Derby County v Barnsley: Matchday Thread

Rampant

18 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

He gets singled out because he’s on probably double the money the next best played player is on. 

He should have this division on strings based on the money we’re allegedly paying him. 

I understand singling him out because of his wages but I was talking about purely how he played on the pitch. He did have the division on strings at times last season and I think he could still if utilized correctly.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree if we don't kick ourselves up the ar5e soon we are relegation bound on form.  We do however have some bloody good players more than capable of fixing this.  It needs new leadership, and a change to a much more direct & attacking, less pretty even, style of play. The Championship is not a league to spend 70% of the time passing it around in your own half. May be the Dutch way, it's now how games are won here.  The new owners may already have someone in mind but wait any longer and we are really in the do-do. Get rid of Cocu & Co now and this may be all that's needed to change our mind-set and belief.  Dare I say Rooney is part of the problem too (and yes I was one of those dead excited at his joining).  I've watched 2 or 3 of the U23 games recently (which is rare for me) and there is no comparison. Aggressive. Direct. Attack-minded. Passionate. Clinical... are a few words I simply can't use for our so called 1st team. 

I saw some good performances today. Knight(as usual), Byrne (put in lots of crosses and tackles too), Buchanan (great energy, tackles,headers etc) I’ve been drinking so I might be wrong but why was Rooney dropping so deep in the first half when we already had three centre backs? Surely that defeats the whole idea of the system. Then he brings Clarke off who was one of the only players making forward runs. Then when you think Rooney will come off, who at this point is sitting really deep and keeps giving the ball away, he brings off one of the players with the most energy on the pitch. 

if Rooney had to be played due to his sponsor then surely Morris is to blame and not cocu. We played well without Rooney. He’s got no energy whatsoever and that is the bare minimum you need at this level. Playing with ten men every game doesn’t work 

I think today probably spells the end.

Dont think there was too much wrong with tactics today.

Got into enough good positions but the decision making in the final 3rd is appalling, that doesnt fall at Cocu's door.

Have to admit that I do find it funny seeing some fans reactions on here. Some of them have very short memories.

It isnt that long ago some of them were moaning, when Rowett had us in the play offs, that we didnt have enough possession and that we should be looking for a foreign manager...sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

Well we were undone today by 3 bad decisions.

1)Leaving Joswiak on the bench - it ought to be a criminal offence when you have no-one else capable of unlocking a defence. 

2) Lawrence not shooting first time with the first chance he got, because he had a clear sight of goal

3) the Marshall howler. But the poor guy was bound to hit a bad pass eventually given the amount of times he sets an attack going only to get the ball zinging back at him seconds later. But in reality. the poor decision is the one that insists that we fanny about at the back building up slowly, or eventually.

Actually, until the first goal went in we were playing ok, apart from the final third, but as virtually always happens now, one goal is game over. I noticed Rooney moved deeper, letting Knight go further forwards, and wondered if his legs had gone - at 35 he should n't be playing up front, and then one pass he gave he took a few steps rather gingerly, so maybe had pulled a muscle. But still he played on, and made several poor passes. And as per Wednesday night he was somewhat of a lonesome soul. 

Given that many people thought that Beilik wasn't match fit and would struggle, he actually played well. Good to have him back. I also thought the ref started out ok, apart from the usual ignoring of Bransley's rather rumbustious interpretation of the games rules, but someone managed to sneak onto the pitch and give him his twit injection. Hence the free kick against Matt Clarke when there was virtually no contact with the Barnsley goalkeeper, then giving a very harsh card to Joswiak when the defender's dive made sure there was even less contact than for the Clarke foul. I knew that Joswiak had to watch himself because he gave the ref loads of stick, and was apoplectic after yet another multiple wresting match which prevented him breaking through  into the area. there was an appropriate yellow card, but this is all a side issue, of course.

We did press and harry them when we lost the ball, but Barnsley gave us an excellent demonstration of pressing in all the right places. And their energy and commitment was remarkable. I expected them to tire after about 60 or 70 minutes and we would be able to pick them off at the end, but they were still going flat out at 90 minutes. Were you watching, Derby County?

So where from here?

I have no idea! There is one bonus though. My daughter is having to self-isolate courtesy of a selfish co-worker, but can't afford the £10 a match charge for Rams TV. So I paid up and then relayed the match via a phone and Facetime. Worked well, and meant it was only £5 each for the match. Still expensive, mind!

11 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Well we were undone today by 3 bad decisions.

1)Leaving Joswiak on the bench - it ought to be a criminal offence when you have no-one else capable of unlocking a defence. 

2) Lawrence not shooting first time with the first chance he got, because he had a clear sight of goal

3) the Marshall howler. But the poor guy was bound to hit a bad pass eventually given the amount of times he sets an attack going only to get the ball zinging back at him seconds later. But in reality. the poor decision is the one that insists that we fanny about at the back building up slowly, or eventually.

Actually, until the first goal went in we were playing ok, apart from the final third, but as virtually always happens now, one goal is game over. I noticed Rooney moved deeper, letting Knight go further forwards, and wondered if his legs had gone - at 35 he should n't be playing up front, and then one pass he gave he took a few steps rather gingerly, so maybe had pulled a muscle. But still he played on, and made several poor passes. And as per Wednesday night he was somewhat of a lonesome soul. 

Given that many people thought that Beilik wasn't match fit and would struggle, he actually played well. Good to have him back. I also thought the ref started out ok, apart from the usual ignoring of Bransley's rather rumbustious interpretation of the games rules, but someone managed to sneak onto the pitch and give him his twit injection. Hence the free kick against Matt Clarke when there was virtually no contact with the Barnsley goalkeeper, then giving a very harsh card to Joswiak when the defender's dive made sure there was even less contact than for the Clarke foul. I knew that Joswiak had to watch himself because he gave the ref loads of stick, and was apoplectic after yet another multiple wresting match which prevented him breaking through  into the area. there was an appropriate yellow card, but this is all a side issue, of course.

We did press and harry them when we lost the ball, but Barnsley gave us an excellent demonstration of pressing in all the right places. And their energy and commitment was remarkable. I expected them to tire after about 60 or 70 minutes and we would be able to pick them off at the end, but they were still going flat out at 90 minutes. Were you watching, Derby County?

So where from here?

I have no idea! There is one bonus though. My daughter is having to self-isolate courtesy of a selfish co-worker, but can't afford the £10 a match charge for Rams TV. So I paid up and then relayed the match via a phone and Facetime. Worked well, and meant it was only £5 each for the match. Still expensive, mind!

PS I didn't put "twit" injection. Thanks. So Facebook isn't the only site that has a fact-checker that gets it wrong.

2 hours ago, DCFClks said:

I think Waghorn and Lawrence have the ability to be top Championship players. Look at the seasons they both had before we signed them. No one has been able to get the best out of them since they've been here

Waghorn's been consistent since joining and Lawrence had his best ever return in front of goal last season.

I must admit I find some of the criticism odd. He’s getting accused of defensive football and playing it around at the back. 
i don’t think either of those criticisms was valid today.

We attacked. We had good possession. But.....we had ineffective attackers.

Sometimes Waghorn looks like a strong powerful striker. At other times he looks as clumsy as Connor sammon. Rooney just doesn’t fit in, and - presumably due to fatigue - he can’t even beat the first man from a corner in the second half. Lawrence is going through one of his totally useless phases.

Things improved when we brought on jozwiak and Sibley. We dominated thereafter and just got caught by a counter attack and a good shot. 

we were a bit unlucky. But we created very little and therefore we deserved nothing.

ultimately cocu has shown great faith in Lawrence. He seems to comply with a hypothetical requirement to pick Rooney, no matter what. And Waghorn is only central striker to survive from the inherited squad. So he has made his own bed of nails. 

2 hours ago, Russell Ram said:

Does anyone think we are actually in danger of going down? I think we are in trouble, more than a change of manager might help. So I suppose I blame the players too and I have lost confidence in them.

Errr, yes, yes I think we are in danger. Have you seen the table? I'm not convinced Cocu will be sacked and if not then we're really screwed. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Errr, yes, yes I think we are in danger. Have you seen the table? I'm not convinced Cocu will be sacked and if not then we're really screwed. 

Agree. The squad isn’t bottom 3 material. It’s a damning indictment on Cocu that we’re rock bottom and deservedly so.

Halfway decent manager gets this squad to mid table, particularly with one or two January additions.

11 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I must admit I find some of the criticism odd. He’s getting accused of defensive football and playing it around at the back. 

Sometimes Waghorn looks like a strong powerful striker. At other times he looks as clumsy as Connor sammon. Rooney just doesn’t fit in, and - presumably due to fatigue - he can’t even beat the first man from a corner in the second half. Lawrence is going through one of his totally useless phases.

Things improved when we brought on jozwiak and Sibley. We dominated thereafter and just got caught by a counter attack and a good shot. 

we were a bit unlucky. But we created very little and therefore we deserved nothing.

ultimately cocu has shown great faith in Lawrence. He seems to comply with a hypothetical requirement to pick Rooney, no matter what. And Waghorn is only central striker to survive from the inherited squad. So he has made his own bed of nails. 

Agree with all of this except Rooney. Second half he was playing some lovely ball through to our forwards who repeatedly wasted any opportunity. Rooney isn't the problem as long as he plays as he did second half. 

3 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

No I agree, and I don’t think the management team is entirely blameless here but after watching today I’m not convinced it’s a management issue. Also I’m sure many will be saying it’s all on Cocu on not mention the players, which is certainly not how I’ve read the last two games. 

I agree with you 100%, I do think though that Shinnie had a very poor game, he made 1 good pass and then after that he was dog poo, moves continuously breaking down through him or Waggy/Lawrence. I have said for a while Waggy is not a CF and Lawrence is a 1 in 5 good game player, he annoys the crap out of me with his laziness when we don't have possession.

Last season when Rooney arrived he was the best thing since sliced bread, everything he touched was gold. Now he does do some good stuff but also makes some crap passes too, I am not buying this he is the reason for us being crap or that he should retire, maybe he is an impact player now from the bench but there are at least 3 players on that pitch today who didn't make half the effort he did.

17 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Well the critisism about playing the ball around back is justified because that is how we conceded the first goal and having 70% possesion with three shots on goal is considered defensive football. Nothing wrong with critisism about that in my mind. I do agree that our attackers were inneffective though.

It’s time t move cocu on ,we can’t afford not to as he will take us down , seems to me a policy developing that if you are the best player on the pitch in a game the prize is a good rest on the bench for the next game , it’s all got very bizarre 

3 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

I don't want him getting off the hook either - he was brought in to be an advisor to Cocu who knew this league. I suspect some of the signings might have been his recommendation too. 

I tend to agree. To be fair, LR seemed to acknowledge that the coaching team are collectively responsible, so he's not hiding. Probably academic in any case. The new owners will no doubt want a total overhaul of the club. For better or worse......

5 hours ago, Lander said:

Rosenior: "I hold my hands up to my part in it."

What was his part in it?

I keep hearing staff and players saying that it's not good enough, and they need to work harder, and so on.

But, do any of them ever say what it is that they've been getting wrong, and what they will be changing?

I don't particularly want them to work harder at getting things wrong!

Archived