Derby County v Barnsley: Matchday Thread

Rampant

Those who have supported Cocu need to face up to the predictable consequences of his cautious,  defensive approach.

There is no future in it and never has been. Our play seems to have no strategy, formation and players change without any effect

on the performance and this goes back to the final part of last season.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

why would he? he has been playing on his own second half.  He is a defensive midfielder that Cocu is playing out of position

I know he is but he isn't mobile enough at the moment, I'm just saying those two got dropped for goals were the forward was allowed to come inside and did close down, hence since then they have been left out. If you do that to them you do it to the other, be consistent in picking a team, errors happen, Wisdom should never have been dropped

1 minute ago, Edtheram said:

The manager isn’t good enough.

The coaches aren’t good enough.

Most of our players aren’t good enough.

Waghorn is NEVER a no.9 - he can’t head the ball, can’t hold the ball and can’t lay the ball off. Kazim is the physical striker we have and has to start.

Lawrence is Lawrence no goals and no assists yet.

Jozwiak has to start games.

Shinnie was awful today.

Bielik is going to be a good player but needs time.

Couldnt care less about the Marshall mistake, he’s an excellent player for the club. So no problems there.

SACK COCU

You really think Kazim-Richards is the answer? He looks like a pub player to me.  Guarantee Tomori will score more Derby goals in his career.

Well, back to the safety first formation, which worked to some extent in that we looked quite bright and even had a couple of shots, until the defensive mistake. Then it all just unravels as once again we are chasing a game against a team adept at sitting in and playing on the break.

After that, our attempts to reorganise into a more attacking formation by bringing back Rooney and introducing the various subs just seemed random and we have lots of players mulling around up field but I have little to no idea where they are meant to be playing. It's the same every week. I am so confused by what we are trying to do and the players all look confused by it too. 

When you're at the game you can at least shout, encourage, cajole and wheedle the players. It feels like you're helping (even if it's only in your mind.) Sitting here at home it is just soul destroying. 

As @Kernow says, we have such a lot to deal with in our lives right now that a woefully out-of-sorts football team is a heartache too many. ?

If Rooney had any dignity he'd ask to be benched.

He's been our worst player every game, he just doesn't work in this side, he's slow and unfit, and his body language is appalling.

If there's some clause in his contract insisting he plays the club need to pay whatever it takes to scrap it.

If there's no clause then Cocu has clearly lost the plot. Playing Rooney every week should be a sackable offence wherever we are in the table.

Just now, falconram said:

I know he is but he isn't mobile enough at the moment, I'm just saying those two got dropped for goals were the forward was allowed to come inside and did close down, hence since then they have been left out. If you do that to them you do it to the other, be consistent in picking a team, errors happen, Wisdom should never have been dropped

I agree Wisdom and Clarke was our most consistent pairing last season.

11 minutes ago, TomG said:

Does everyone think that Cocu should resign?  Personally, I think that he should do the honourable thing and go.  If he has a modicum of respect for our club, then he should resign!

Why should the manager walk away from his contract? 

The players would certainly never make that sacrifice, even when some of them get pissed up and arrested, as well as steal a living on the pitch.

5 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

The last few performances have been abysmal, utterly abysmal. I so wanted it to work for Cocu, but I think that’s it. I think he has been our unluckiest manager ever, literally nothing has gone right from him. I do think the problems go beyond the management though. 

I still wonder if Rooney was Cocu’s choice, seems more a marketing gimmick to me to sell the club. It seems to have worked but at what cost? Rooney, Lawrence and Waghorn were complete passengers today. 

Lawrence should have been got rid of with keogh  and Bennett 

10 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

I think 90% of fans agree on Cocu now. The players need to have a look at themselves, the last 2 performances have been of a team that want their manager gone. No passion, no heart. Unacceptable at all levels as the only real losers are us the fans. 

Absolutely bang on mate , some of the players ought to have a damn good look at themselves after the last two games , whether they agee with team selection , tactics , subs etc they should still play for their own professional pride , i dont want to hear one of them say they feel for the fans because thats not true , some of them couldnt give a toss about us , shameful Derby County

Why did we sign that number 32?

He showed no hunger for the ball and seemed to expect it to just come to hi and then lay it straight off to someone else.

He was about as inspiring to the younger players as I would have been.

About as ornamental too!

I used to quite like him as a player alongside Ronaldo but not since then!

Only another 35 league games to go!

22 minutes ago, neil62uk said:

Wait until Lawrence is back 

Wait until Waghorn is back 

Wait until Beileik is back 

Well there back and it's the same 

pathetic , inept , dire performance 

I was one of the ones saying the above. I did genuinely believe that the lack of those players in the first few games was a massive factor in our hugely poor start. Whilst I still believe had they been available from the start we may have faired better, I now hold my hands up and say that I was wrong.

I just can’t fathom why we still persevere with the tactic of slow controlled build up play from the back as it clearly does nothing for us. I thought when we had the likes of Jozwiak, Lawrence, Waghorn, Bielik and eventually Ibe back that we would play to there strengths, moving the ball quickly with a higher tempo and using their attacking threat to get at teams. 
Today we had over 70% possession, 9 shots and only 3 on target and no goals. Barnsley managed 17 shots and 2 goals with only 29% possession.
It doesn’t take a footballing genius to work out the tactics and style of play are not working and I can’t for the life of me understand why the management would stick to their guns on this philosophy so stubbornly.

I really, really wanted Cocu to be given time to make it work and get this team going but I’m afraid it’s now time for him to go. ☹️

Archived