Jump to content

Abu Derby County


tinman
 Share

Recommended Posts

Can we please draw a distinction between sports coverage in newspapers and the newspaper's editorial stance / news coverage.

Whilst I loath the daily mail's editorial stance and news coverage, I don't have any issue with their sports coverage, or the sports coverage of any of the major newspapers really. But you know what, I choose not to buy the mail or use their website. "It's awful and you should be very angry about it" is just the daily mail house style, it gets them clicks and sells them papers.

It's not like the guardian or the mirror are full of "DCFC is great" stories.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/02/2021 at 19:04, Jimbo Ram said:

Awful paper, even supported the Nazis, no longer seen as a worthy news source by wiki, other than that a fine newspaper 😁

The Guardian supported the Confederacy in the American Civil War, declared Lincoln's Proclamation of Emancipation "abhorrent" and revelled in Lincoln's assassination. Every UK newspaper has good and bad elements, both in what they publish today and going back through their history. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The Guardian supported the Confederacy in the American Civil War, declared Lincoln's Proclamation of Emancipation "abhorrent" and revelled in Lincoln's assassination. Every UK newspaper has good and bad elements, both in what they publish today and going back through their history. 

But the Fail is the worst of them all.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The Guardian supported the Confederacy in the American Civil War, declared Lincoln's Proclamation of Emancipation "abhorrent" and revelled in Lincoln's assassination. Every UK newspaper has good and bad elements, both in what they publish today and going back through their history. 

I can't find any direct link to The Guardian calling the Proclamation of Emancipation "abhorrent"; they used that term about Lincoln's time as President after he was assassinated because they were bizarrely anti-Lincoln. The background to why  The Guardian supported the South's right to secede can be found in an opinion piece from 10 years ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/feb/24/1865-guardian-stance-us-civil-war

Undoubtedly wrong headed by today's standards, although Britain as a whole stayed neutral in the American Civil War, so the stance wasn't unusual for the time. The only place I could find a link to The Guardian calling the Proclamation of Emancipation "abhorrent" was a misleading Guido Fawkes hatchet job, which linked to a letter sent to The Guardian in 2008 to get its quote.

Anyway, about that takeover......

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/02/2021 at 19:50, Abu Derby said:

You will find that most newspapers have had infamous episodes and have skeletons in their cupboards. 
Time will tell if the Daily Mail are correct this time around. 

 

16 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The Guardian supported the Confederacy in the American Civil War, declared Lincoln's Proclamation of Emancipation "abhorrent" and revelled in Lincoln's assassination. Every UK newspaper has good and bad elements, both in what they publish today and going back through their history. 

Hmmm... Supporting a syphilis addled, genocidal maniac's quest for world domination resulting in 450,000 British casualties, is rather more of a 'faux pas' than thinking Lincoln was a bit too progressive, don't you think? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Newcastle  fail in high court  bid to remove chief arbiter in hearing over club takeover. They are disappointed and may consider an appeal, according to Sky. Not quite sure what that means.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Newcastle  fail in high court  bid to remove chief arbiter in hearing over club takeover. They are disappointed and may consider an appeal, according to Sky. Not quite sure what that means.

Are they on about 'OUR' Sheikh ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Newcastle  fail in high court  bid to remove chief arbiter in hearing over club takeover. They are disappointed and may consider an appeal, according to Sky. Not quite sure what that means.

It means absolutely nothing. It is about the Saudi takeover, nothing to do with BZI. 

22 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Are they on about 'OUR' Sheikh ?

No. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/03/2021 at 15:25, Olton Ram said:

I can't find any direct link to The Guardian calling the Proclamation of Emancipation "abhorrent"; they used that term about Lincoln's time as President after he was assassinated because they were bizarrely anti-Lincoln. The background to why  The Guardian supported the South's right to secede can be found in an opinion piece from 10 years ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/feb/24/1865-guardian-stance-us-civil-war

Undoubtedly wrong headed by today's standards, although Britain as a whole stayed neutral in the American Civil War, so the stance wasn't unusual for the time. The only place I could find a link to The Guardian calling the Proclamation of Emancipation "abhorrent" was a misleading Guido Fawkes hatchet job, which linked to a letter sent to The Guardian in 2008 to get its quote.

Anyway, about that takeover......

 

Great posts. We have everything on this forum and it is the diversity of opinion that makes it interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.