come off the bench and put their left back to the sword. I hope the new manager bounce means we'll get the win but i'm struggling to be optimistic looking at the selection.

Ibe is looking like a car crash of a signing, as is CZR, as is MtW. Jozwiak always seems to come back from international duty with ailments. Its all good though because our academy wins matches.

4 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Let’s hope we turn the corner and get a win here.

Holmes must have done well in training to justify his inclusion as he’s by far the most out of sorts player in the squad at present.

Dont like Rooney in midfield (If that’s where he is) but let’s see how it goes!

Strange that MTW didn’t even make the 9 man bench

TBF, he's just one of many IMO

Can’t complain about the team if Bielik and Joz are not fit, other than Holmes who has been very poor this year. Would prefer Sibley personally. Glad to see Bird back; he will be a proper player for us this season (and hopefully more). I was really looking forward to seeing Martin v Davies in a foot race too. Ah well, hopefully Wiz will take him out early doors.

I think the reason why Wisdom is in for Davies is that he's a lot better at progressive passing. He's got a decent long range ball and is good at passing the ball through the lines.

Good to see Holmes back in though, he's definitely second to Joz though.

I figured Rooney would bring Max back. I have a sense he is Wayne’s protege he improved so much when Wayne arrived. Just hope we don’t sit too deep. 

Pity about Joz but if we relax and play we can do this. .. jeez I am nervous though 

Archived