Louie Sibley

Heisenberg

2 hours ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Controversial, but if we have to accept anything under 25million, then it’s a sad indictment as to where we are as a club. Let’s not forget, he is one of the best players in this age bracket in the UK. 

Would you not say in the current climate any club In this division would accept less than that for such a talent? There is much less income so I can see even more younger players being poached by Prem teams for reduced fees.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

On the whole, I think the window has been a positive one, but it’s in jeopardy of being soured if we don’t strengthen the squad sufficiently and we potentially sell Sibley on top of that.

I think everyone would be annoyed if we sold Sibley, cheap or otherwise. You always want one of your own to stay and drive the team forward.

But if it’s for the greater good, most will be able to stomach it. If it helps the finances and helps us to secure 1-2 difference making players, no problem.

It’s interesting that the news of our interest in Wilson has broken at a similar time to Leeds’ interest in Sibley.

Would signing Wilson go some way to softening the blow?

Cant leeds just have wilson and leave our boy with us? Wilson would not soften blow esp if just a loan again

14 hours ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Controversial, but if we have to accept anything under 25million, then it’s a sad indictment as to where we are as a club. Let’s not forget, he is one of the best players in this age bracket in the UK. 

Transfer fees seem to have no logic to me.  Ultimately they seem to depend on how much the selling club needs the cash or wants to offload a players wages and whether there is any competition for the player. Personally I don't think we'd get anything close to £25mn but I'd love to be wrong (and I'd prefer we keep him).  

Some examples: £25mn is double the fee Everton paid Real Madrid for Rodriguez, £5mn more than Newcastle paid for Callum Wilson or Everton for Doucouré, only £3mn less than Villa paid for Ollie Watkins, £5mn more than Liverpool paid for Thiago, roughly what Wolves paid Barca for Semedo, the same price Leeds paid for Rodrigo, almost double Pierre-Emile Højbjerg move to Spurs; 3 times the fee of Correia going from Juve to Man City, £7mn more than WBA paid West Ham for Diangana, £4mn more than Everton paid Napoli for Allan, 

23 minutes ago, Gritty said:

Transfer fees seem to have no logic to me.  Ultimately they seem to depend on how much the selling club needs the cash or wants to offload a players wages and whether there is any competition for the player. Personally I don't think we'd get anything close to £25mn but I'd love to be wrong (and I'd prefer we keep him).  

Some examples: £25mn is double the fee Everton paid Real Madrid for Rodriguez, £5mn more than Newcastle paid for Callum Wilson or Everton for Doucouré, only £3mn less than Villa paid for Ollie Watkins, £5mn more than Liverpool paid for Thiago, roughly what Wolves paid Barca for Semedo, the same price Leeds paid for Rodrigo, almost double Pierre-Emile Højbjerg move to Spurs; 3 times the fee of Correia going from Juve to Man City, £7mn more than WBA paid West Ham for Diangana, £4mn more than Everton paid Napoli for Allan, 

It’s the huge potential of a very good young goal scoring midfielder that sets the price high but I want to keep him and benefit from him ( not rely on him which we have done this season ) 

as a second note how classless are Leeds United again publicly talking about our player - I suspect they already think they are one of the so called top six 

15 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Forgot that. Efl clubs hung out to dry again by PL poachers

I don't think you really grasp "supply and demand" it actually strengthens EFL clubs position. As premiership clubs can't buy elsewhere during this short interim period.

Also the people who keep putting £20 million + price tags on Sibley .............. really do need a reality check, he has no real pedigree yet, potential yes, but proven pedigree no!

7 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

I don't think you really grasp "supply and demand" it actually strengthens EFL clubs position. As premiership clubs can't buy elsewhere during this short interim period.

Also the people who keep putting £20 million + price tags on Sibley .............. really do need a reality check, he has no real pedigree yet, potential yes, but proven pedigree no!

Anything above 10 million is a huge plus in my opinion .Of course we want that nice little sell on clause in there though .

18 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Would you say Bellingham has pedigree or have Dortmund just paid a reported £25m for potential?

6 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Would you say Bellingham has pedigree or have Dortmund just paid a reported £25m for potential?

Significantly more experience playing for Birmingham than Sibley. Ask me again at the end of a full season in the Championship and then I may have a different opinion. 

13 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Exactly. Bellingham also younger than Louie and only did it for a season. That's why it's so big if Louie can put a good season together. You look at the likes of Eze who went for £16m to Palace from QPR, who's 3 years older.

As @Hathersage Ram says, difference between Bellingham and Eze is they have at least one full season behind them. Sibley has played 17 games in his whole career. If you look at those 17 games, he started with a bang, teams worked us and him out a bit and last few games he has struggled and is not guaranteed a starting place. Eze and Bellingham were first names on the team sheet for their clubs. 
Unless we absolutely have to sell him for P&S compliance or we have some quality signings lined up that his sale would facilitate, this is not the time to sell him if we want maximum value. I think £15m would be optimistic anything north of £10m is good considering where he’s at in his career. He could go to Leeds and become a £50m player, if he got promoted with Derby and proved himself in the premier league, then we would get top dollar. 
I’m still dubious as to whether this will happen and fully expect Sibley to be with us post Friday.

59 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

And I dont think you grasp the definition of patronising. 

20 hours ago, Jubbs said:

http://priceoffootball.com/tag/Derby-county/

I'm now pretty sure you've been living under a rock for the past 3 years if you don't know the state of our finances the past few years.

It's no secret we were 'close' to the P&S limits (even after the stadium sale). But, that doesn't mean we're skint.
It's also no secret that Mel wants to sell the club, most likely because he doesn't have the cash to sustain the level of spending long term. That doesn't mean he's not able  to in the short term.

I'm not sure what your point is by referring to that article. He used the account to estimate a P&S overspend of £14m, when the actual figure was £17.5m under the limit. Out by some considerable margin. We should have been about £3m under the limit in the 3 years to 2019, and I estimate about the same for the 2021 period. There appears to be no reason for is to sell someone to meet P&S limits.

20 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Why did we need to take the loan in the first place? 

Cash flow

18 hours ago, Jubbs said:

That's another reason why I'm also saying we'll likely sell for cheap, do we know of any other interest in Sibley?

Confirmed interest from Wolves. Given his performances at youth level (club and country), I'd be surprised if all the top clubs in the country weren't at least watching him.

Archived