Abu Derby County

tinman

The Guardian? sport? nah,  well Met a racey widow in their online dating service some years ago who left me lying as an amorphus heap .... cheered me up after a divorce so from that point of view I think its great, otherwise its full of soft shoe shufflers...

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ariotofmyown said:

Regardless of your political opinions, surely papers like Guardian, Times or Telegraph are miles ahead of the tabloid trash.

I agree - I much prefer to look at the guardian and the times for sport. At least a bit of effort goes into their stories. 

36 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

...sold Pride Park to Morris for a reported £80m and leased the property back from him for £40m.
It was actually sold for £81m (£40m profit) and leased back at £1.1m per year. I can excuse the £80m rounding, but he's made up the £40m lease as far as I can tell

The article drums up the significance of Gabay and tries to downplay the fact the club have stated the outstanding charge with Gabay's company is actually a land Registry error. 

But with the debts piling up.
The only evidence available to the public suggests it's not cub debt. Either another of Mel's companies owes the club money (for the stadium), or Mel/another company owes MSD money for a loan which was used to pay the money owed for the stadium?

“Literally every day is spent trying to work out how to improve our situation,” he said.
Seems to be taken out of context to me. The article makes it sound like a financial situation, whereas reality is Mel was referring to  getting the takeover completed.

I'm really busy at present and haven't got time to check myself, but when did Mel buy 22% - was it really after Wembley? When did he complete hi takeover? Also who are North American Ownership? It's been denied that the MSD loan is £30m - probably closer to £15m. I believe that the Gabay charge is registered at Companies House though.

I like the Guardian, but at first glance that article looks to be full of mistakes.

1 hour ago, oldtimeram said:

From reading that article it seems as if our owner has dropped us well and truly in the brown stuff.  I think we all knew that anyway.

The sooner he's gone the better

Be careful what you wish for, and maybe spend over £100m of your money in a genuine attempt to help the club before you slag off Mel Morris.

23 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Be careful what you wish for, and maybe spend over £100m of your money in a genuine attempt to help the club before you slag off Mel Morris.

Be careful what you wish for? I wouldn’t have wished for my club to be penniless, flogging off academy youngsters for peanuts to pay the bills month to month, not owning our own ground, owing loans to all and sundry and having a team of piss poor quality fighting to avoid the bottom three. None of that was going on before Mel Morris took over.  

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

I'm really busy at present and haven't got time to check myself, but when did Mel buy 22% - was it really after Wembley? When did he complete hi takeover?

I skimmed past that bit. I recall Mel having that 'bet' on the QPR final.  Offering to buy the club for a fee halfway between what the club would have been worth if still in the Championship vs in the PL. It would have taken a few months for everything to go through, but he was essentially the owner on the day of the Final. Bought his 22% earlier in that season.

Also who are North American Ownership?

Potential owners who emerged when the Sheikh issues came to light.

It's been denied that the MSD loan is £30m - probably closer to £15m.

Forgot about that

I believe that the Gabay charge is registered at Companies House though.

The club claim that was repaid and it's still showing due to an error?

I like the Guardian, but at first glance that article looks to be full of mistakes.

It’s funny how people’s political bias shapes their interpretation of virtually everything.

If that article was printed word for word in the daily mail then it’s fairly likely that the left leaners who are saying nothing to see here guv would be screaming blue murder. Likewise the right leaners would have few complaints if the mail had published it. 

The thing is people seem to need to have good guys, bad guys, heroes, villains, axis of evil, leaders of free worlds, terrorists , freedom fighters and whatever else to define what they think about the world. The are a writers in the mail sports (and elsewhere for that matter) pages that are ardent left wingers. I’m sure the opposite will be true in left/liberal leaning papers but that doesn’t matter to people when they want to make a lazy reference that shows the world what they want to be seen as. Defining yourself against what’s written in a newspaper is daft and the only thing you could really accuse that Guardian article of is being about two weeks late. 

4 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Not your finest hour Tuff ?

Was what I wrote that bad?

I’ve read the guardian for years and always kinda understood that quite a few contributors support forest. It’s never bothered me, I kind of worked out that a lot it’s due to them growing up in the late eighties and early nineties and got attached to the enigma of Clough. I don’t think there’s any ‘vendetta’, I just thought it was worth pointing out and I was implying it was best ignored whilst having a playful jab.

But saying all that, theres nothing new in it anyway and for the club who are looking for stability on and off the pitch I think it’s an unhelpful article on the eve of a big match....AND THEY BLOODY WELL PLANNED IT BECAUSE THATLL PUT OFF ROONEY AND THE PLAYERS

(Im joking)

8 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

It’s funny how people’s political bias shapes their interpretation of virtually everything.

If that article was printed word for word in the daily mail then it’s fairly likely that the left leaners who are saying nothing to see here guv would be screaming blue murder. Likewise the right leaners would have few complaints if the mail had published it. 

The thing is people seem to need to have good guys, bad guys, heroes, villains, axis of evil, leaders of free worlds, terrorists , freedom fighters and whatever else to define what they think about the world. The are a writers in the mail sports (and elsewhere for that matter) pages that are ardent left wingers. I’m sure the opposite will be true in left/liberal leaning papers but that doesn’t matter to people when they want to make a lazy reference that shows the world what they want to be seen as. Defining yourself against what’s written in a newspaper is daft and the only thing you could really accuse that Guardian article of is being about two weeks late. 

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. If that article had been in the Telegraph or Times, I would have given it far more credibility than if was in the Mail or the Mirror.

I just tend to not believe things written in tabloids, whereas I believe broadsheets, even if they have certain political slants.

Also, the behaviour of tabloids is regularly disgusting, but I hope that broadsheets don't do the same.

13 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

Agree. If that article had been published in the Mail, the response on here would have been very different. 

29 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

Left leaning, right leaning it doesn’t matter. If they write anything negative against Derby just accuse them of being forest fans and move on. I’d presumed that was much easier 

Archived