Derby County v Barnsley: Matchday Thread

Rampant

13 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Those who have supported Cocu need to face up to the predictable consequences of his cautious,  defensive approach.

There is no future in it and never has been. Our play seems to have no strategy, formation and players change without any effect

on the performance and this goes back to the final part of last season.

Im one of them mate , hands up i was wrong , indefensible now , Cocu must go and take Rooney with him , that guy couldnt care less about this football club

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Got nothing to do with tactics that. That's entirely on Marshall, he had time and options.

While I agree that instance was a mistake by Marshall, there is no getting around the fact that we pass the ball consistently backwards in hope of keeping possesion, that was punished today. We are relying on passes to the keeper far too much, its a crutch.

No point having balls in from wide from the likes of Buchanan, Jozwiak and Byrne if no one in the middle has the pace or aerial strength to get on the end of them.

p.s. autocorrect corrected aerial to Ariel and I think a Little Mermaid would not have looked out of place in our team today ?

4 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Thought we were massively let down by Lawrence and Waghorn today as we were on Wednesday. Any positivity or zip in our play seems to break down around them due to poor choices being made over and over.

Today I saw defenders battle, the midfield working hard at the pushing the play further up the pitch, Buchanan getting into good positions and getting good crosses in,  Jozwiak turning players and looking to be positive. I had no issue with our style and how we went about the game. But it kept breaking down around individuals, so we lost momentum and the ball kept coming back into our half. Similar to Wednesday if I’m honest and why I’m saying the issue is with the players (and I don’t like digging individuals out but it’s the attackers who are letting us down right now) and not necessarily the management. If you can’t place a pass in front of your own player rather than behind him, like Waghorn did to Sibley for his shot in the second half, then you have to ask serious questions. 

Marshall is needing to make too many saves, our defenders are having to defend too much and our attackers aren’t attacking enough because they aren’t doing enough.

Feel hugely let down by some individual performances the last two games

You said much the same the other night and agreed with you then and do today but this can’t be used as deflection from the management team,  Rosenior said as much in his  interview. 

28 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

Spineless, Spiritless, Shocking .... that’s just the S’s you could go through the alphabet. I’m sure the players will come in for stick and rightly so but any posters using that to deflect away from the management of this team need not bother. Cocu lost my support after the last result with caveats of sadness but I’m over that now. We are in utter disarray. 

Didn’t use the s word I’d have gone for ? 

11 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

If Rooney had any dignity he'd ask to be benched.

He's been our worst player every game, he just doesn't work in this side, he's slow and unfit, and his body language is appalling.

If there's some clause in his contract insisting he plays the club need to pay whatever it takes to scrap it.

If there's no clause then Cocu has clearly lost the plot. Playing Rooney every week should be a sackable offence wherever we are in the table.

I think Rooney's getting an unfair amount of the blame. Yes he's been bad but he gets singled out because he's the most visible player on the pitch. At least he's actually willing to get on the ball and try something. Waghorn and Lawrence offered nothing today. Rooney's best position is clearly deep midfield and was excellent last season there. I agree he shouldn't be playing in the 3-4-3 team but I still think he'd be a brilliant player for us if we had a manager who knew how to utilize him correctly. 

Just now, Dinnitdough said:

While I agree that instance was a mistake by Marshall, there is no getting around the fact that we pass the ball consistently backwards in hope of keeping possesion, that was punished today. We are relying on passes to the keeper far too much, its a crutch.

To be honest I think a big reason why we looked a bit shaky early on today playing around at the back and going back to the keeper frequently was because neither Knight or Shinnie (especially Shinnie) were doing enough to get on the ball. 

If there is no option in front of them the defenders have 3 choice; sideways, back or a hopeful punt. The likes of Davies doesn't have the ability to pick out passes so is always going to go for a safety option, so a midfielder needs to make his mind up for him ideally (actually ideally don't play him but that's a different argument).

With that said that goal is purely on Marshall. He had ample time and options. 

1 minute ago, DCFClks said:

Even though it's wrong, most footballers aren't like Curtis Davies, they won't give 100% every game regardless of how well it's going. Most footballers are entitled with big egos and it's up to the manager to get them on side. It's wrong but that's the way it is. It's the same at every club. I don't think any clubs players would be giving 100% when the coaches have tried many different setups and they've all failed. 

It raises more alarming questions to me. Cocu changed as the players wanted after that meeting. We went more experience and solid which led to the scrapping of the young players. Problem is, once that doesn't get the results there is nowhere to go.

They all have to take responsibility, Cocu will lose his job. Rooney won't. What influence has he had? If he has to play,no deal is worth that.

It all seems like such a shift from the last game before lockdown. 

Just now, DCFClks said:

I think Rooney's getting an unfair amount of the blame. Yes he's been bad but he gets singled out because he's the most visible player on the pitch. At least he's actually willing to get on the ball and try something. Waghorn and Lawrence offered nothing today. Rooney's best position is clearly deep midfield and was excellent last season there. I agree he shouldn't be playing in the 3-4-3 team but I still think he'd be a brilliant player for us if we had a manager who knew how to utilize him correctly. 

To be fair I've been critical of him lately but thought he was a lot better today moved into midfield.

Just now, ziggyram59 said:

Really hope your right Pearl Ram. Get rid of management and take Rooney with them. 

The sad face is not aimed at your post ziggy, more that it’s come to this, bottom of the table...never thought I’d see that under Mel’s reign.

Just now, BondJovi said:

It raises more alarming questions to me. Cocu changed as the players wanted after that meeting. We went more experience and solid which led to the scrapping of the young players. Problem is, once that doesn't get the results there is nowhere to go.

They all have to take responsibility, Cocu will lose his job. Rooney won't. What influence has he had? If he has to play,no deal is worth that.

It all seems like such a shift from the last game before lockdown. 

I honestly think that's why we've nded up putting ourselves in a real mess and straddling to many ideas. We overreacted to a poor first 3 games with several players out and several players coming back to fitness.

Archived