Charlie Austin - joined QPR on loan

DCFC1388

I don't understand people that would be against this. 

People seem happy to sign an unproven 29 year old from the German second division.

But don't want a proven Championship goalscorer who's also scored a fair few in the prem. Despite him being only being about 18 months older.

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way we play isn't too reliant on an out-and-out striker. If Cocu wanted to replace Martin he's looking for a linkup striker, guy who drops deep and brings others in. I haven't seen Austin play for a while but I assume we're not looking at goals for this transfer, but what  he offers dropping deep to pick the ball up.

Sounds like we’re scratching around for a striker. I really don’t understand it when we already had a brilliant striker at the club in Chris Martin. I’d have offered him 2 years with the option of a 3rd. Hope we’ve agreed a buy back fee with Bristol’s. 

40 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Whilst I do prefer the idea of signing a prolific goal scorer over a Bundesliga 2. player, signing a 31 year old striker on large wages after releasing a 31 year old striker on large wages... Where’s the thought process there? 

Oh for God’s sake, let it go! 

Just now, DCFC1388 said:

Cant say im keen on this deal, not the most prolific and I dont think he has the pace to cause defenders trouble or to press high either.

We will know more come Monday when we know the situation with Dursun

Not the most prolific ? Have you seen his goals record? Other than Vydra who have we had who is not the most prolific over the last 10 years ?

8 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I don't understand people that would be against this. 

People seem happy to sign an unproven 29 year old from the German second division.

But don't want a proven Championship goalscorer who's also scored a fair few in the prem. Despite him being only being about 18 months older.

6 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Sounds like we’re scratching around for a striker. I really don’t understand it when we already had a brilliant striker at the club in Chris Martin. I’d have offered him 2 years with the option of a 3rd. Hope we’ve agreed a buy back fee with Bristol’s. 

035723F5-5AF7-41E2-92F4-FB94FEB68C53.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Oh god no. He’s old, slow and totally shot. We’ve already got Rooney for that. A panic buy which is everything we didn’t need. Knew it was too good to be true the recruitment we’ve done this window. This is much more a return to the normal poo show. Undoes all the previous good working by messing up the most important signing of all - replacing Chris Martin. Ducks sake

He's nearly a year younger than Martin. His games never been about pace and he can certainly handle himself.  Don't know if he's still good for 20 a year 10-15 will do. 

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He's nearly a year younger than Martin. His games never been about pace and he can certainly handle himself.  Don't know if he's still good for 20 a year 10-15 will do. 

It’s not all about age though, it’s about how he’s declining. About half his goals last season were pens. West Brom fans seems to absolutely hate him, talk about him the same way we talked about Nugent - he’s finished.

He's 31 big ducking deal, Vardy is world class and if he played for Liverpool could score 30 a season and is 33, Zlatan although an exceptional talent, like Austin he doesnt rely on pace and is 39 this month and is still a top quality player. 31 isn't old anymore not for a striker, 33 or 34 is old for most players but 31 is not too bad just needs to keep himself fit. Even if he declines after this year if we get a good season out of him who cares about next season when we have Duncan coming through and will probably buy another striker next summer if Waghorn or Marriott leave. 

Not sure about his link up play though to be honest,  he is very strong and good at getting tap ins and headers atleast. 

An attack of 

Austin

Jozwiak Lawrence Ibe

On paper is automatic promotion quality if Ibe can get back to his best and Jozwiak is as good as hoped. Should be at least good enough for a top 6 push if the defence doesnt leak in as many goals. 

15 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

3 more years?? Thank God that's not happening. 

When Forest signed Lyle Taylor. Our fans were saying what a good signing it was to bring in. Even saw some say we should have gone in for him.

Lyle Taylor is 9 months younger than Austin and has had one good season at this level where he scored 12 last season.

Guarentee our fans would have been happy with signing him.

Also worth noting that if Charlie Austin wants to leave to play football there isn't a team at this level that will pay Austin anywhere near what he's on at WBA so he'll be well aware he's gonna have to take a big pay cut.

Archived