Bristol City v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Ghost of Clough

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Marshall

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Buchanan

Knight Bird Rooney

Holmes Waghorn Lawrence

One CDM on the bench. Another out because he played in an U23s game...despite playing 90mins against Barnsley two weeks ago.

Surprising to say the least. 

It might even be...

Marshall

Knight Bird Holmes

Waghorn Rooney Lawrence

or even...

Marshall

Holmes Knight Bird Lawrence

Waghorn Rooney

Either way I think today might be tough.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Odd in the new era of 9 subs not to have record signing Krystian Bielik even on the bench. And no Mike te Wierik either. 

Holmes hasn't justified his place in the team. Evans back is interesting. Tough on Davis and Shinnie who have been standouts. 

Huge congrats to Kornell McDonald who has impressed in the U23s. 

Delighted to Triallist and Whittaker are back on the bench. 

The proof of the pudding will be on feasting upon Bristol City. Come on you Rams! ????

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Back to what worked last season.

Marshall

Byrne   Wisdom   Clarke   Buchanan

Bird   Rooney

Holmes   Knight   Lawrence

Waghorn

Nice to see a new U23 face on the bench in McDonald.

That wasn't my first thought but you could well be right. 

First thought was a 433 with Holmes in midfield and Rooney up top.

I guess we answered the question of whether Rooney will pick himself. Needs to play well to justify it.

It seems very odd to see no Te Wieirk or Bielik in the squad. And it's disappointing to see Jozwiak out.

But there is fair bit I like about that line up. It's more forward thinking. I'm glad we've switched out Shinnie and Davies whilst keeping in the attacking fullbacks and I'm glad to see Bird back.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Obviously I’d like to win a game, but I absolutely don’t want Rooney at this club. So, given the inevitability of the loss, it might as well be a pumping. 

We will win today don't worry, you will be bouncing along with Wazza in the south stand before you know it ??

2 minutes ago, big bad ram said:

No which is surprising. The fantastic four obviously thought the u23's game was better than being on the bench today.

I don't get it either. Was this a regular U23 game or just a friendly? Was no discussion of it on here, do we have a line up for it?

Yay, back to the league's slowest central midfield pairing who won't close anyone down, and won't put in 5 tackles all game; back to being unable to defend any crosses into the box, having wingers who make the wrong decision 18 times out of 20 between them & being completely unable to hold the ball up top.

Nailed on victory, 4-0 Holmes double, Lawrence & a Rooney free kick.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Good job he isn't in the squad too. He'd be blocking the progress of Trialist and Stretton 

I get that and was frustrated that Trialist didn't feature more.  Maybe the idea now is not to have a hold up guy but some some pace instead ? 

I like that line up .....

Apart from choosing to use Bielik in an u23 game rather than having him available to play some part today, Sibley still being on the bench, Rooney starting himself despite playing crap recently, dropping Shinnie who's been one of the better performers this season and starting Holmes who has been one of the worst performers this season.

Other than that I'm delighted ?

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

It might even be...

Marshall

Knight Bird Holmes

Waghorn Rooney Lawrence

or even...

Marshall

Holmes Knight Bird Lawrence

Waghorn Rooney

Either way I think today might be tough.

My first instinct was the first one and if it's that, I actually like that midfield balance; Bird is excellent positionally and Holmes and Knight are full of energy and running.

Let’s hope we turn the corner and get a win here.

Holmes must have done well in training to justify his inclusion as he’s by far the most out of sorts player in the squad at present.

Dont like Rooney in midfield (If that’s where he is) but let’s see how it goes!

Strange that MTW didn’t even make the 9 man bench

Just now, Beetroot said:

Good line up that is. 4-3-3 and a good shake up just like I called for. Not more of the same like @Davidcalled for. 

I'm feeling positive now @David.

Well unlike @Srg I hope we win and we play very well in this formation that puts a smile on both of our faces at 5pm.

3-4-3 against Boro though ?

2 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Yay, back to the league's slowest central midfield pairing, who also won't put in 5 tackles all game, being unable to defend any crosses into the box, having wingers who make the wrong decision 18 times our of 20 between them & being completely unable to hold the ball up top.

Nailed on victory, 4-0 Holmes double, Lawrence & a Rooney free kick.

Yes I'm worried about midfield too. Slow, Rooney prone to losing the ball  and no bite. Let's hope Bird's progressive passing re-emerges.

Archived