Derby County v Barnsley: Matchday Thread

Rampant

I don't want to sound like Roy Mac or KashaMartindingdong  but who can honestly say we don't miss Martin now? Our recruitment was ducking piss poor in the summer, letting Martin go who was the lynchpin of our attacks without adequate replacement was criminal. I remember sitting on the back of a bus in sunny France being sadenned to hear about the breaking news that Martin was leaving little did I know that, Martin leaving combined with injuries and poor management would lead to where we are now. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

The problems at the tail end of last season are not really the same as now, nor are they really the same as the start of this season. 

It's less a car crash and more your car has broken down so rather than being patient and waiting for the AA you aim to walk the rest of the way through forested land and die from exposure.

except the car started breaking down after the first game of last season. 

1 minute ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I don't want to sound like Roy Mac or KashaMartindingdong  but who can honestly say we don't miss Martin now? Our recruitment was ducking piss poor in the summer, letting Martin go who the lynchpin of our attacks without adequate replacement was criminal. 

When was our recruitment any good?

11 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

He got more out of them than anyone else has, but I still think they could be even better. Lawrence was almost unplayable at times when he was at Ipswich. Imagine how good he would have been in a Mac team.

Lawrence had his best season for us last season. Not by much. But still.

13 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

Dont this Waghorn is going to improve at his age.  Lawrence had one consistent season at Ipswich.  Lampard at least unified the team/players. Everybody leaving now is glad to get out.

Waghorn doesn't need to improve, he just needs to play to his best ability. He already proved his quality during his time at Ipswich 

Rosenior - "At the moment we're not getting results, I can only apologise and I hold my hands up to my part in it, and hopefully we all get the chance to rectify that."

Sounds like he's doubting whether they will get a chance to rectify it, so I suspect he knows.

1 minute ago, Russell Ram said:

Does anyone think we are actually in danger of going down? I think we are in trouble, more than a change of manager might help. So I suppose I blame the players too and I have lost confidence in them.

We are currently the worst team in the league so unfortunately we are definitely in danger of going down. We need points quickly. I don't see us getting them playing Waghorn centre forward.

3 minutes ago, Russell Ram said:

Does anyone think we are actually in danger of going down? I think we are in trouble, more than a change of manager might help. So I suppose I blame the players too and I have lost confidence in them.

Yes we definitely are. I don’t think we will but we don’t have the stomach for the fight. Needs a massive adjustment in attitude and effort

6 minutes ago, Russell Ram said:

On current form we are the most likely team to get relegated.

5 minutes ago, Lander said:

Rosenior - "At the moment we're not getting results, I can only apologise and I hold my hands up to my part in it, and hopefully we all get the chance to rectify that."

Sounds like he's doubting whether they will get a chance to rectify it, so I suspect he knows.

I don't want him getting off the hook either - he was brought in to be an advisor to Cocu who knew this league. I suspect some of the signings might have been his recommendation too. 

4 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Lawrence had his best season for us last season. Not by much. But still.

I think all our best players are suited to playing counter-attacking football. Waghorn/Lawrence/Jozwiak/Holmes are all at there best when they have space to run into. I honestly think Lawrence has the natural ability to have a shot at the Premier League. If I was him I'd be looking at leaving the club as soon as possible if we continue playing this slow buildup style. He's wasting his career playing this way.

47 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I think Rooney's getting an unfair amount of the blame. Yes he's been bad but he gets singled out because he's the most visible player on the pitch. At least he's actually willing to get on the ball and try something. Waghorn and Lawrence offered nothing today. Rooney's best position is clearly deep midfield and was excellent last season there. I agree he shouldn't be playing in the 3-4-3 team but I still think he'd be a brilliant player for us if we had a manager who knew how to utilize him correctly. 

He gets singled out because he’s on probably double the money the next best played player is on. 

He should have this division on strings based on the money we’re allegedly paying him. 

11 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Waghorn doesn't need to improve, he just needs to play to his best ability. He already proved his quality during his time at Ipswich 

Exactly a non top 6 side.  He is too inconsistent and you have had to go back 3 seasons to try to demonstrate your point.

18 minutes ago, Russell Ram said:

it could all change with a new manager BUT currently we are at risk of going down.  Our form over the last 17 would put is in the bottom 3 thats over a 1/3 of a season.

8 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

Exactly a non top 6 side.  He is too inconsistent and you have had to go back 3 seasons to try to demonstrate your point.

players can be "top six" quality without being in a "top six" team. He got 16 goals and 11 assists that season playing RW/RS. I get your point that it was 3 seasons ago but that's still an amazing season. He's now being asked to be a hold up striker which isn't his game at all.

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I know it's irrelevant but you're wrong. Only Wilson was an international out of the three. Clarke is as international as Tomori was. Jozwiak has as much international as Wilson. Knight is currently more experienced internationally than Mount was!

Quality is what you should've focused on, not the wrong information about international experience lol

As a side note, does anyone know the lowest point record for the Championship?

I think it's still that 23 points that Rotherham got a few years ago. We can't even break records properly now though - we'd get more points than that if our points per game stays the same.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

We don't look like we'll ever score a goal. There's a claim we don't have a natural centre forward. At the same time we have the Premier League 2 top scorer in the U23s. Jack Stretton had at least earnt a place on the bench today instead of playing for the U23s yesterday, scoring one and assisting another. 

We seem to have given up on youth. Whittaker used to smash them in for the U23s as well, but he's dropped out of the squad altogether after being given barely any playing time for months. 

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Did I miss mac3?

Bugger.

Mac has been here 4 times already. This would be Mac5.

23 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I think all our best players are suited to playing counter-attacking football. Waghorn/Lawrence/Jozwiak/Holmes are all at there best when they have space to run into. I honestly think Lawrence has the natural ability to have a shot at the Premier League. If I was him I'd be looking at leaving the club as soon as possible if we continue playing this slow buildup style. He's wasting his career playing this way.

Correct he is undoubtedly better in a good side, just he is not good enough to get in a good side

Archived