Louie Sibley

Heisenberg

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ossieram said:

It seems to me like you are the font of all knowledge regarding DCFC.

Most of us know that things are tight cash wise, but the signing of Joswiak and the offer for Dursan show me that we're not in the desperate mess that you seem to think we are.

Mel and Pearson are bound to be worried about finances. No crowds, advertising revenue down, events at PP non exsistent, and not knowing when the government will be lifting restrictions. But that doesn't mean they are going to sell to the first bidder that comes along and sell the family jewellery off on the cheap.

image.jpeg.e7d6a85e805cb728dd38e723ba88f513.jpeg

27 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

No because it's not been all but confirmed they've leaked interest to force Norwich's hand with Cantwell, again leading me to believe our stance will (and always will have been) not to undervalue Sibley or sell him for less than he's worth

Also ''with no imminent resolution'', loans tends to get sorted quick and this'll likely be the case. You do seem to be adding a slightly negative slant to try reinforce your point we're somehow under pressure to sell Sibley cheap?

Loans tend to get sorted quickly?

Not necessarily. The clubs still have to agree any potential loan fees, the percentage of the wages payable, any potential future transfer clauses, recall clauses, playing time agreed, and so on.

Hasn’t it also been weeks since we were linked with Austin and Davis, which further suggests there’s no quick fix?

Don’t get me wrong, I hope you are right and Leeds’ interest amounts to nothing, I hope we don’t sell Sibley and if we do, I hope we get £15-20 million or more for him.

But history tells us the signs don’t look good.

Just now, Jourdan said:

Not necessarily. The clubs still have to agree any potential loan fees, the percentage of the wages payable, any potential future transfer clauses, recall clauses, playing time agreed, and so on.

Hasn’t it also been weeks since we were linked with Austin and Davis, which further suggests there’s no quick fix?

Don’t get me wrong, I hope you are right and Leeds’ interest amounts to nothing, I hope we don’t sell Sibley and if we do, I hope we get £15-20 million or more for him.

We need to wait until they both sign replacements, which will likely also determine which we get. It'll move quickly once this is sorted.

That last sentence is the bit I've been contesting though because it implies we haven't learned from our mistakes, when in contrast, what i've seen so far suggests we have. Mel made some very questionable decisions with transfers early on but our entire focus has shifted now and I think this has been our most progressive transfer window in a while.

As I say consider the opposite, with nothing we urgently need £10m+ for, why would we sell Sibley cheap?

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

ah but the only team we ever screw is weeds

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

We need to wait until they both sign replacements, which will likely also determine which we get. It'll move quickly once this is sorted.

As I say consider the opposite, with nothing we urgently need £10m+ for, why would we sell Sibley cheap?

OK, but just because we are unlikely to make any permanent signings doesn’t mean that we won’t need cash.

We could need it to fund any remaining transfer business and associated costs - wages, loan fees etc. Especially if we are negotiating with PL clubs who hold a position of power.

We could also need the cash to help with costs associated with running the club during this financial crisis.

Let’s see how this plays out. Maybe you are right and we have nothing to worry about.

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Interestingly I was just looking for a post to reply to with a couple of points and yours provided the perfect chance to ?

There's a lot of people on here who put 2 and 2 together and get a carrot stick - A lot of supposition and assumption based on next to nothing

Just because we've been 'linked' with someone doesn't mean it's true - Loads of rumours come out which turn out to have been made up or mis quoted or tenuous at best or agent talk or negotiation tactics or poor journalism - There are loads of reasons why there might be an article with a player and Derby County mentioned together which have no basis in reality

Secondly even if it is true it doesn't mean it's going to happen - We've seen a number of players turn down moves - Austin for example I suspect probably reckons he can still challenger for a Prem start - He knows other players in his position have gotten injured and there's a chance he could get some football at West Brom if they fail to bring anyone in - I quite like that he's prepared to fight for his place over there

That bring in my 3rd point - I've seen poor fees for Hughes and Bogle quoted as being reasons we'd get a poor deal for Sibley - Hughes left cos our manager didn't want him and he wanted to test himself in the PL - He gave us 3/4 years after being linked with a PL move to try and help us get there and it was only fair we give him chance to go - Had we sold him at 18 I reckon we'd have got more but he wanted to stay then - Bogle and Lowe again it was only fair we give them a chance to test themselves and when the bid comes in we have to take in on current merits - Not what they might be worth or could be worth

If a bid comes in for Sibely all these factors will come into play - Does the player want to leave? Is anyone else interested? Do we want the extra investment to bring in 2/3 more players for the squad? Do we think we could get a ready made replacement? 

It's not as simple as "we sell because we have no money" or "we say a flat no cos it's Leeds and/or it's not enough money" - There are loads of factors at play and we need to bear that in mind

Slightly off topic - Can anyone remember the last time there was even a suggestion of a bidding war for any of our good players? Maybe Hendrick? But Hughes, Ince, Vydra, Bogle, Lowe etc only seem to have been wanted by one team - Which affects what we can get for them

14 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Hendrick

Hull and Burnley

14 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Vydra

Remember the Leeds commotion? Leeds and Burnley both had discussions with Vydra.

15 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Can anyone remember the last time there was even a suggestion of a bidding war for any of our good players

That's another reason why I'm also saying we'll likely sell for cheap, do we know of any other interest in Sibley?

34 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

That's another reason why I'm also saying we'll likely sell for cheap, do we know of any other interest in Sibley?

There’s no public interest but I’ll tell you now he’s on a lot of clubs radars. He was wanted by Chelsea aswell as wolves a couple years back.

35 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Hull and Burnley

Remember the Leeds commotion? Leeds and Burnley both had discussions with Vydra.

Yeh I vaguely remembered Hendrick having interest from other clubs - Hadn't remembered Vydra but assumed there was a bit to drive up the value

I've not heard anything else about Sibley - So would assume IF Derby were to accept a bid it would be based on the player himself wanting to go and/or an offer decent enough for all parties

Also - We don't know any of the details of Sibley's new contract - Perfectly feasible his agent could have asked for minimum fee release clause in there and that would be set by the club and player/agent

2 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

There’s no public interest but I’ll tell you now he’s on a lot of clubs radars. He was wanted by Chelsea aswell as wolves a couple years back.

One more season scoring ten goals at such a young age and huge bids will start to flood in 

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

OK, but just because we are unlikely to make any permanent signings doesn’t mean that we won’t need cash.

We could need it to fund any remaining transfer business and associated costs - wages, loan fees etc. Especially if we are negotiating with PL clubs who hold a position of power.

We could also need the cash to help with costs associated with running the club during this financial crisis.

Let’s see how this plays out. Maybe you are right and we have nothing to worry about.

I normally am ?

In all seriousness though, I'll be as annoyed as you if we do let Sibley go cheap. Maybe i'm just an eternal optimist but I do feel like we've turned a corner. As you say, only time will tell

3 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I normally am ?

In all seriousness though, I'll be as annoyed as you if we do let Sibley go cheap. Maybe i'm just an eternal optimist but I do feel like we've turned a corner. As you say, only time will tell

On the whole, I think the window has been a positive one, but it’s in jeopardy of being soured if we don’t strengthen the squad sufficiently and we potentially sell Sibley on top of that.

I think everyone would be annoyed if we sold Sibley, cheap or otherwise. You always want one of your own to stay and drive the team forward.

But if it’s for the greater good, most will be able to stomach it. If it helps the finances and helps us to secure 1-2 difference making players, no problem.

It’s interesting that the news of our interest in Wilson has broken at a similar time to Leeds’ interest in Sibley.

Would signing Wilson go some way to softening the blow?

Archived