Derby County v QPR Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

My biggest issue is still a lack of options forward. At the moment we have two midfielders and a heavy forward up top.

Why wasn’t a new forward top priority from the start of the transfer window? 
Especially since Chris Martin left. And Waghorn had a long term injury.....Then we let Marriott go.

I mean we have actually played games this season without a forward on the pitch!!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I’ve felt the shift tonight, had a right bloody go of it with 3-4-3, fought really hard in some games and we’re unlucky not to win at least two of the Forest/Cardiff/Bournemouth run. Players looked like they believed and were playing for their manager, particularly in the Forest game where we were robbed. Switched it up tonight but the team looked dead on their feet. Players out of position, bizarre tactically and no discernible style of attacking play.

He didn’t deserve all the negativity and pressure he’s had this season from the likes of you, considering how ducking unlucky and just tough his time as manager’s been but 10 games into the season with our record suggests something is seriously wrong. This team is better than this.

Rooney shoulders some of the blame too. He was inspirational pre-lockdown and has come back unfit/unmotivated. For a player of that stature in the championship it’s shameful. I do think the pandemic was one hurdle too many for Cocu, we lost our home advantage and his captain. Gone from Pride Park being a fortress to QPR coming in and winning on a night like this without doing anything special

If I feel beaten down and depressed, god knows how Phil must feel. 

Just to be clear, I’ve been one of the supporters calling for calm and to give Cocu time. No negativity or pressure from me. Unsure whether that was a typo or a misplaced jibe at me!

18 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

What was said? 

Uncomfortable and vague - hollow positivity - almost like trying to defend a position that is materially so poor that everyone realises the game is up - sad really 

12 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

Put RD straight on after the game and Eric Steele absolutely dismantled Cocu’s approach to this game with his analysis. He was very critical of the players but scathing about Cocu’s tactics, selections and substitutions.

He was absolutely bang on with his summary and assessment as per normal ?

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

What was Eric's answer? 

He gave his view on why we didn’t retain the press we saw in the previous game, didn’t agree with the change of formation, disagreed with taking Rooney off  as he can be a match winner, would have retained players with a more attacking threat on the pitch as well as bringing on attack minded players (and to be fair he’s been part of a management team who did exactly that) and completely disagreed with Cocu’s view that it was a good second half performance. That’s my recollection might not be perfect, I’m not sure if you can listen again on iPlayer.

40 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

Wassell short term to get the best back from the young players he knows and instil the belief and style they do possess. It can’t get any worse literally 

If we change, Wassell feels the obvious choice if I'm honest.

"You try to find a balance between not opening up too much [defensively], but we also play to win the game. The more the game progressed, the more we went forward, but I don’t think the team deserves the defeat."

he just watches different games to me im afraid...

1 minute ago, Orphanram said:

He gave his view on why we didn’t retain the press we saw in the previous game, didn’t agree with the change of formation, disagreed with taking Rooney off  as he can be a match winner, would have retained players with a more attacking threat on the pitch as well as bringing on attack minded players (and to be fair he’s been part of a management team who did exactly that) and completely disagreed with Cocu’s view that it was a good second half performance. That’s my recollection might not be perfect, I’m not sure if you can listen again on iPlayer.

Sounds a reasonable summary tbf

Although....the bit about formation was also debated on these boards and a consensus view was that ultimately we needed to get back to a 433 to carry more of a goal threat as with the 343 we "never" looked like scoring more than 1 and the tactics (if they were deliberate at all) of playing well, scoring, then trying to defend were risible.

So i suppose Cocu took a gamble and moved to a 433 tonight. But because we don't have Bielik as the CDM he ends up playing both Rooney and Shinnie in the midfield 3 and it all unravelled from there........

Plus of course the abject performances from the players.

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Whist i think there's more wrong than Cocu right now, he's not getting it right. The whole thing just makes me sad.

Also, wash your hands everybody, me and my better have been sick with 'rona - you don't want this thing. It gives you the squits real bad as well.

Sorry to read, hope you are both on the mend matey 

39 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

He will be fine. Completely out of his depth in this league. Will go back to Holland blaming all and accepting no responsibility 

Yeah, you’re right, the eternally classy and humble Phillip Cocu will turn into Billy Davies overnight.

the blokes been dealt the toughest hand I’ve seen a manager get at this club in my lifetime and you’re going to act like he’s some fraud because he didn’t get us up, get a grip. What on earth have you seen from him that makes you think he’d act like that? More likely that’s what you’d do in his position.

The bloke’s won multiple league titles at a huge club and played for ducking Barcelona, second tier Derby County won’t affect his legacy.

This was a particularly hard result to take. Cocu really needed this and honestly nothing kills my spirit than another managerial change. All he needed to do was keep us out of the bottom three and win a couple of games, literally one more win would have kept him in a job at this point. It's not like we're asking for the world. 

We have the team currently sat at the very top of the academy football pyramid, with the top goalscorer (may I add) and our first team would be BOTTOM of the second division had it not been for a point deduction with almost no goals from open play to show for 10 games. 

When you watch the games, it's clearly not an ability issue with the team. Today was bad viewing, but we have a very solid squad with regards to technical footballers. It's the managers job to put the players in the best positions in order to create and score goals. He has more than enough ability at his disposal to put together a winning team - it's not even close to being in question. 

It's tough. It's been a horrible year and if you're a Derby fan then this really won't help. I'm nearly in my 30s and nothing ruins my mood than a Derby County loss. We've had far too many of them throughout 2020. 

Archived