Derby County v Barnsley: Matchday Thread

Rampant

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

We were dominant after jozwiak and Sibley were on. But the final ball from the wing backs wasn’t good enough, and we had the usual wrong footedness on the flanks. Jozwiak disappeared on the left. Waghorn had one great opportunity to cross but had to drag it onto his left and play across the box instead of delivering a killer ball. 
lawrence produced nothing. Rooney couldn’t play up front. A lot of Hollywood passes but all to no effect. 

It didn't help that by the point other players were beginning to tire and Barnsley were set up to defend and hit us on the break. So little space to work in. 

We needed to have more confidence in selection from the start today and play players who actually want and are comfortable on the ball.

Jozwiak not starting today was criminal.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

We needed 4 points and a couple of performances this week from two very very winnable home games. To subside to a pair of defeats, without scoring or in fairness ever looking like scoring, is a low point since relegation. We've got the worst side since the very early 1980s, and without serious signings in January we WILL get relegated, and by a very wide margin.

Cocu should resign, tonight. His staff should go too.

If he hasn't got the decency to do so, Mel must sack him. 

If he can't because he's bound by the deal with the arab, he should say so and resign himself.

Rooney should retire immediately, he's physically unable to compete in professional football any longer.

The youngsters get a pass, but the senior pros at Derby should apologise and explain themselves publicly.

Our team is easily capable of top 6 finish. The signings we need to make aren't players.  

2 minutes ago, Dean Saunder’s hat trick said:

I was one of the ones saying the above. I did genuinely believe that lack of those players in the first few games was a massive factor in our hugely poor start. Whilst I still believe had they been available from the start we may have faired better, I now hold my hands up and say that I was wrong.

I just can’t fathom why we still persevere with the tactic of slow controlled build up play from the back as it clearly does nothing for us. I thought when we had the likes of Jozwiak, Lawrence, Waghorn, Bielik and eventually Ibe back that we would play to there strengths, moving the ball quickly with a higher tempo and using their attacking threat to get at teams. 
Today we had over 70% possession, 9 shots and only 3 on target and no goals. Barnsley managed 17 shots and 2 goals with only 29% possession. It doesn’t take a footballing genius to work out the tactics and style of play are not working and I can’t for the life of me understand why the management would stick to their guns on this philosophy so stubbornly. I really, really wanted Cocu to be given time to make it work and get this team going but I’m afraid it’s not time for him to go. ☹️

Please tell me that's a typo

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

Well, back to the safety first formation, which worked to some extent in that we looked quite bright and even had a couple of shots, until the defensive mistake. Then it all just unravels as once again we are chasing a game against a team adept at sitting in and playing on the break.

After that, our attempts to reorganise into a more attacking formation by bringing back Rooney and introducing the various subs just seemed random and we have lots of players mulling around up field but I have little to no idea where they are meant to be playing. It's the same every week. I am so confused by what we are trying to do and the players all look confused by it too. 

When you're at the game you can at least shout, encourage, cajole and wheedle the players. It feels like you're helping (even if it's only in your mind.) Sitting here at home it is just soul destroying. 

As @Kernow says, we have such a lot to deal with in our lives right now that a woefully out-of-sorts football team is a heartache too many. ?

#giveittoangieram

6 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

If Rooney had any dignity he'd ask to be benched.

He's been our worst player every game, he just doesn't work in this side, he's slow and unfit, and his body language is appalling.

If there's some clause in his contract insisting he plays the club need to pay whatever it takes to scrap it.

If there's no clause then Cocu has clearly lost the plot. Playing Rooney every week should be a sackable offence wherever we are in the table.

Benched?

He shouldn’t be in the 16!

3 minutes ago, Dean Saunder’s hat trick said:

I was one of the ones saying the above. I did genuinely believe that the lack of those players in the first few games was a massive factor in our hugely poor start. Whilst I still believe had they been available from the start we may have faired better, I now hold my hands up and say that I was wrong.

I just can’t fathom why we still persevere with the tactic of slow controlled build up play from the back as it clearly does nothing for us. I thought when we had the likes of Jozwiak, Lawrence, Waghorn, Bielik and eventually Ibe back that we would play to there strengths, moving the ball quickly with a higher tempo and using their attacking threat to get at teams. 
Today we had over 70% possession, 9 shots and only 3 on target and no goals. Barnsley managed 17 shots and 2 goals with only 29% possession.
It doesn’t take a footballing genius to work out the tactics and style of play are not working and I can’t for the life of me understand why the management would stick to their guns on this philosophy so stubbornly.

I really, really wanted Cocu to be given time to make it work and get this team going but I’m afraid it’s now time for him to go. ☹️

This should be a sobering post for any of us who supported Cocu staying and for those who believe (I seriously struggle to see who can) he should still be given time.

6 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

They aren't even playing for themselves or eachother. Cocu will be gone. No complaints. But this is also unacceptable from the players.

Even though it's wrong, most footballers aren't like Curtis Davies, they won't give 100% every game regardless of how well it's going. Most footballers are entitled with big egos and it's up to the manager to get them on side. It's wrong but that's the way it is. It's the same at every club. I don't think any clubs players would be giving 100% when the coaches have tried many different setups and they've all failed. 

Thought we were massively let down by Lawrence and Waghorn today as we were on Wednesday. Any positivity or zip in our play seems to break down around them due to poor choices being made over and over.

Today I saw defenders battle, the midfield working hard at the pushing the play further up the pitch, Buchanan getting into good positions and getting good crosses in,  Jozwiak turning players and looking to be positive. I had no issue with our style and how we went about the game. But it kept breaking down around individuals, so we lost momentum and the ball kept coming back into our half. Similar to Wednesday if I’m honest and why I’m saying the issue is with the players (and I don’t like digging individuals out but it’s the attackers who are letting us down right now) and not necessarily the management. If you can’t place a pass in front of your own player rather than behind him, like Waghorn did to Sibley for his shot in the second half, then you have to ask serious questions. 

Marshall is needing to make too many saves, our defenders are having to defend too much and our attackers aren’t attacking enough because they aren’t doing enough.

Feel hugely let down by some individual performances the last two games

Archived